• Looking for a rules clarification. If I understand correctly, in 1942.2, a Battleship can only fire once in a given combat, because it has its own step in the Amphibious Assault Sequence and that step can only occur once. In Revised, however, a Battleship can fire once per cycle in a combat, because that is part of the Opening Fire step which takes place each cycle. Is this correct? Thanks!

• '17

I think you’re combining/confusing “Bombardment” with a Sea Battle.  During an amphibious assault, the battleship would get one shot at the enemy forces on shore, after which, the invading land and air forces are on their own.

As far as a sea battle, the battleship would get to fire in each round of combat, as long as it survives, of course.

Edit:  Additionally, if there is a sea battle that precedes the amphibious assault, the battleship (nor any other battleship or cruiser) does not get a “shore shot”.

• I don’t think that is the source of my confusion…

I get that Battleships can fire in each cycle of a sea combat, in both versions. I also get that in both versions a Battleship that takes part in the sea battle part of an amphibious assault cannot also do Bombardment. I’m asking specifically about Battleship Bombardment, and if there is a difference with it for these two versions of the rules.

By my reading:

For 1942.2, Battleship bombardment is a step of the Amphibious Assault sequence, which would only occur once. (Rules page 15)

For Revised, Battleship bombardment is listed as taking place in the opening fire step of each cycle of a land battle, and would take place multiple times in a land battle that has multiple cycles. (Rules page 15)

• @mvk20:

I don’t think that is the source of my confusion…

I get that Battleships can fire in each cycle of a sea combat, in both versions. I also get that in both versions a Battleship that takes part in the sea battle part of an amphibious assault cannot also do Bombardment. I’m asking specifically about Battleship Bombardment, and if there is a difference with it for these two versions of the rules.

By my reading:

For 1942.2, Battleship bombardment is a step of the Amphibious Assault sequence, which would only occur once. (Rules page 15)

For Revised, Battleship bombardment is listed as taking place in the opening fire step of each cycle of a land battle, and would take place multiple times in a land battle that has multiple cycles. (Rules page 15)

You are right, in 1942.2 Battleships bombard only once. Also note that casualties due to bombardment can fire back.
    In Revised bombardment ist performed during Opening Fire. Also casualties can’t fire back.

• Official Q&A

Battleships do not bombard in every round in Revised.  From the FAQ:

Q.  Battleships that participate in an amphibious assault without engaging in a naval battle get to conduct bombardment in the Opening Fire step.  Does a battleship (and, if researched, destroyer) get to fire in every Opening Fire step of an amphibious assault?
    A.  No.  Battleships are removed from the battle board after their first Opening Fire attack.  The same thing applies to antiaircraft guns.  Subs are the only units capable of firing in the Opening Fire step that are not removed from the battle board after the first round.

• Thanks so much for that link! I had seen the 1942.2 FAQ, but not the Revised one (that’s a long one!). Looks like I read the rules correctly, but the FAQ clarification makes a lot more sense, to me anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m