Bought D Day Sealed, but there is no UK Blonde Units

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@CWO:

My plastic storage trays are set up so that the butternut-grey ANZAC-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(2) stand in for Australia, New Zealand and South Africa while the butternut-grey British-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(1) stand in for Canada (which is understood to include Newfoundland, and which in principle would also include Eire if it ever went from being neutral to Allied).  That covers the six Commonwealth Dominions, in two groups of three each.  The only cross-set transfer I had to do was to allocate some of the AAP40(2) ANZAC AAA guns to the Canadian set, since AAP40(1) lacked an AAA sculpt.

That is cool because the Anzac pieces are so different from 1st Edition to 2nd Edition. Nice! :-D

• @John:

That is cool because the Anzac pieces are so different from 1st Edition to 2nd Edition. Nice!

Yes, the difference in sculpt shapes makes possible this two-way split, while at the same time the common butternut grey colour allows these two sets to be treated collectively as the Commonwealth Dominion powers.  The Canada / Newfoundland / [Eire, if not neutral] set is tied by colour to the Australia / New Zealand / South Africa sculpt set, and is tied by shape to the UK sculpt set, so it serves as the connector for what can be considered an overall “Britain and Commonwealth” super-set.

• @John:

I will have to use HBG’s sculpts. They have UK Blonde, Celery Green coming up in their new United Kingdom Set.

The HBG celery green units will open up interesting possibilities, but an alternate “purist” approach (using just OOB A&A pieces) is to allocate the OOB celery green equipment pieces (which, as I recall, are from Revised) to China, since their colour is roughly similar to the lime green Chinese troop pieces in Pacific 1940 and Anniversary.  China has for most practical purposes no equipment under the official rules, so the fact that the Revised sculpt set lacks many of the later units types isn’t a problem, since the only units that would plausibly see use by China are the artillery and fighter units (unless one gets into house rules that give China more resources).  This allocation leaves the celery green British infantry units without any equipment, but that problem is easily solved by using those infantry sculpts as special troops such as Royal Marines, similarly to the rich dark green USMC sculpts that were included in the original Pacific game.

@CWO:

@John:

I will have to use HBG’s sculpts. They have UK Blonde, Celery Green coming up in their new United Kingdom Set.

The HBG celery green units will open up interesting possibilities, but an alternate “purist” approach (using just OOB A&A pieces) is to allocate the OOB celery green equipment pieces (which, as I recall, are from Revised) to China, since their colour is roughly similar to the lime green Chinese troop pieces in Pacific 1940 and Anniversary.  China has for most practical purposes no equipment under the official rules, so the fact that the Revised sculpt set lacks many of the later units types isn’t a problem, since the only units that would plausibly see use by China are the artillery and fighter units (unless one gets into house rules that give China more resources).  This allocation leaves the celery green British infantry units without any equipment, but that problem is easily solved by using those infantry sculpts as special troops such as Royal Marines, similarly to the rich dark green USMC sculpts that were included in the original Pacific game.

Well that could work too, because China doesn’t have much going for it. With all our ideas, this gives people an idea of what they can do for their games. Awesome discussion! :-)

• Customizer

@John:

@toblerone77:

@JB. I bought some from HBG also. I just like having too many. Next payday I’ll be rejuvenating my maroon Russian Army. As for painting I so paint some of my units for flavor. It takes time and goes in spurts for me but I’ve painted units here and there just to give my game some character.

I’m not say you must or mustn’t paint but for all those thinking about it, just remember YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAINT ALL OF THEM! LOL! A few, maybe one of each nation and type gives your game flavor as is very fun and worth while to do.

Tolerone77, I know what your saying. Unfortunately, I’m a completest and always have been, and I know once I start something, I’m going to want them all done. For me that adds up to dollar signs, because I wouldn’t be the one to paint them. It would be my brother, and he is going to charge me by the piece. I don’t have the time or patience to paint them myself, nor would I enjoy it. I’m just being honest, LOL.

I just wanted to show others, you can still have fun and being creative by using different color units.

I admire you and others work. It is awesome. I’ve met Tall Paul and seen his pieces, and they are awesome, but I wouldn’t sit there and paint them myself. It is just not in me. I enjoy going to customization thread and seeing what everyone is doing.

Everyone has there thing. Painting is not one of them. I hope that explains it. Kudos to those that have the gift and will power, because it does take the game to another level visually.

For those that do paint their pieces, I will admire your pieces in the customization thread. :-D

Yes John I’m kind of a “Heinz '57” collector. I share the same passion for solid color pieces. I like to paint common easily available pieces but save the rarer pieces for the same reason you and Marc do. It’s always fun to talk about. I also really like to help fellow piece junkies when I can. As for solid painting I know knp and Der Kuenstler have painted solid color pieces like grey Germans and yellow Japanese pieces for their games.

Good Stuff Gents.

@toblerone77:

@John:

@toblerone77:

@JB. I bought some from HBG also. I just like having too many. Next payday I’ll be rejuvenating my maroon Russian Army. As for painting I so paint some of my units for flavor. It takes time and goes in spurts for me but I’ve painted units here and there just to give my game some character.

I’m not say you must or mustn’t paint but for all those thinking about it, just remember YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAINT ALL OF THEM! LOL! A few, maybe one of each nation and type gives your game flavor as is very fun and worth while to do.

Tolerone77, I know what your saying. Unfortunately, I’m a completest and always have been, and I know once I start something, I’m going to want them all done. For me that adds up to dollar signs, because I wouldn’t be the one to paint them. It would be my brother, and he is going to charge me by the piece. I don’t have the time or patience to paint them myself, nor would I enjoy it. I’m just being honest, LOL.

I just wanted to show others, you can still have fun and being creative by using different color units.

I admire you and others work. It is awesome. I’ve met Tall Paul and seen his pieces, and they are awesome, but I wouldn’t sit there and paint them myself. It is just not in me. I enjoy going to customization thread and seeing what everyone is doing.

Everyone has there thing. Painting is not one of them. I hope that explains it. Kudos to those that have the gift and will power, because it does take the game to another level visually.

For those that do paint their pieces, I will admire your pieces in the customization thread. :-D

Yes John I’m kind of a “Heinz '57” collector. I share the same passion for solid color pieces. I like to paint common easily available pieces but save the rarer pieces for the same reason you and Marc do. It’s always fun to talk about. I also really like to help fellow piece junkies when I can. As for solid painting I know knp and Der Kuenstler have painted solid color pieces like grey Germans and yellow Japanese pieces for their games.

Good Stuff Gents.

Yeah, it is a blast talking about this stuff. Well man, I better get to bed. I’m getting in bed late, here in Texas, and I have to get up for work. Take care! :-D

@MidnightExpress:

Just to chime in,
    I use the OOB UK pieces for the British Army, D-Day blonde UK pieces for the Indian Army, Revised UK green pieces for Canada, Pacific salmon UK pieces for South Africa, and the two sets of ANZAC grey units as Australia and New Zealand. I never bothered to give China any of the Revised UK green pieces, in my eye they’re not a good match.

When the new Chinese Global Expansion set comes out, it will probably solve all our Chinese equipment problems. We can only hope. :-)

• Another trick for expanding the number of powers represented by the OOB sculpts is to take advantage of the fact that a couple of the sculpt colours in A&A 1914 are near-perfect matches for Global 1940 sculpt colours, and some of the others are reasonably similar.  I posted some comparative pictures in this thread…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30440.0

…and as far as I can tell the 1914 Russians match the 1940 Italians, and the 1914 Italians match the 1940 Japanese.  One way to take advantage of this similarity is to allocate the 1940 equipment pieces to infantry sculpts representing four countries rather than two: the 1940 equipment for Italy would be split between the 1940 medium brown Italian troops (representing Italy) and the medium brown 1914 Russian troops (representing a minor power – for example the Central European Axis Minors).  Ditto for the burnt orange 1940 equipment for Japan, which would be split between the 1940 Japanese troops (representing Japan) and the 1914 Italian troops (representing a minor power – for example Thailand).  A variant of this idea is give these minor powers just a few modern sculpts from the 1940 game, and to have the bulk of their forces consist of obsolescent equipment from the 1914 game.

The same thing could be done with the less-than-perfect colour matches: the 1914 French are reasonably close to the 1940 French, the 1914 Germans are somewhat close to the Milton Bradley dark grey Germans, and the 1914 Americans are somewhat close to the Milton Bradley khaki green Americans.

@CWO:

Another trick for expanding the number of powers represented by the OOB sculpts is to take advantage of the fact that a couple of the sculpt colours in A&A 1914 are near-perfect matches for Global 1940 sculpt colours, and some of the others are reasonably similar.  I posted some comparative pictures in this thread…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30440.0

…and as far as I can tell the 1914 Russians match the 1940 Italians, and the 1914 Italians match the 1940 Japanese.  One way to take advantage of this similarity is to allocate the 1940 equipment pieces to infantry sculpts representing four countries rather than two: the 1940 equipment for Italy would be split between the 1940 medium brown Italian troops (representing Italy) and the medium brown 1914 Russian troops (representing a minor power – for example the Central European Axis Minors).  Ditto for the burnt orange 1940 equipment for Japan, which would be split between the 1940 Japanese troops (representing Japan) and the 1914 Italian troops (representing a minor power – for example Thailand).  A variant of this idea is give these minor powers just a few modern sculpts from the 1940 game, and to have the bulk of their forces consist of obsolescent equipment from the 1914 game.Â

The same thing could be done with the less-than-perfect colour matches: the 1914 French are reasonably close to the 1940 French, the 1914 Germans are somewhat close to the Milton Bradley dark grey Germans, and the 1914 Americans are somewhat close to the Milton Bradley khaki green Americans.

That is an awesome idea, but sadly, that is the only axis and allies edition I don’t have. I heard it is an awesome game, but because the sculpts weren’t anything special and I heard that a lot of people did not have enough pieces, I decided to pass on it. Then recent months, I heard IL was developing a World War 1 game and that has got me interested in a World War 1 game again.

I see what your saying. If you have that game, it gives you options, which is cool. :-)

• @John:

That is an awesome idea, but sadly, that is the only axis and allies edition I don’t have. I heard it is an awesome game, but because the sculpts weren’t anything special and I heard that a lot of people did not have enough pieces, I decided to pass on it.

You might want to pick one up anyway, just in case you realize ten years down the line that the game (at that point long out of print) had some desirable feature which was never replicated in later printings or other games.  The original printing of D-Day – the one with the blonde British pieces – illustrates this principle.

@CWO:

@John:

That is an awesome idea, but sadly, that is the only axis and allies edition I don’t have. I heard it is an awesome game, but because the sculpts weren’t anything special and I heard that a lot of people did not have enough pieces, I decided to pass on it.

You might want to pick one up anyway, just in case you realize ten years down the line that the game (at that point long out of print) had some desirable feature which was never replicated in later printings or other games.  The original printing of D-Day – the one with the blonde British pieces – illustrates this principle.  Â

Trust me it is always in the back of my mind, but I want to see how IL’s game does this year, because he says it is suppose to come out this year. If it doesn’t, do I need to buy two to have enough pieces?

• Customizer

@CWO:

…and the 1914 Americans are somewhat close to the Milton Bradley khaki green Americans.

I’ve often thought it might be cool to use the 1914 US infantry in the initial 1940 setup as sort of “pre-war” infantry…after all, the doughboy helmet was still in common use by the Americans until 1942.

• @CWO:

My plastic storage trays are set up so that the butternut-grey ANZAC-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(2) stand in for Australia, New Zealand and South Africa while the butternut-grey British-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(1) stand in for Canada (which is understood to include Newfoundland, and which in principle would also include Eire if it ever went from being neutral to Allied).  That covers the six Commonwealth Dominions, in two groups of three each.  The only cross-set transfer I had to do was to allocate some of the AAP40(2) ANZAC AAA guns to the Canadian set, since AAP40(1) lacked an AAA sculpt.

I would have used the generic AA gun for Canada just for zero cross-set transfer

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m