Global Board compared to Anniversary Board

• As I recall, the 1986 Milton Bradley A&A game came in a larger box and had a larger board than the size used in later A&A releases.

It’ll be interesting to compare the Global, the Anniversary and the Spring 1942 boards, which use the same general map / art style in three different sizes (large, medium and small) and at three different levels of detail.  Since Anniversary came out first, I guess Spring 1942 can be considered a simplified and reduced-scale version of the Anniversary map, and Global an expanded version of the Anniversary map.

• @CWO:

As I recall, the 1986 Milton Bradley A&A game came in a larger box and had a larger board than the size used in later A&A releases.

It’ll be interesting to compare the Global, the Anniversary and the Spring 1942 boards, which use the same general map / art style in three different sizes (large, medium and small) and at three different levels of detail.  Since Anniversary came out first, I guess Spring 1942 can be considered a simplified and reduced-scale version of the Anniversary map, and Global an expanded version of the Anniversary map.

Actually, 1942 is more of a revised Revised. The map and setup are almost the same

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@CWO:

As I recall, the 1986 Milton Bradley A&A game came in a larger box and had a larger board than the size used in later A&A releases.

Actually, 1942 is more of a revised Revised. The map and setup are almost the same

Calvin, I think Marc is referring to the 1986 original 1942 map version.  I have a couple of those inherited from my father.  Been a while since I’ve looked at those but I do think it was bigger than the Revised and the new 1942 version.  I wonder if it was the same size as the Anniversary.

• @Seven_Patch:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@CWO:

Calvin, I think Marc is referring to the 1986 original 1942 map version.  I have a couple of those inherited from my father.  Been a while since I’ve looked at those but I do think it was bigger than the Revised and the new 1942 version.  I wonder if it was the same size as the Anniversary.

No, he said Spring 1942, which is AA42

• To clarify:

I mentioned the Milton Bradley edition in response to the post which said “compare AA50 to the first Axis & Allies from the 80’s….same kind of jump from AA50 to AAGlobal…”  My point about this was that the board size jump from AA50 to Global should be equated to the board size jump from earlier games (like Revised) to AA50, but probably not to the board size jump from the Milton Bradley edition because the MB edition used a larger board than Revised.

I also mentioned Global, AA50 and AA1942, but my point about those three games was that they are basically three different-sized boards which use a very similar “Google Earth” art style to depict the world.

• Ah okay, my mistake.  What is the size of the MB version?  I have the New AA1942 version (playing it now till Europe arrives) and it’s zones are identical to Revised but unlike revised it has that realistic terrain look.

I don’t have the Anniversary version unfortunately; I hope they reprint in a few years.

• @Seven_Patch:

Ah okay, my mistake.  What is the size of the MB version?

I’ll measure my MB board this evening (if someone else can’t provide the answer before then), but I remember that the box is definitely on the large size compared to most A&A game boxes.  The MB box is closer in size (though not identical) to the Anniversary box than to anything else.  One complicating factor, however, is that the Global map consists of 4 three-panel folding boards, whereas the Anniversary map consists of three solid (non-folding) boards – so the smaller size of the Global boxes doesn’t reflect the fact that their maps add up to something larger than Anniversary.  I think the MB map also consisted of multiple solid boards, but I’m not certain.

• '12

@CWO:

@Seven_Patch:

Ah okay, my mistake.  What is the size of the MB version?

I’ll measure my MB board this evening (if someone else can’t provide the answer before then), but I remember that the box is definitely on the large size compared to most A&A game boxes.  The MB box is closer in size (though not identical) to the Anniversary box than to anything else.  One complicating factor, however, is that the Global map consists of 4 three-panel folding boards, whereas the Anniversary map consists of three solid (non-folding) boards – so the smaller size of the Global boxes doesn’t reflect the fact that their maps add up to something larger than Anniversary.  I think the MB map also consisted of multiple solid boards, but I’m not certain.

It’s a folding 3 panel board in the MB version.

• Just print your own map for anniversary, glue the pages to thin particle board and bolt some plexiglass to the top. Avalon Hill was too dead set on making it collectable to print off a copy i could buy.

Anniversary is a great game. Worth the trouble. Global kicks butt in its own right but Anniversary is quicker.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

Just print your own map for anniversary, glue the pages to thin particle board and bolt some plexiglass to the top. Avalon Hill was too dead set on making it collectable to print off a copy i could buy.

Anniversary is a great game. Worth the trouble. Global kicks butt in its own right but Anniversary is quicker.

Good idea.  Now that I’ll have Europe with Italian peices I could print Anniversary and play it that way.  Probably won’t do that until I get board of Global though, if that is possible.

• I like AA50 when I am trying to get some old players back into the game who know the basic rules.  
    After one or two quick games of AA50, they will be ready to move on to Global.

• @CWO:

I’ll measure my MB board this evening

Here are the results.  The MB board is a single folding board made of three panels.  It measure 33 " x 19 1/2 ".

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m