TripleA map for Global 1940 Alpha Final

• Customizer

@questioneer:

Wow there seems to be quite a few bugs after all…and the next update isn’t for 2-3 months???..uughh.

Probably need a compiled list of bugs for Garg’s tournament.  That will be hard to keep track of.

Download the latest version of Global 1940 first.  Current version is 2.7

List of bugs (all of which I have fixed for next version):

1. Do not used edit mode to create a battle. (will cause fatal error)

2. If you do an amphibious attack, and there is no sea battle, and the enemy Could Scramble.  Please save the game before the end of your combat move phase.  TripleA will not ask about scrambling unless there is a sea battle.  Please used edit mode to move the enemy fighters manually to create the battle.  Do this before the end of the combat move phase.
    (edit mode -> delete fighter from original territory -> create new fighter in sea zone)

3. If a move is legal, but somehow TripleA does not allow it, use Edit Mode to make it happen.  Also, continue watching for moves that TripleA allows, but are actually illegal.

Things that are not bugs, but you should know about them:

1. Convoy Blockade system uses the average damage, not a dice roll.

2. Do not use technology for Global 1940.

that is it.

I’ll release a new version of global 1940 map soon to fix the bug pomme found.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Thanks V…

• Another new rule that are not yet implemented are that attackers should get to pick what air units are lost to aa hits.

Keep up the good work!  :-)

• Customizer

@Mistergreen:

Another new rule that are not yet implemented are that attackers should get to pick what air units are lost to aa hits.

Keep up the good work!  :-)

Really?

I thought it was chosen randomly?

Actually, we are already able to do this…. we have a game option called “choose aa casualties” which allows it.  I have it turned off because no game since classic uses it.

I like random better… but if this is for real I will change it…

• @Veqryn:

@Mistergreen:

Another new rule that are not yet implemented are that attackers should get to pick what air units are lost to aa hits.

Keep up the good work!  :-)

Really?

I thought it was chosen randomly?

Mistergreen is right.

Alpha final says:

Air Defense:  AA guns can only fire at an air unit when that unit attacks the territory containing
    that AA gun. AA guns fire only once, before the first round of combat. Each AA gun in the
    territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit. In other words, the total
    number of air defense dice rolled is three times the number of AA guns, or the number of
    attacking air units, whichever is the lesser. Once the number of air defense dice is determined,
    the dice are rolled. For each “1” rolled, the attacker must choose one air unit as a casualty.
    These casualties are removed immediately, and will not participate in the remainder of the
    battle. This AA gun attack is made immediately before normal combat occurs in the territory
    containing the AA gun. AA guns do not defend facilities against strategic or tactical bombing.
    Facilities have their own “built in” air defenses.

and

Bombing Run
    Bombers are assigned to targets.
    Strategic bombers can be assigned to any target (IC’s, naval bases. airbase).
    Tactical bombers can be assigned only to naval bases and airbases.
    Each targeted facility fires @ 1, each can fire one time at each bomber that is attacking it.
    All casualties at both stages of the raid are chosen by the owners of the units involved.

(In AA50 and Spring 1942 the defender has to assign specific dice rolls to specific aircraft, if there is a mix of fighters and bombers attacking.)

• Customizer

FYI:

Global was updated today to version 2.8
    (that is the file version)

You guys all need to redownload it.

The fixes:

• Fixed issue with Japanese objective for Trade with America.

• Allowed user to choose AA casualties.

Everyone needs to download it.

Make sure that both you and your opponents have it.  If your opponent does not have it, then you might end up playing by the old version….

A few other items I have noticed in my travels:

1. I could not NCM a british sub into Sz109, because it had a german sub in it.  I also couldn’t NCM a transport to unload there (Which is a LEGAL move in NCM).  I used the edit feature to fix this, but It caused an error screen - and wouldn’t allow me to post the turn summary.

2. When Italy Declares war on Russia, that DOES NOT mean Germany and Russia are automatically at war.  If the german player chooses, he can negate declaring war, so as to collect the +5 IPC bonus for not being at war with Russia.  On the Russian turn, they can then CHOOSE to declare war on Germany.  That said,  if it is turn 5,  Russia can -also- choose to declare war on either Germany, OR Italy.  This becomes increasingly exciting, when post sea-lion or on a G5, that has seen no Attack (to collect the $5), russia can attack places defended by BOTH countries (namely naval elements)  and the other side can’t defend them!  This is a great trick for Russia to sink Italian ships protected by German Planes for example.

3. My opponent in a current game, could not NCM his Japanese sub underneath/past my destroyer.  We used the EDIT feature to fix this.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

A few other items I have noticed in my travels:

1. I could not NCM a british sub into Sz109, because it had a german sub in it.  I also couldn’t NCM a transport to unload there (Which is a LEGAL move in NCM).  I used the edit feature to fix this, but It caused an error screen - and wouldn’t allow me to post the turn summary.

2. When Italy Declares war on Russia, that DOES NOT mean Germany and Russia are automatically at war.  If the german player chooses, he can negate declaring war, so as to collect the +5 IPC bonus for not being at war with Russia.  On the Russian turn, they can then CHOOSE to declare war on Germany.   That said,  if it is turn 5,  Russia can -also- choose to declare war on either Germany, OR Italy.  This becomes increasingly exciting, when post sea-lion or on a G5, that has seen no Attack (to collect the $5), russia can attack places defended by BOTH countries (namely naval elements)  and the other side can’t defend them!  This is a great trick for Russia to sink Italian ships protected by German Planes for example.

3. My opponent in a current game, could not NCM his Japanese sub underneath/past my destroyer.  We used the EDIT feature to fix this.

I’ll work on #2.
    Please give me a savegame for #1.
    You can never move subs under destroyers when at war, i thought.

• Concerning No 3:

From the Rulebook:

“A destroyer cancels the Treat Hostile Sea Zones as Friendly unit characteristic of any enemy submarine that moves into the sea zone with it. This means that the submarine must immediately end its movement, whether combat or noncombat, upon entering the sea zone. If a submarine ends its combat movement in a sea zone with an enemy destroyer combat will result.”

(It’s been like this in AA50 and Spring42, too.)

Reference
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27185.msg956256#msg956256

This post has the American save file - JUST before the British turn
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27185.msg956243#msg956243

#3 Sorry I was typing too fast.  It was a CRUISER and not a destroyer.

Reference
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27185.msg956603#msg956603

• @Gargantua:

Reference

In the end it does not matter whether Destroyer or Cruiser.
    My quotation from the rules was meant as proof, that also on NCM a submarine may enter a hostile seazone.
    Even a hostile seazone with an enemy destroyer in it.

• Customizer

@P@nther:

@Gargantua:

Reference

My quotation from the rules was meant as proof, that also on NCM a submarine may enter a hostile seazone.

So you are allowed now to non-combat move a submarine into a hostile seazone?  Interesting.

Before I fix this, I need to know 1 thing:  Is this also allowed in ANY other A&A rules-set? 
    In other words, can you also do this in AA50 / Spring1942?

(i need to know because when I fix it, I have to tell the engine which rules sets allow what, and not allow what, etc, because there is no separate engine for each game type)

• @Veqryn:

@P@nther:

@Gargantua:

Reference

So you are allowed now to non-combat move a submarine into a hostile seazone?  Interesting.

Before I fix this, I need to know 1 thing:  Is this also allowed in ANY other A&A rules-set? 

(i need to know because when I fix it, I have to tell the engine which rules sets allow what, and not allow what, etc, because there is no separate engine for each game type)

Yes, it is clearly stated in the rules. Keyword for subs is: “Treat hostile seazone as friendly”.
    As well for AA50 as Spring42.
    :-)

If the enemy ship is a destroyer the sub must stop
    (in combat move combat will occur, in NCM the sub’s move just ends). If the enemy ship is any other, the sub may stop or proceed.

• Customizer

@P@nther:

@Veqryn:

@P@nther:

@Gargantua:

Reference

Yes, it is clearly stated in the rules. Keyword for subs is: “Treat hostile seazone as friendly”.

(in combat move combat will occur, in NCM the sub’s move just ends). If the enemy ship is any other, the sub may stop or proceed.

What about Revised and Classic?

Are you sure that in all versions of A&A, you can noncombat move a submarine into and stop in a sea zone with enemy surface warships, regardless of destroyer or not?

Currently, TripleA allows a submarine to pass through a sea zone with enemy surface warships (cruisers), but not stop in (if it is noncombat move).

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Reference
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27185.msg956256#msg956256

This post has the American save file - JUST before the British turn
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27185.msg956243#msg956243

Reference

Hi Garg,

#1. I fixed earlier when Pomme found the bug.  Try it again with a sea zone that isn’t a convoy zone, and you will find that the sub and transport can enter the zone just fine.

#3. This is NOT a bug.  I loaded the save and was able to successfully move the Submarines through the Cruiser.  I don’t know what Chris was doing, but I think he was trying to move it through the nearby destroyer instead.
    You can set the path units take by clicking “CTRL” on the territory you want them to move through.  I clicked “CTRL” on the cruiser’s territory, and was able to move my subs through it, both during combat move and noncombat move.

• @Veqryn:

@P@nther:

@Veqryn:

@P@nther:

@Gargantua:

Reference

What about Revised and Classic?

Are you sure that in all versions of A&A, you can noncombat move a submarine into and stop in a sea zone with enemy surface warships, regardless of destroyer or not?

Currently, TripleA allows a submarine to pass through a sea zone with enemy surface warships (cruisers), but not stop in (if it is noncombat move).

Sorry, I don’t know how it was in Revised and Classic, as I never played those.
    Someone else must help out here, please.

• At least I found something in LHTR2.0 for Revised:

“Special Abilities: Treat Hostile Sea Zones as Friendly: A submarine can move through a sea zone that contains enemy units. However, if it ends its combat move in a hostile sea zone, combat will occur. A submarine cannot end a noncombat move in a hostile sea zone. If a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer, it must end its movement there.”

This indicates that it was different before.

The description for Europe/Pacific/Global/AA50 and Spring42 is:
    “Treat Hostile Sea Zones as Friendly: A submarine can move through a sea zone that contains enemy units, either in combat or noncombat movement. However, if a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer, it must end its movement there. If it ends its combat move in a hostile sea zone, combat will occur.”

HTH :-)

• TripleA '12

I concur with P@nther. However, I have the Revised manual in front of me and it states on page 32:

Treat Hostile Sea Zones as Friendly: A submarine can move through a sea zone that contains enemy units. However, if it ends its combat move in a hostile sea zone, combat will occur. A submarine cannot end a noncombat move in a hostile sea zone. The presence of an enemy destroyer in the same sea zone forces a submarine to stop moving."

But the official Errata/FAQ for Revised states:

"Submarines

Subs have always been confusing. Can you summarize the changes?
    Here’s what you need to remember about subs.

1. Every sub, regardless of whether it’s on the attacking or defending side, fires in the Opening Fire step of combat. That’s the only time a sub ever fires.

2. Losses caused by attacking or defending subs are removed at the end of the Opening Fire step, before normal attack and defense rolls, unless the enemy has a destroyer present.
    If the enemy (attacker or defender) has a destroyer, then hits caused by your subs aren’t removed until the Remove Casualties step (step 6) of combat.

3. In other words, subs work exactly the same for the attacker and the defender. Nothing, not even a destroyer, ever stops a sub from rolling its die (attack or defense) in the opening fire step. What a destroyer does do is let you keep your units that were sunk by enemy subs on the battle board until step 6, allowing them to fire back before going to the scrap heap.

My sub attacks an enemy destroyer and hits it in the opening fire step. Does the destroyer get to shoot back?
    Yes.

My sub attacks an enemy destroyer and aircraft carrier and scores a hit in the opening fire step. What happens?
    One of the two enemy ships is designated as taking the hit (moved to the casualty area of the battle board) but neither is removed from the battle board yet. Both get to shoot back. Let’s say they both miss (rotten luck). In step 6, the casualty is removed. If the destroyer is removed, then the sub has a chance to hit and sink the aircraft carrier in the next round before the carrier can return fire. If the carrier is removed, the sub may hit the destroyer in the next opening fire step but the destroyer is guaranteed a return shot no matter what, because it’s a destroyer.

Assume that my attacking submarine submerges and then the surface ships of my attacking fleet are sunk. What happens next?
    The submarine surfaces at the end of the non-combat movement phase, regardless of what’s in the sea zone. The opponent can shoot at it again during his next combat phase, or move away from it during the combat move. (Nothing prevents the beginning of movement during the combat move, not even the presence of an enemy unit in your units’ space.)

Can submarines attack or defend against fighters? What happens if a lone fighter attacks a sea zone that has four enemy subs in it? Can the subs defend themselves and destroy the fighter, or are the subs just sitting ducks until they submerge?
    Submarines can only hit sea units (p. 15). They must suffer a round of fire from the fighter before they can submerge.

My sub attacks an enemy battleship. Can I sink it with my opening fire if I roll a 1 or 2, or does it still take two hits to sink a battleship?
    It always takes two hits to sink a battleship. Two subs attacking a battleship could sink it in opening fire if both hit. If only one sub attacks, the battleship is guaranteed to get a return shot no matter what because a single sub can’t cause more than one hit per round. If the battleship was hit in the first round and its return shot missed, then the sub could sink it by hitting it again on the second round. The battleship would not get an attack on that second round because it sinks right after the sub’s attack.

An enemy sub attacks my sub. When can I submerge?
    In the Press Attack or Retreat step, same as always.

An enemy sub attacks my sub. If I shoot back during the opening fire step, can I still submerge in the press attack or retreat step?
    Yes.

Submarines are part of a large naval engagement. Do they get to fire during the opening fire step of every round, or only the first round?
    Every round.

On the UK player’s first turn, he attacks my German sub with a fighter. He rolls and misses. My sub submerges. When does it resurface?
    At the end of the UK player’s non-combat movement."

And that is all I know about the Submarine rules for A&A Revised.

• Yes, these rules seem to be relevant for LHTR 2.
    AFAIK LHTR 2 were the “final” rules for Revised.

• Customizer

Good news for anyone who likes TripleA and Global and Technology….

I’ve finished coding the new Paratroopers code (it is the most difficult of the new techs).  Took about … 16 hours over the past 4 days.

Anyway, how it will work is that any player who has the tech will get an additional “phase” after Combat Movement.  In this phase, you can move your “paratroopers” and only them. 
    The reason I went with a new ‘phase’ for this, was because java dialog windows are ugly and not as flexible as having the entire map in front of you and being able to click on units just like normal.  The only other choice was to do a dialog window similar to scrambling, but I suspect with a ton of territory name choices would have made people confused.

Pretty soon I’ll need some brave souls to test all the new techs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m