What is the Axis and Allies brand worth?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What would Axis and Allies - the brand, be worth?

Say if someone approached WOTC and said, I’ll give you $1 million dollars, so that I can say, Axis and Allies is mine.  Would they go for it?? What would the value be?  And what input/control of ownership does Larry have?

If the price was low enough… I bet us FANS could liberate the game from the clutches of the devil!

• @Gargantua:

If the price was low enough… I bet us FANS could liberate the game from the clutches of the devil!

This is an intersting idea, but power to control things would need to be relegated to a much smaller, more manageble sized group.

Too many cooks could spoil the next version.

• Achse und Alle Globalen 1940.

• @Gargantua:

Say if someone approached WOTC

I think the people to approach would actually be Hasbro, the parent company which owns: a) WOTC; b) the Avalon Hill brand; c) the former Milton Bradley company which published the first big-box edition of A&A; and d) much of the known universe.

• It seems likely that if Hasboro is a publicly traded company the information you seek would be obtainable in the legally required public stock reports. You would then be able to make a determination what the license/brand/division would be worth.

Hmmmmm, first try after the Google search. But that doesn’t really detail the Avalon Hill division. That is the entire company.

Don’t have much more time to poke around but Hasboro acquired Avalon Monarch (Avalon Hill) for 6 million dollars according to http://gis.net/~pldr/fah.html

It is also likely a great deal more complicated than simply buying Axis and Allies.

• If we did liberate it we would:
    1. Axis and Allies 1939
    2. Add Axis minor, canada, dutch
    3. Add more units
    4. Make it Bigger!!!

but for sure we will argue about this :-P

any ways, I dont think AA brand will sell it.

• Sponsor

If I was rich, I would buy it, and the first thing I would do is publish a hard cover encyclopedia book for all things A&A.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

a hard cover encyclopedia book for all things A&A

That would be a cool book… covering the history of the game, and it’s releases.  Including strategies for each game.

The Axis and Allies Compendium!

But I don’t know how many would buy it… lol.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@empireman:

Well of course! That is what we do here.

@empireman:

If we did liberate it we would:
    1. Axis and Allies 1939
    3. Add more units
    4. Make it Bigger!!!

1. Maybe… but probably not. We already have to wait forever to get Global '40 going (with everyone involved) so why would we want to, rather pointlessly, add more turns that people have to wait. All you do by making a 1939 is make the game drag out longer and build up from next to zero units - unncecessary in my opinion. 1940 is ideal.

2. Definitely not! Splitting UK into England, India and ANZAC is by far enough. Yes Canada made significant contributions to the war, but they were basically an arm of the UK, like they are in the game. Making another turn taking, frustratingly low income, seperate movement phase, third tier power, is entirely unneeded for playability purposes. Besides which, it really only helps the Axis by further taking resources and IPCs from England, where they are better and more quickly spent.    Similar for the Dutch… although they become the games only 4th rate power if you make them playable. Even more boring than France.

3. This is your best suggestion, although I think there are a sufficient number as is. Besides supply trucks and transport planes, I am not sure what other units we need though. I mean, if you just want more diverse or more detailed units I would recommend buying some Field Marshal Games pieces, which I intend to do, because they are way cooler than the pieces that the game comes with.

4. This is everyone’s natural tendency: bigger is always better. But that is not true. Now that we are used to Global 1940, it doesn’t seem as gigantic as it was when we first saw it. So we want something even bigger. I don’t think that will ever happen, for a number of reasons, nor do I think it should. It’s like adding Canada as a playable, or adding more unit classes … there is such a thing as too much. Simple is usually better; more fun, smoother, more playable. More territories, more decisions for units and more playable nations only results in a more cumbersome and slow game. (I have always considered blowing my board up on a computer and making an enlarged copy so it can be bigger in that way however.)

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

That would be a cool book… covering the history of the game, and it’s releases.  Including strategies for each game.

It would sell more than some of the D&D books out there, like the complete guide for buying an axe in the underworld city of mathmedadeth.

• @LHoffman:

@empireman:

Well of course! That is what we do here.

@empireman:

If we did liberate it we would:
    1. Axis and Allies 1939
    3. Add more units
    4. Make it Bigger!!!

1. Maybe… but probably not. We already have to wait forever to get Global '40 going (with everyone involved) so why would we want to, rather pointlessly, add more turns that people have to wait. All you do by making a 1939 is make the game drag out longer and build up from next to zero units - unncecessary in my opinion. 1940 is ideal.

2. Definitely not! Splitting UK into England, India and ANZAC is by far enough. Yes Canada made significant contributions to the war, but they were basically an arm of the UK, like they are in the game. Making another turn taking, frustratingly low income, seperate movement phase, third tier power, is entirely unneeded for playability purposes. Besides which, it really only helps the Axis by further taking resources and IPCs from England, where they are better and more quickly spent.    Similar for the Dutch… although they become the games only 4th rate power if you make them playable. Even more boring than France.

3. This is your best suggestion, although I think there are a sufficient number as is. Besides supply trucks and transport planes, I am not sure what other units we need though. I mean, if you just want more diverse or more detailed units I would recommend buying some Field Marshal Games pieces, which I intend to do, because they are way cooler than the pieces that the game comes with.

4. This is everyone’s natural tendency: bigger is always better. But that is not true. Now that we are used to Global 1940, it doesn’t seem as gigantic as it was when we first saw it. So we want something even bigger. I don’t think that will ever happen, for a number of reasons, nor do I think it should. It’s like adding Canada as a playable, or adding more unit classes … there is such a thing as too much. Simple is usually better; more fun, smoother, more playable. More territories, more decisions for units and more playable nations only results in a more cumbersome and slow game. (I have always considered blowing my board up on a computer and making an enlarged copy so it can be bigger in that way however.)

See…… Arguing!

@Young:

@Gargantua:

It would sell more than some of the D&D books out there, like the complete guide for buying an axe in the underworld city of mathmedadeth.

THAT WOULD BE THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!

But, no one has guessed how much its worth!

• Sponsor

That book could include the rules for every edition printed, and a special 25 page atlas for Global 1940.

• @Young:

That book could include the rules for every edition printed, and a special 25 page atlas for Global 1940.

Don’t forget simple side tips for every board game

• @italiansarecoming:

@Young:

yep that would be cool, and History of the pieces (WITH PICS) color sculpts and other stuff.

• Sponsor

@empireman:

@italiansarecoming:

@Young:

yep that would be cool, and History of the pieces (WITH PICS) color sculpts and other stuff.

I’m sure there would be room for a profile of this site and its founder  :wink:

• @Young:

@empireman:

@italiansarecoming:

@Young:

I’m sure there would be room for a profile of this site and its founder  :wink:

Of course!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m