Brainstorming for the Central Powers

• So is it here like in most internet forums?

IF it comes to constructive work which might need some effort all posters are gone!
    Bla bla bla seems all that counts…!  :-(

Has anybody elaborated a at least theoretically consistent Italy strategy?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@xxstefanx:

So is it here like in most internet forums?

IF it comes to constructive work which might need some effort all posters are gone!
    Bla bla bla seems all that counts…!  :-(

Has anybody elaborated a at least theoretically consistent Italy strategy?

Build lots of artillery, and a plane or two.  Make Hungary pay for their meal.

• Customizer

There shouldn’t be anything remotely like an “Italy strategy”.

If the Allies all act in their own individual interests they will lose. If they act according to a coordinated strategy they should win.

• @Flashman:

There shouldn’t be anything remotely like an “Italy strategy”.

If the Allies all act in their own individual interests they will lose. If they act according to a coordinated strategy they should win.

Even then, the Allies may still win when they act in their own individual interests.

• '10

I think he’s talking about a kill Italy strategy.  It’s actually kinda tempting, with Italy being the poorest of the Allies.  They have no solid way to get reinforcements, either–at least not 'til America gets in the game.

Italy Crush could certainly work to some extent, at least. No way can they stand up to the combined might of Germany and the Hungries, and if you can arrange it so the Germans end up taking Rome, the jerries would have a place to build boats in the Med (you can build from captured seaports, right?), which would take a bit of heat off the Ottomans.

The question would be where to pull juice from.  I’m liking the “stall France, build G-Boats” approach, but I’ve used it to roll up Russia instead of other Allies.  If you’re willing to forego totally removing Russia A.S.A.P., some original German units could divert south.

Brainstorming.

• Customizer

No, you can’t build from captured seaports, nor can their mines be used against enemy ships. All you do by capturing them is stop the enemy using them.

• '10

Hmm, there goes that, then.

• Eudemonist understood it right: Of course Kill Italy (fast) and Kill Russia (fast) is meant.

Point is: I am especially interested how an Italy Crush would be effectively performed! And if it it a viable strategy at all!

Purchases, Moves, Battles per round for all forces as of course one crucial point is how to balance the other fronts if moving as much as possible towards Italy!
    And what is the maximum pressure there? How much of the new builds can go towards Italy? What are the best OT moves to support the strategy … and so on.

A detailled picture…

• Our experience with a kill Italy first hasn’t been to good. The CP can def against the Russians, but they are generally fighting both the Italians and French in Italy (can’t really go full tilt to Italy, and put the French on their heals). The French will activate the Albanians, and the Italians pick them up and bring them home. The French also send over the Portuguese to Rome, bulk up in Burgundy, and follow them in. They can also transport units ahead as well (or pick up a few units from North Africa) after they drop off the Portuguese. Even if the CP manage to drop Rome, they probably aren’t coming out, and the US is also now in the picture. I’m not saying it can’t work, but the allies have some tricks up their sleeves.

• @WILD:

Our experience with a kill Italy first hasn’t been to good. The CP can def against the Russians, but they are generally fighting both the Italians and French in Italy (can’t really go full tilt to Italy, and put the French on their heals). The French will activate the Albanians, and the Italians pick them up and bring them home. The French also send over the Portuguese to Rome, bulk up in Burgundy, and follow them in. They can also transport units ahead as well (or pick up a few units from North Africa) after they drop off the Portuguese. Even if the CP manage to drop Rome, they probably aren’t coming out, and the US is also now in the picture. I’m not saying it can’t work, but the allies have some tricks up their sleeves.

What was your kill Italy first strategy?

• I use the kill Italy first strategy.

Austrians and Ottomans go after them, while Germany goes for France which forces UK to help only France. When Italy is gone the French crumble as Austrians attack south France.

We hold the Russians at bay until Italy falls and can win at Paris. Ottomans help out against Russia after Italy falls.

• @Imperious:

I use the kill Italy first strategy.

Austrians and Ottomans go after them, while Germany goes for France which forces UK to help only France. When Italy is gone the French crumble as Austrians attack south France.

We hold the Russians at bay until Italy falls and can win at Paris. Ottomans help out against Russia after Italy falls.

IL, I’m not sure how you would have the Ottomans go after Italy (could you elaborate?). It would take them 4 turns just to get to Venice moving one territory at a time (haven’t seen too many transports for the CP in the Med). I think it could be viable w/Larry’s 2-move, but in the slow paced OOB I don’t see the Turks doing anything in a KIF, other then watch the Austrians back side and help def against Russia. The Turks need to keep fighting for their own territories (Balkans/Mid East/Russia), and try to improve their income to be relevant. If they send a good size force to the west, they will surly fall because they won’t be gaining any income moving through Austrian land.

Normally what I’ve seen in a KIF is the Austrians hit Venice with everything that can get there A1 (to try and capture it), and keep sending in reinforcements over the next few turns. Although I haven’t tried it, I also like the thought of attacking Tuscany with a couple inf A1 just to trade units with the Italians and get bombardment (would continue transporting over a few troops as long as the navy lives).

The Germans are generally split between defending against Russia (along with the Turks and a contingent from Austria as needed), and heading off the French in Northern Italy so they don’t sandwich the Austrians between themselves, and the Italians. When the Germans have to split their forces between Russia, and France, they aren’t going to be pushing anyone around IMO, only trying to hold the line (sure they may get a slight advantage on one front, but they will stall). Sometimes the Germans will need to splinter off and go into Rome to mop up.

In our games the French activate the Albanians so the Italians can bring them back to Rome, and continuously transport defending units into Italy. By the time Austria gets to Rome, they find a pretty damn good size force waiting for them. It isn’t going to fall in just one turn, and this stall works to the allies advantage, because the supply lines are much faster for the French into Italy (through Burgundy, or by transport), then for either of the CPs (but at least the Italians aren’t making much by this time, and only getting a couple inf). You can knock the hell out of Italy, you might even be able to take Rome, but the French aren’t exactly shaking in their boots, and Russia isn’t going anywhere either. Plus by time you actually take Rome, the US can be in position to liberate them. Your depleted attacking force will be defending now, and your supply lines are still very long.

Although Italy might be the weakest allied power, they are in good position to receive help. The “Boot”  can also be a trap killing off many CP units. I think in order for the CP to have a chance OOB, they must go after one of the big guns (Russia, or France). I’m not sure if the CP can afford to get into a naval arms race (and keep a steady flow of ground troops), but the sea is a very powerful tool for the allies.

• @Imperious:

I use the kill Italy first strategy.

french are strong enough to hold germans on their own, and the russians cannot be stopped with just austrians and ottomans, certainly if austrians assault italy and brits are pushing against ottomans (because they don’t really need to help defend france)

• And surviving Italians are repaired in the same round. I have no idea why this would be a good strategy. Having my AH fleet bolstered by a sub every turn makes it so that others can’t move their navies away and when the French or whoever move their fleet away i immediatly attack the fleet that remains. And by the time Rome is conquered then the mines are gone and by that time my five subs can wreak havoc on all ships with no minefield to stop them after their first move out of the Adriatic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m