• Sponsor

@special:

Hang on, it IS illegal, right?

at this point yes, but it seems that all the deputies are at the salon.

• @Young:

@special:

Hang on, it IS illegal, right?

at this point yes, but it seems that all the deputies are at the salon.

tssssss opening my solstice cider…  edit:  Wait.  Salon?  not Saloon?  How dare you sir, my bedhead needs no professional attention and my nails are immaculate
    I could be wrong, and Krieg may correct me, but…

It’s my understanding that you don’t declare war on powers that aren’t player powers.  We’ve never required a declaration of war as japan to attack the Dutch colonies - attacking dutch colonies simply allows the UK and US to declare war on Japan.

Similarly, one does not “declare war” on a neutral.  You either have to ATTACK the neutral, or you ignore it.  And if you don’t ATTACK a neutral, it doesn’t activate.  And if it doesn’t activate, it’s not an enemy power and it is still a neutral.  And since even a friendly or unfriendly neutral is still neutral and cannot be over flown… etc etc etc.  Hope you see where this is going.

Germany would need to actually ATTACK spain with a unit, not just declare hostile intentions and overfly.  And during the combat move, any plane moving into spain would stop and attack as neutrals can’t be overflown, only attacked. However, if Germany attacked Spain during the combat phase, even if it was with a single infantry, a plane could overfly during the noncombat phase.

• /

|
      |
      |

What he said.

• OK, now that my hair is done…

Bottom line, as kcd said:
    You can’t fly over neutrals of any type - pro-you, pro-them, or strict neutral.  You can only fly over them after they are no longer neutral, which may be as early as your non-combat movement phase.

Jenn, you might consider reading the rulebook from beginning to end.  Really.  You’ll find it very interesting - it’s not boring to read when you play it as much as you do.  For instance, you would have benefitted (as would your opponents) from reading the following, instead of just guessing:

Page #10, under “friendly neutrals”: “Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them.  They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war…”
    Page #11, under “unfriendly neutrals”: “Air units can’t fly over an unfriendly neutral unless they are attacking it”
    Page #11, under “strict neutrals”: “Strict neutrals are treated in exactly the same was as unfriendly neutrals, with one exception… (all of them turn against you when you attack)”

You can’t fly over any neutrals under any circumstances (as long as they are “neutral”) - not even friendly ones.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

OK, now that my hair is done…

Bottom line, as kcd said:
    You can’t fly over neutrals of any type - pro-you, pro-them, or strict neutral.  You can only fly over them after they are no longer neutral, which may be as early as your non-combat movement phase.

Jenn, you might consider reading the rulebook from beginning to end.  Really.  You’ll find it very interesting - it’s not boring to read when you play it as much as you do.  For instance, you would have benefitted (as would your opponents) from reading the following, instead of just guessing:

Page #10, under “friendly neutrals”: “Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them.  They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war…”
    Page #11, under “unfriendly neutrals”: “Air units can’t fly over an unfriendly neutral unless they are attacking it”
    Page #11, under “strict neutrals”: “Strict neutrals are treated in exactly the same was as unfriendly neutrals, with one exception… (all of them turn against you when you attack)”

You can’t fly over any neutrals under any circumstances (as long as they are “neutral”) - not even friendly ones.

Oh snap!

• Sponsor

@Young:

Questions about the Mongolian rule,

1. If japanese units attack a Russian territory adjacent to Mongolia (Amur), and a Mongolian territory (Buyant- Uhaa) in the same combat movement phase, is the strict neutral rule activated, or the Mongolian rule?

2. If Russian units attack Japanese units in the Chinese territory of Kansu is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

3. If Russian units attack Japanese units in Kazakhstan, is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

Any quotes from the rule book regarding this question I asked earlier?

• @Young:

@Young:

Questions about the Mongolian rule,

1. If japanese units attack a Russian territory adjacent to Mongolia (Amur), and a Mongolian territory (Buyant- Uhaa) in the same combat movement phase, is the strict neutral rule activated, or the Mongolian rule?

2. If Russian units attack Japanese units in the Chinese territory of Kansu is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

3. If Russian units attack Japanese units in Kazakhstan, is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

Any quotes from the rule book regarding this question I asked earlier?

There wouldn’t be pages in the rule book.
    1.  Strict neutral rule is activated - Japan should never attack both mongolia and soviet territories that border mongolia in the same turn, as the strict neutral rule supercedes.
    2.  The rule is neutralized, as it is a japanese controlled territory that borders a Mongolian territory.
    3.  The rule is still active, as Kazakhstan does not border Mongolia.

• Sponsor

That was extremely helpful. Thanks.

• Official Q&A

A couple of clarifications:

@kcdzim:

It’s my understanding that you don’t declare war on powers that aren’t player powers.  We’ve never required a declaration of war as japan to attack the Dutch colonies - attacking dutch colonies simply allows the UK and US to declare war on Japan.

It’s true that you don’t declare war on neutral territories - you simply attack them.  You only declare war on powers.

However, the Dutch territories are not neutral.  They are a special case, and are under the protection of UK/ANZAC.  One must declare war on UK/ANZAC before attacking Dutch territories.

@kcdzim:

1.  Strict neutral rule is activated - Japan should never attack both mongolia and soviet territories that border mongolia in the same turn, as the strict neutral rule supercedes.

If Japan attacks both a Mongolian territory and a Soviet territory bordering Mongolia in the same turn, the Mongolian territories are still strict neutral at the time of the attack (they don’t join the USSR until the end of the Combat Move phase).  As a result, all strict neutrals (including Mongolian territories that were not attacked) immediately become pro-Allies.  However, per the Soviet/Japanese Non Aggression Pact rule, at the end of the Japanese Combat Move phase the Mongolian territories that are still neutral (were not captured by Japan) become Soviet-controlled.

The end result of all this is that:

• The Mongolian territories that were attacked by Japan and captured are Japanese-controlled.

• The Mongolian territories that were attacked by Japan and not captured are Soviet-controlled.

• The Mongolian territories that were not attacked by Japan are Soviet-controlled.

• Krieghund,

I know you and Larry are working on the rules for the 2nd print run of the game.  I ask that you specifically put in the rules the example you just outlined:  What happens when Japan attacks a neutral Mongolian territory and Soviet territory bordering Mongolia in the same turn.  I had that same question and everyone I have talked to who hadn’t read your post first had it too.  Just a suggestion since Mongolia has some special rules attached to it and we were not at all certain when the Mongolian specific rules trumped the neutrals in general and vice-versa.

Thank you.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

For the record, I burned one of my copies of the rulebook last night in the fireplace. (Needed to make sure it was working for Christmas.)  Now, maybe, Gamerman will stop telling me to go read it! :P  (Yes I did it out of spite, no this does not mean I dont have rules, I have like 5 copies of the game, 2 opened so I have a rule book, I can just honestly say it’s in a different building than I am now - cause it’s at work.)

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

For the record, I burned one of my copies of the rulebook last night in the fireplace. (Needed to make sure it was working for Christmas.)  Now, maybe, Gamerman will stop telling me to go read it! :P  (Yes I did it out of spite, no this does not mean I dont have rules, I have like 5 copies of the game, 2 opened so I have a rule book, I can just honestly say it’s in a different building than I am now - cause it’s at work.)

If that were a 100 page hardcover A&A players handbook from WOTC, complete with world atlas, 4 page profiles for each unit, many colored battle diagrams, and a 1 hour DVD instrutional video, it would have burned all month (just sayin).

@Young:

@Cmdr:

For the record, I burned one of my copies of the rulebook last night in the fireplace. (Needed to make sure it was working for Christmas.)  Now, maybe, Gamerman will stop telling me to go read it! :P  (Yes I did it out of spite, no this does not mean I dont have rules, I have like 5 copies of the game, 2 opened so I have a rule book, I can just honestly say it’s in a different building than I am now - cause it’s at work.)

If that were a 100 page hardcover A&A players handbook from WOTC, complete with world atlas, 4 page profiles for each unit, many colored battle diagrams, and a 1 hour DVD instrutional video, it would have burned all month (just sayin).

You’re not imaginative enough.  My husband works in supply for the Navy and can get some really fun stuff - he’d get thrown in Jail if he did, but how does this effect me?

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

@Cmdr:

You’re not imaginative enough.  My husband works in supply for the Navy and can get some really fun stuff - he’d get thrown in Jail if he did, but how does this effect me?

If I get moved off the naughty list, can I ask him for a Nucular Submarine for Christmas?

@Young:

@Cmdr:

@Young:

@Cmdr:

If I get moved off the naughty list, can I ask him for a Nucular Submarine for Christmas?

Pretty sure you can get one from the Soviet military for like, a few hundred thousand rubles.

• Official Q&A

@gsh34:

Krieghund,

I know you and Larry are working on the rules for the 2nd print run of the game.  I ask that you specifically put in the rules the example you just outlined:  What happens when Japan attacks a neutral Mongolian territory and Soviet territory bordering Mongolia in the same turn.  I had that same question and everyone I have talked to who hadn’t read your post first had it too.  Just a suggestion since Mongolia has some special rules attached to it and we were not at all certain when the Mongolian specific rules trumped the neutrals in general and vice-versa.

Thank you.

We’re making some adjustments as we write the final version of the rules.  It should be clear.

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

@gsh34:

Krieghund,

Thank you.

We’re making some adjustments as we write the final version of the rules.  It should be clear.

Is there a ball park figure, or even a football field figure on when that might get published, or released on Larry’s site?

@Young:

@Krieghund:

@gsh34:

Krieghund,

Thank you.

Is there a ball park figure, or even a football field figure on when that might get published, or released on Larry’s site?

Could you release it like a month before sending it to printing so if there’s a bone headed rule (ie AAR:  Germany gets LRA on Round 1, England is gone and allies lose almost automatically causing the creation of LHTR’s rule that makes Technology take effect at the end of your turn) could hopefully be found before it’s mailed to players all over the world? smile  Not saying there will at this date, but there’s always a potential of catastrophy even if you play test the game (Ahem, AAR for example.)

• Sponsor

That seemed a little harsh.

• Sponsor

If the Pacific allies attack Japan during turn 1, will Japan still receive their $10 trade NO with the States?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m