Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• Official Q&A

The FAQ has been updated with an erratum allowing the Central Powers to decline the armistice offer resulting from the Russian Revolution.

• '22 '19 '18

Can the US move into a sz with central power mines while still neutral and then when they declare war on round 4 can they attack the said CP navy without having to roll for mines?

• Yes.
    Not sure I think that is fair, but they are the rules. You only roll for mines when you enter a hostile SZ.

• I have a question about transport of multinational forces.

If American units embarked a British transport on one round (and waited at the origin for the rest of the round), then the British transport moved these units on its movement phase of a second round, would the American units be able to unload during the same round on the American movement phase immediately following the Italian turn (in the order of play)?

If the situation were reversed, would British units be at a disadvantage using American transports, and have to wait onboard as the destination until the next round to disembark (due to order of play)?

What I’m trying to figure out is the game terminology of “Rounds” and “Turns” in AA1914 as it applies to using allied transports. It seems that there’s an opportunity to “game” the system here that I haven’t appreciated.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Blue Max!

@Blue:

If American units embarked a British transport on one round (and waited at the origin for the rest of the round), then the British transport moved these units on its movement phase of a second round, would the American units be able to unload during the same round on the American movement phase immediately following the Italian turn (in the order of play)?

Yes.

@Blue:

If the situation were reversed, would British units be at a disadvantage using American transports, and have to wait onboard as the destination until the next round to disembark (due to order of play)?

They would have to wait, but it’s not a disadvantage.  In either case, the land units and/or fighters load on the owning power’s turn, then offload on it’s next turn, in two different rounds.

@Blue:

What I’m trying to figure out is the game terminology of “Rounds” and “Turns” in AA1914 as it applies to using allied transports. It seems that there’s an opportunity to “game” the system here that I haven’t appreciated.

A “round of play” is simply a sequence of each power having a turn, starting with Austria-Hungary and ending with the United States.  Since any power must load and offload their land units and/or fighters on separate turns when using an ally’s transport, they will never load and offload in the same round, regardless of the turn order.

• Hi there,

Here is a question about capturing and liberating capitals:
    Austria captures Moscow. According to the rulebook Austria not only controls Moskow tt but also gets all the Russian IPC. In the following Russian turn, the Russians cannot purchase any new units but nevertheless menage to liberate Moscow. The Russians may now collect IPC income from all the Russian territories they control but the Austrians do not return any IPC. So far, it is all very clear. But a few days ago it happened that in the following Austrian turn, the Austria captured Moscow again: do the Austrian gets all the Russian IPC again?

• Yes. That is right Federico. (Italiano, per caso?)welcome to tbe
    Beware when liberating a capital, that you can keep it for a round, or this situation will arise. You are then gifting your enemy money twice!

• Ok, this is the rule, I accept it but I hardly understand it. BTW, yes I am Italian.

• Always been like that with A&A.
    Son Leo e abito in Inghilterra da quando ho avuto un anno, ma son nato a Firenze. Saluti.

• Hi, here is another question.

I am confused by the last sentence of the paragraph at page 12 regarding “mobilising a minor neutral power”. It states that “neutrality of a territory can only be violated once”. So, what does happen to a minor neutral power that was previously invaded and activated but that after some turns ends up with no units at all in it? Is the minor neutral power still controlled by the last power that had units there or does it become neutral again? If the second one should be the case what happens if this country is invaded again?

Even more difficult: Germany invades Holland. Holland mobilises and British troops are choosen to represent the mobilised forces. However, in the following combact all units (Germans and British) are lost. So no unit remains in Holland and nobody take control of Holland. What does happen if the British enter Holland in their following turn? And what does happen if the French enter Holland in their following turn?

• It belongs to the nation that activated it. Place a National roundel on it and change your Income accordingly. It will remain the last owner’s until captured by an enemy.

Holland remains British, if no German ground units occupy it.
    Even if the French enter it, it remains British.

• Official Q&A

@Federico:

I am confused by the last sentence of the paragraph at page 12 regarding “mobilising a minor neutral power”. It states that “neutrality of a territory can only be violated once”. So, what does happen to a minor neutral power that was previously invaded and activated but that after some turns ends up with no units at all in it? Is the minor neutral power still controlled by the last power that had units there or does it become neutral again?

It depends upon how the territory came to have no units in it.  If the units simply moved away, the last power to have control retains it.  If the units wiped each other out in combat, no power will assume control, and the territory will remain uncontrolled until a power moves units into it.  In either case, it is no longer neutral.

@Federico:

Even more difficult: Germany invades Holland. Holland mobilises and British troops are choosen to represent the mobilised forces. However, in the following combact all units (Germans and British) are lost. So no unit remains in Holland and nobody take control of Holland.

Correct.

@Federico:

What does happen if the British enter Holland in their following turn?

The British take control of it.

@Federico:

And what does happen if the French enter Holland in their following turn?

If they are the first to enter, they take control.  If the British got there first, it remains British-controlled.

• The FAQ says that
    “Land units that begin the turn in contested territories can only be moved to territories that at the beginning of the turn were either controlled by your power or contained units belonging to your power.”

This means that you can’t retreat units from contested territories to your ally’s territory of that allied territory contains none of your units?

Also, can countries with captured capitals not repair their battleships?

• You have understood correctly about retreats, Calvinhobbesliker.

Re Battleships, that is right: they could not repair at the captured capital. However,  Battleships belonging to a nation whose capital has been captured, can repair at an ally’s port or one that has been captured by its alliance.

• But the rulebook says that countries without their capital skip all but their Movement and Combat phases, including the Purchase and Repair phase, which means they can’t repair anything, right?

• How can I play axis and allies 1914 online, I’ve been looking everywhere but can’t find where.

• Calvinhobbesliker: I am sorry. I have looked and have just seen what you said.
    That is a shock. Did not think to look on page 20.
    The rule about repairing Battleships was changed though (from oy uour own comtrolled territory to an Allied one too).  Perhaps this was missed.
    Why would an ally not repair your ship at his port?
    Krieg: please tell us.

• Also, is Ireland considered a homeland territory of the British Empire for the PTR? It’s not connected to London, but it is in the same continent and is part of the British Isles…

• Official Q&A

No, you can’t repair your battleships while your capital is held by the enemy, even at a friendly power’s naval base.  Repairing ships costs money, even if it is not enough to register as 1 IPC.

Ireland is not a British homeland territory.

• Thank you Krieghund. I had hoped it was an oversight. Calvinhobbesliker: great catch. I missed that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m