• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Looking to make new sculpts for US Marines with the dark green color from Pacific 2001 game.
    What pieces would you like to see in the bag of pieces.
    Only vote for the ones you think should be in for Marines and not just because you want them as US units, these will be dark green.

• would love to see Corsairs as fighter pieces

• It got to be a Marine infantry soldier.

• I’m not sure the Marine Corps actually uses the word “soldier” to designate its infantrymen.  I’ve seen a number of military films made during WWII in which the narrator distinguishes between “soldiers and Marines”  – meaning guys from the U.S. Army and guys from the USMC.  I’ve seen a couple of references to the fact that USMC training makes sure that every member of the Corps is a qualified combat rifleman (even if his specialty will end up being something which isn’t directly combat-related), but I don’t know if “rifleman” is a term the Marines use in any official way.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I voted for infantryman and artillery as that fits rules the best. But I would love a set of Corsairs in the original olive color.

• @CWO:

I’m not sure the Marine Corps actually uses the word “soldier” to designate its infantrymen.  I’ve seen a number of military films made during WWII in which the narrator distinguishes between “soldiers and Marines”  – meaning guys from the U.S. Army and guys from the USMC.  I’ve seen a couple of references to the fact that USMC training makes sure that every member of the Corps is a qualified combat rifleman (even if his specialty will end up being something which isn’t directly combat-related), but I don’t know if “rifleman” is a term the Marines use in any official way.

Yeah, it might be a bit of a technicality, but Marc is correct, here.  Most of the Marines I’ve known would actually take offense a bit if you called them a “soldier” (it’s an inter-service rivalry thing.)  “Infantryman” or “rifleman” are the preferred designations, and I do believe that the Marines themselves are partial to “rifleman.”  In fact, Marc, I do believe that “rifleman” is the official USMC term.

This is why I tend to stay away from polling.
    I take a simple question and feel that I am clarifying that it is a Marine infantry piece, and I am hounded for the nomenclature. I feel people tend to stray away from the actual question at hand.

• I see the figure, the LVT, and the corsair as obvious, but I’m torn on the other two, because I’m not aware of anything that was special or unique about either the Marine tanks or the Marine artillery pieces… unless someone out there knows of a special “Marine” version of either and could break the log-jam by pointing one out.

For the figure, I’m wondering how you will distinguish it from a US Army soldier; for much of the war, I know, Marines could be distinguished by their camo uniforms, but this wouldn’t translate into a sculpted figure.  Any other thoughts out there on how to make it distinct?  Perhaps you could give him an M1 Carbine or BAR; though both were used just as much by the Army this could give at least one distinction for the Marines other than color…  I think the Marines did have a few unique (semi-experimental ?) small arms, but they wouldn’t have been used on any large scale…

I can’t think of any reason why the Corsair would be qualitatively different from a Hellcat in game-stat terms, but if you sculpt it with the artistry that FMG has their pieces so far, I’d love to see you do it anyway, just because it would be so cool-looking!

• the tanks used by marines during ww2 were modified shermans.  there were amphibious models, flamethrower models, etc…

• Customizer

@DrLarsen:

For the figure, I’m wondering how you will distinguish it from a US Army soldier; for much of the war, I know, Marines could be distinguished by their camo uniforms, but this wouldn’t translate into a sculpted figure.  Any other thoughts out there on how to make it distinct?  Perhaps you could give him an M1 Carbine or BAR; though both were used just as much by the Army this could give at least one distinction for the Marines other than color…  I think the Marines did have a few unique (semi-experimental ?) small arms, but they wouldn’t have been used on any large scale…

He already said that he plans to sculpt the Marine pieces in the dark green color used in the original Pacific game.  The US Army Infantry will still be in olive drab.  So, both infantry could be the exact same pose and the color will distinguish Marines from Army.

@DrLarsen:

I can’t think of any reason why the Corsair would be qualitatively different from a Hellcat in game-stat terms, but if you sculpt it with the artistry that FMG has their pieces so far, I’d love to see you do it anyway, just because it would be so cool-looking!

I belive the Corsair was almost exclusively used by the Marines and the Hellcat was a Navy plane.  Granted, the game stats would be the same but you would have two different sculpts representing the different service branches.  And you are right, it would look really cool.

• Coach,

Thanks for the effort to develop House Rule sculpts!

Based on playability and function in a House Rules version, I vote Marine Infantry.

@Monroe:

Coach,

Thanks for the effort to develop House Rule sculpts!

Based on playability and function in a House Rules version, I vote Marine Infantry.

Interesting feedback, I might have to package just the Marines in a pack and sell the LVT, corsair, and artillery separately.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Okay, I’ll just have to buy them all then…

• Wait a second… boy, I can be obtuse sometimes… I just realized that you can vote for all five… In that case, by all means, go ahead and do all five; even if the artillery and armor are exactly the same as the army versions, having all five in the official “marine green” would be great from an aesthetic angle, so by all means, go ahead and do all five!  (even better if they have all unique sculpts that make sense, but not necessary…)

• @DrLarsen:

For the figure, I’m wondering how you will distinguish it from a US Army soldier; for much of the war, I know, Marines could be distinguished by their camo uniforms, but this wouldn’t translate into a sculpted figure.  Any other thoughts out there on how to make it distinct?  Perhaps you could give him an M1 Carbine or BAR; though both were used just as much by the Army this could give at least one distinction for the Marines other than color…  I think the Marines did have a few unique (semi-experimental ?) small arms, but they wouldn’t have been used on any large scale…

Flamethrower-equipped marine

• I don’t know, maybe a flamethrower is TOO specialized… Maybe if there’s more than one Marine infantry sculpt…

• '10

EVERY Marine is a rifleman! At least back in the day this was true. Everyone from the Commandant on down had to qualify on the range each year of service. If this has changed in the present day I am not aware of it.

• On second thought, if Coach is going to do an infantryman with a panzerfaust in his axis minors set, maybe a flamethrower (or perhaps a bazooka) would be a good idea… as the second marine sculpt (since I’m assuming now that you’ll do 2 like you’re doing on the Axis minors.)

Hey Coach, btw, I had another idea as I was thinking about this today: if FMG sticks with the more widely used US AFV’s (like, say, Sherman, Stuart, Hellcat…) you should do a Pershing and put it in with the Marine set, not because the Marines used it per se, but because it would be another elite unit for the Americans, so being in a different color would make sense.  (Kind of like, say, having elite Panthers and Tigers in an “SS black,” along with elite “SS infantry” while keeping Panzer III’s & IV’s in the standard feldgrau, which I’ve long thought would be a good idea if practical…)

To take it a step further, you could expand it a little more into a whole “US elite units” set, which might include, say, a paratrooper (if FMG doesn’t do one) a “Long Tom” heavy artillery…etc.  But I do think that a Corsair and an LVT are good choices in the fighter & mech categories, so I say stick with those for sure…

In the same way, if FMG doesn’t do the Comet, you could do it together with a “Royal Marines/ Commonwealth elites” set in a darker shade of khaki, together with some sort of mixture of other elite Commonwealth units.  I don’t know if there are any “special” mech, artillery, or air units for the UK that FMG isn’t already likely to do… but there are so many different types of elite UK infantry types, I don’t think it’s possible for him to get them all in, even if he doesn’t use the same sculpts for the UK and Commonwealth: paratroopers, royal marines, commandos, Chindits, Gurkhas, and that’s without getting into the Austrialian and New Zealand units, which would be a good idea if FMG wimps out and uses UK sculpts for the ANZACS…

• I think a Marine soldier is the best but I wouldn’t mind seeing some LVTs. Make it so they travel with transports or destroyers at 2 a piece and they carry infantry. When you use them infantry attack on a 2 on the first round and marines attack on a 3.

• coach the Corsairs would be scale with fighter pieces right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m