• Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I couldn’t find a rules, or faq, or new player category.

I’m currently serving in the middle east, and to break up the monotony I ordered axis and allies 1942 2nd edition.  We have risk, but I’ve never been very fond of that game, seems to simplistic to me.  I’ve always been drawn to the strategic sea battles, bombardments, air battles, etc etc in this game.  So for the first time playing it and reading the supplied rules, we found ourselves scratching our heads at certain points where there seemed to be no direction.  If you could take some time to answer some questions, I would really appreciate it.

1.  During the battle phase, it simply says put all attacking and all defending units on the battle strip.  Does this include every unit in the territory?  Because I was using a fighter, and the space had some tanks and infantry, so would they be thrown on the strip as well to take out my fighter?  That just doesn’t make sense to me so I’m doubting that’s the case.  Also, if I attacked a bomber with a fighter, and the space also had AAA and an enemy fighter on it as well, would the defender use the AAA, fighter, and bomber for defense rolls?  Is the fighter optional?

2.  Do units take any kind of damage counters, or does it work in a way where if they are successfully hit by an attacking force, they are simply destroyed (easiest example to think of for me is battleship…the ship gets hit but doesnt sink until 4 successful hits).  Also on that, if I successfully hit one out of 3 units of the defending force, do I decide what is destroyed, the defender, or do we roll a die or something to let chance decide?

I can’t really think of anymore blaring questions right now, but I’m sure I’ll have more.  Learning this game for the first time with (what I believe) a very vague rulebook is about as fun as slamming my head against a wall repeatedly.  If you guys can help me out (mainly with the battlephase) I would really appreciate this.  If at all possible, just describe the whole battle phase as detailed as possible.  Three of us have been skimming the net to find anything about our questions and our searches have returned fruitless.  I hope that doesn’t just mean everyone else gets it and we’re stupid :P.

Again, thanks for any help at all.

• @jhett07:

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I couldn’t find a rules, or faq, or new player category.

I’m currently serving in the middle east, and to break up the monotony I ordered axis and allies 1942 2nd edition.  We have risk, but I’ve never been very fond of that game, seems to simplistic to me.  I’ve always been drawn to the strategic sea battles, bombardments, air battles, etc etc in this game.  So for the first time playing it and reading the supplied rules, we found ourselves scratching our heads at certain points where there seemed to be no direction.  If you could take some time to answer some questions, I would really appreciate it.

1.  During the battle phase, it simply says put all attacking and all defending units on the battle strip.  Does this include every unit in the territory?  Because I was using a fighter, and the space had some tanks and infantry, so would they be thrown on the strip as well to take out my fighter?  That just doesn’t make sense to me so I’m doubting that’s the case.  Also, if I attacked a bomber with a fighter, and the space also had AAA and an enemy fighter on it as well, would the defender use the AAA, fighter, and bomber for defense rolls?  Is the fighter optional?

When you’re attacking a territory you can’t attack specific units, but you attack all of the enemy units on that territory. On your example all of those units would defend against the fighter: tanks, infantry, AAA, fighter and bomber

2.  Do units take any kind of damage counters, or does it work in a way where if they are successfully hit by an attacking force, they are simply destroyed (easiest example to think of for me is battleship…the ship gets hit but doesnt sink until 4 successful hits).  Also on that, if I successfully hit one out of 3 units of the defending force, do I decide what is destroyed, the defender, or do we roll a die or something to let chance decide?

The owner of the units decides to which ones are removed from the battlestrip, both for the attacker and the defender, with the defender choosing first before firing back. And the Battleship can only take 2 hits, not 4.

I can’t really think of anymore blaring questions right now, but I’m sure I’ll have more.  Learning this game for the first time with (what I believe) a very vague rulebook is about as fun as slamming my head against a wall repeatedly.  If you guys can help me out (mainly with the battlephase) I would really appreciate this.  If at all possible, just describe the whole battle phase as detailed as possible.  Three of us have been skimming the net to find anything about our questions and our searches have returned fruitless.  I hope that doesn’t just mean everyone else gets it and we’re stupid :P.

Again, thanks for any help at all.

Just keep asking :)

• How do I know how many hits a unit can take?  Does it matter what unit successfully hits another unit (ex. does an artillery piece do more damage than an infantry piece, or are they both the same, and all that matters is whether it actually lands a hit?)

Also, when I said battleship and 4 hits, I was referring to the game battleship…I should have clarified :P

And If I attack all of the pieces on that territory, lets say I get past 3 of them without getting hit, but I hit them.  Do they all take damage/die?  Or does it work where I can only attack one at a time?..Or (I think I just had an epiphany) I only roll once, and he rolls all of his once, and we just decide that way?

• @jhett07:

How do I know how many hits a unit can take?  Does it matter what unit successfully hits another unit (ex. does an artillery piece do more damage than an infantry piece, or are they both the same, and all that matters is whether it actually lands a hit?)

Also, when I said battleship and 4 hits, I was referring to the game battleship…I should have clarified :P

And If I attack all of the pieces on that territory, lets say I get past 3 of them without getting hit, but I hit them.  Do they all take damage/die?  Or does it work where I can only attack one at a time?..Or (I think I just had an epiphany) I only roll once, and he rolls all of his once, and we just decide that way?

You place all the attacking units and the defending units present on the territoryon the battlestrip. Then the attacker rolls the same number of dice as the number of units on his strip category (1s, 2s, 3s, 4). The total amount of attacker hits is announced. The defender then assigns hits to units and moves them to the casualty zone or off strip. It then rolls the same number of dice as the number of his units (both still alive and the ones who just got removed) and the attacker assigns them to this own units, removing them immediately. If the territory is not conquered attacker decides either to press the attack (and do another round of fighting) or retreat.

• OK, that clears up a lot for me.  Why didn’t YOU write the rules?! :P

But I’m still kinda confused on what you said earlier about the battleship, how it could take 2 hits.  Is there a chart or something I missed what units can take how much damage?  And when damaged, does that affect their defending or attacking rolls?

• Just tilt the battleship on its side to mark that it took one hit.  It is the only unit that behaves in this fashion.

In the old editions at least, you then “repair” the battleship after combat.  Not sure this is still the case.

• @sgtwiltan:

Read that rulebook.
    First time I played we didn’t read the rulebook and kinda went along as the game progressed.
    My co-ally got so pissed at what the sub was able to do to one of his expensive battleships, he flipped the board over scattering the pieces.
    Luckily we were only in garrison with no weapons so only heated words were exchanged. We all read and had a round of questions before playing again.
    Only seemed to get a game going in the barracks on a non pay week since we didn’t have money to go out.
    Back in 88 on Camp Lejeune.

This is how many monopoly games turn out for me….

• @sgtwiltan:

Read that rulebook.
    First time I played we didn’t read the rulebook and kinda went along as the game progressed.
    My co-ally got so pissed at what the sub was able to do to one of his expensive battleships, he flipped the board over scattering the pieces.
    Luckily we were only in garrison with no weapons so only heated words were exchanged. We all read and had a round of questions before playing again.
    Only seemed to get a game going in the barracks on a non pay week since we didn’t have money to go out.
    Back in 88 on Camp Lejeune.

Well, we read the rule book, and admittedly some of the questions I am asking I could find probably find in the rulebook, there were enough questions that we couldn’t answer from the book that I just decided to either find a FAQ, beginners guide, or get on a forum and ask a lot of my questions to the vets of this game.  I probably could have found the battleship question if I had dug deep enough, but we were already stuck on the first battle phase, so I just decided to unload any questions I had on here as a pre-emptive for our next attempt.

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I may ask a few more questions at some point, but this was the biggest problem for us.  Thanks again.

• @jhett07:

OK, that clears up a lot for me.� Why didn’t YOU write the rules?! :P

But I’m still kinda confused on what you said earlier about the battleship, how it could take 2 hits.� Is there a chart or something I missed what units can take how much damage?� And when damaged, does that affect their defending or attacking rolls?

Everything takes one hit with the exception of battleships, which can take two hits.

A damaged battleship still attacks and defends with a “4” roll (scoring hits for a 4, 3, 2, or 1). So, even if you take a “hit” to your battleship, and it’s damaged after a round of combat, it will still be able to roll for "4"s until you choose to take the second hit to it.

Example: (You may want to set up the pieces to visualize) Attacker has three destroyers. Defender has a battleship and a destroyer.

Round one attack: 3 rolls for 2, scoring one hit (pretend). Logically, the defender will take a hit to the battleship so that he will still have his battleship and destroyer in play (the alternative is taking a hit to the destroyer and losing it after retaliation). In taking a hit to the battleship, you signify this by turning it on its side.

Round one defense: 1 roll for 4 (battleship) and 1 roll for 2 (destroyer), scoring one hit from battleship (pretend)

End of first round of combat: Attacker has 2 destroyers. Defender has 1 damaged/“sideways” battleship and 1 destroyer. If the attacker retreats, the battleship regains its upright position (fully restored). If the attacker chooses to continue the battle, the defending battleship will roll for “4” still, despite being damaged.

Edit: I originally had submarines involved, but that just complicates what should be a simple example. I hope this helps.

• Thanks for the help.  Didn’t know that the battleship was basically renewed after taking a hit, thought it stuck with it.  My friend and I just finished the game, and I’m pretty sure we got through without messing up too much.  We did hit a few snags, so I just need to ask a few more things:

AAA Guns:  We understand they can fire at up to 3 aircraft during its attack, but during a whole combat phase, can they only fire that one time?  As in, roll for AAA before you start doing the offensive and defensive attacks and don’t use them again until the whole combat phase is over?

Air Combat:  If you attack and wipe out a territory and only have aircraft left, can they take the territory?  I’m pretty sure I read in the rules you couldn’t, I just couldn’t find the rule again and the rulebook is currently in his room and he’s asleep.  Don’t you need actual ground troops to take over a territory?  That’s how we played (Aircraft cant just land and take a territory).

Anyways, I played the as the allies, and I’m just gonna throw out there it’s a good thing I wasn’t in charge during WWII.  I basically didn’t have any direction or game plan going into it.  My U.S. fleet was split between atlantic and pacific (I now think I probably should have committed to atlantic) russia was probably doing the best, although the tactic seemed fairly obvious for russia, just hold the line, I didn’t really have a strategy with Britain either, and now that I think about it I probably should have considered turning them into more of a major air power since their fleet was destroyed on germany’s turn.  There were a few times when I think a small spot of hope shined, but I quickly screwed those away just by stupid stupid moves which I seemed to realize RIGHT after I completed my turn.  I also learned why it was very important to have a good mix of infantry and tanks to defend rather than ALL TANKS (infantry seemed to be the guys that were demolishing everything during my defense turns).  Anyways, all in all it was pretty fun game.  I think I’ll be better prepared next time.

Also, just a question on the strategy side.  I noticed with fleets that they cant really attack anything but other ships (unless unloading which would be the bombardment),  is naval superiority a huge thing?  Or should I just consider abandoning one of the seas and concentrate on one?  It just felt like I was way to split with America.

• AAA: yes to all. They can be taken as a casualty, so if you think you are going to lose as the defender it is an idea to lose this unit 1st.
    Air: you are right; they cannot take a territory. In non combat they must use their remaining movement to land somewhere you owned at the beginning of your turn. Only ground units can take a territory and they would have to have been in that combat.
    Navy: all depends really. US has to match Japan and needs a fleet to protect the defenceless Transports, with which US recaptures Japanese territory.
    You have to find a balance between both oceans and sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t.
    It’s a great game and only gets better. Enjoy the highs and lows.

• @jhett07:

Anyways, I played the as the allies, and I’m just gonna throw out there it’s a good thing I wasn’t in charge during WWII.  I basically didn’t have any direction or game plan going into it.  My U.S. fleet was split between atlantic and pacific (I now think I probably should have committed to atlantic) russia was probably doing the best, although the tactic seemed fairly obvious for russia, just hold the line, I didn’t really have a strategy with Britain either, and now that I think about it I probably should have considered turning them into more of a major air power since their fleet was destroyed on germany’s turn.  There were a few times when I think a small spot of hope shined, but I quickly screwed those away just by stupid stupid moves which I seemed to realize RIGHT after I completed my turn.  I also learned why it was very important to have a good mix of infantry and tanks to defend rather than ALL TANKS (infantry seemed to be the guys that were demolishing everything during my defense turns).  Anyways, all in all it was pretty fun game.  I think I’ll be better prepared next time.

The Allies have a steeper learning curve than the Axis - I am still getting used to them myself on this edition. The usual infantry to artillery/armor ratio is usually between 1:2 and 1:3 - allows you to soak up any losses on inexpensive infantry and continue attacking.

Also, just a question on the strategy side.  I noticed with fleets that they cant really attack anything but other ships (unless unloading which would be the bombardment),  is naval superiority a huge thing?  Or should I just consider abandoning one of the seas and concentrate on one?  It just felt like I was way to split with America.

Usually is was better to focus on either the Atlantic or the Pacific. The trick with navy is that you need to buy just enough to defeat the other guy’s navy and also to protect your transports from air attacks but without overspending and leaving you with a nice shiny fleet but unable to threaten landings.

• TripleA '12

Hey jhett07, welcome to the boards mate, and glad you’re enjoying the game.  :-) Axis & Allies takes some dedication to master but you will love once you do eventually learn all the rules. However, I would really recommend reading the rulebook again from start to finish when you next get the chance. The wording takes some getting used to - especially if you’re new to the game - but I guarantee it will make a lot more sense the 2nd time around. Anyway, keep at it and let us know if you have any other queries.

• Thanks for the help.  Seems like a nice community to play with.  I will go through the rule book again to kinda clear up a few things, but it should be easier to read now that I know what I’m doing.

Now we are getting two more of our friends in on the game, but it just seems like the game is very lopsided between teams.  Is it very fair for a 5 player game when america, china, and japan seem to be super powerful?  Does that leave Britain and Japan at a larger loss?

• TripleA '12

Hmmm, not really mate. The games produced to seem to be pretty reasonably balanced (or so I am led to believe). But basically, yes it’s 3 vs 2. It will always be a 5 player game in total but obviously you can have less players than that, so long as some players control more than one power (on the same side).

The Axis tend to start out quite strong militarily but with medium economies, whilst the Allies tend to begin with fewer combat units on the map but with larger economies. And so, over time, the Allies should emerge victorious if they can subdue the Axis and prevent further expansion. The Axis need to attack and make many gains in the early-gamein order to consolidate their positions.

• I always play a new A&A game the same way. First time through I play the new game as the old rules with a new setup and a new unit or 2. Second time I read the rulebook first and play through checking the rulebook on every move as I go. Takes forever but I normally only do this for 4-5 rounds. Third game is playing the game start to finish trying to remember the rules without checking the rulebook but if I have to then oh well. All 3 of these games are a me vs. me games just to learn the rules.

This learning tactic is what made Battle of the Bulge and D-day such a pain in the ass to learn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m