• Sponsor

Hey everyone, I thought I would share with you a picture of the table I built. It is in a 15’X11’ basement room, the downstairs also has a bathroom, kitchen and bar. the table is made up of (2) 4’X4’ pieces which come together and sit on my 6’X3’ pool table. I screwed in 2’X4’ boards around the edges so players could lean their elbows on it and the remaining dimensions perfectly fit the game board in the middle and a total of 18 unit trays around all 4 edges. At each end of the table there is an upholstered dice tray, an attacker, defender battle board, and victory city tokens propped up on Velcroed scrabble tile holders. Also the far right corner of the table has a built in bank for paper money and there is an income tracker all along the bottom of the game board. The massive amount of units, trays, tokens, and other accessories is supported by 2X AA50thAE, 1X A&A Spring 42, 1X A&A E1940, and 1X A&A P1940 (as you can see by the empty boxes in the back of the room). I hope to purchase a sheet of glass soon in order to cover and protect the game board. It took me a whole weekend to build and half the fun of creating something like this is showing off your work to others.

What do you think? Is there a different thread for this kinda stuff? if so could one of the mods move it for me. Cheers.          
    A&A Table.jpg

• Sponsor

Here is the same table in two pieces, those are cheap laminate bathroom tiles stuck to the surface so the rough wood doesn’t scratch the board, and the folders on the wall are for each power’s reference charts and rule books. Also, you can notice the extra sheet of ply raised in the center holding the game board, this is to give the trays a trench like strip so they can drop in seamlessly. You can see that the over all design is quite simple to make.

A&A Table 2.jpg

• Cool table indeed - I would want one, but am all thumbs (heck - even got somebody else working on dice towers for me, cause I can only hurt myself with tools, not actually build anything).

But you really need to pain that room  :evil: :D

• Really nice work, i’ve always wanted to do that myself!

• Very Fun! Great job! I’m totally going to do this when I have a basement. ;)

• Sponsor

@Xandax:

Cool table indeed

But you really need to pain that room  :evil: :D

Yes. The decorating is next on the list, really need to give it a man cave make over.

• @Young:

Hey everyone, I thought I would share with you a picture of the table I built.

Great design, and very sturdy-looking too.  Nice work indeed.

@Young:

I hope to purchase a sheet of glass soon in order to cover and protect the game board.

Plexiglass might be a better option.  It’s shatter-resistant, probably lighter (depending on the thickness), and it can roll up for storage (or moving) if it’s thin enough.  It’s what I have on my Global table and it’s worked well.

@Young:

Is there a different thread for this kinda stuff?

Most people who’ve posted pictures of their Global tables have done it as individual threads, the same way you did.  There’s a sticky thread called Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures which serves as an index to these separate threads, and which I update whenever a new post of this type gets created.  I’ve just updated it to include a link to your thread.  Thanks for posting your pics!

• Sponsor

I heard that plexiglass is a lot cheaper too, I will check that out. Yes it’s solid…. actually it is much more solid than it looks because it has a bottom sheet of wood that can’t be seen (heavy for one person to take it down). Thanks for creating the link for me.

• @Young:

Thanks for creating the link for me.

My pleasure.  There have been several nice Global tables built by various board members, in some cases with whole “war rooms” to put them in.

@Young:

I heard that plexiglass is a lot cheaper too, I will check that out.

In case this information is useful when you check out the plexiglass:

The sheet of plastic that I bought is a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99, originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness.  The local plastics company from which I bought it cut the sheet to the size I wanted, which is 36" x 96", so they just had to cut a slice from the width because the length was already correct.  (Note that this is bigger than is needed for the A&A Global 1940 map, but my wargaming table is larger than the A&A game requires).  They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter as I recall (the rolling made possible by the fact that the plastic was just 1/16" thick).  The costs (in Canadian dollars) were $60 for the plastic itself, plus $10 for the cutting, plus $30 for delivery, plus another $15 or so for sales tax.

• Sponsor

Ya …… Plexiglass is for sure the way to go, real glass is much more fragile and expensive. I would turn my basement room into a world war 2 theme room, but I’ve been thinking about renting it out when I build my settlers of catan table and war hammer table (blasphemy). While I have you here, can you tell me how you created that link from one forum to another? GO HABS GO!

• @Young:

While I have you here, can you tell me how you created that link from one forum to another? GO HABS GO!

I posted the answer in the Space Issues thread where I first saw your question.

• '10

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

• Sponsor

@FieldMarshalGames:

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

I will sell one of them to the highest bidder, at the 10th annual Field Marshal Wargaming convention in Oshawa Canada.

• @Young:

@FieldMarshalGames:

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

I will sell one of them to the highest bidder, at the 10th annual Field Marshal Wargaming convention in Oshawa Canada.

I think you should keep it, I have one copy and I will never sell it, is way to much important lol, but if you have two…

• Customizer

Love the table… I’ll be stopping in for a game  :mrgreen: -oh, I come with my own minis and dice (and beer).

• Sponsor

@Viracocha:

Love the table… I’ll be stopping in for a game  :mrgreen: -oh, I come with my own minis and dice (and beer).

You would be more than welcome, would you be driving up from London Ontario, or Flying in from London England?

• I put my map on my pool table but that doesn’t compare to that. Wife would give me a lot of sh== if I built something like that. Shouldn’t you be doing something other than that? The kids got practice. OK you get the picture. Nice work grasshopper it is awesome.

• Sponsor

@GoSanchez6:

I put my map on my pool table but that doesn’t compare to that. Wife would give me a lot of sh== if I built something like that. Shouldn’t you be doing something other than that? The kids got practice. OK you get the picture. Nice work grasshopper it is awesome.

My wife and I have 5 pets but no kids, so the responsibilities are controllable. Also, I have the coolest wife ever, she may not play A&A with me, but she doesn’t care if I use the whole basement to play with my buddies. One of the best things about her though, (besides how beautiful she is) she loves watching Hockey with me (thats ice hockey for all the southern men and women). The only problem is, she’s a dam Leafs fan and I bleed for the Habs.

• Customizer

@Young:

@Viracocha:

You would be more than welcome, would you be driving up from London Ontario, or Flying in from London England?

Flying in - forgot about the other London cities when I updated the profile  :|  You have painted minis to go on that fine playing surface?  That’s your next step - or perhaps to wait for FMG’s fine sculpts…  When you were talking about decorating the war room - netting and some flags?  That would be awesome.  Perhaps some battle plan looking maps? Helmets?

• I’d recommend making a few war rakes – those long sticks that are used in old-style war rooms to move pieces on map tables.  They’re basically just long round wooden dowels attached at one end to a small rectangular piece of wood, so they should be easy to make.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m