Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Forum

• '16 '15 '10

I was impressed when Game of Thrones came out on TV, and had to know the story, so the past 2 months I’ve read through Books I-IV of Song of Fire and Ice, and I’ll devour the 5th when it comes out.

Song Of Fire and Ice has been a pleasant surprise.  Excellent quality for a fantasy tale. Great characters, nice turns of phrase, good stuff.  Lotta depth to the alternate world and plenty of myths and prophecies to be fleshed out.

• Customizer

@Zhukov44:

I was impressed when Game of Thrones came out on TV, and had to know the story, so the past 2 months I’ve read through Books I-IV of Song of Fire and Ice, and I’ll devour the 5th when it comes out.

Song Of Fire and Ice has been a pleasant surprise.  Excellent quality for a fantasy tale. Great characters, nice turns of phrase, good stuff.  Lotta depth to the alternate world and plenty of myths and prophecies to be fleshed out.

The 5th is out in hardcover & I believe digital formats (A Dance with Dragons).  Good stuff. Anyone ever check out http://www.steampunktales.com/  I was pleased with issues 6,7, & 8….  :wink:

• '19 Moderator

I’ve read WOT series, I devoured it.  Some of the books I read in a single day.

Asmov is one of my favorites the foundation series is a good read, I read the trilogy in 4 days…

I read lord of the rings nearly thrity years ago and have read it twice since.

• Nerds!

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Dune, just the first book (got strange fast… Paul’s genetics transformed into a God/Emperor/Giant Sandworm? What? Although I did like the all-female/lesbian bodyguards… so many years ago…)

A Song of Ice and Fire series

Chronicles of Amber series

By Crom, what was I thinking? Every Conan book ever written, with Robert E. Howard’s originals being the best by far, of course.

• @Stalingradski:

Dune, just the first book (got strange fast… Paul’s genetics transformed into a God/Emperor/Giant Sandworm? What? Although I did like the all-female/lesbian bodyguards… so many years ago…)

It was Paul’s son Leto II that transformed into the worm by sandtrout adhering to his skin. It was the Golden Path that Paul did not want to do. I have read all but three of the books that his son wrote. I do prefer Frank’s books to his son’s Dune books but they are all pretty good. Give Franks’s books another try. God Emperor of Dune is probable the best in the whole series with Heretics and Chapterhouse following closely behind.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Anybody ever read the SW Republic Commando novels?  … I just finished them and thought the story was pretty darn good. I was pretty unhappy with the resolution, obviously, or rather the lack of a resolution.

• @dezrtfish:

Asmov is one of my favorites the foundation series is a good read, I read the trilogy in 4 days…

Second that. Those first collections are wonderful.

• skinny1… I relied on a faulty memory! I read those books when I was 15 or 16, and I’m 40 now… you’re up to date with them!

I guess… in my (spmewhat faulty) defense, it was Paul’s genetics transformed into a worm…  :-)

• '19 Moderator

@Stalingradski:

By Crom, what was I thinking? Every Conan book ever written, with Robert E. Howard’s originals being the best by far, of course.

I used to play the Original A&A with a guy named Conan, I thought that his parents must have been awesome…  His screen name was/is IntocableX (Spanish for untouchable with an X for menace LOL)

• @Stalingradski:

skinny1… I relied on a faulty memory! I read those books when I was 15 or 16, and I’m 40 now… you’re up to date with them!

I guess… in my (spmewhat faulty) defense, it was Paul’s genetics transformed into a worm…   :-)

I have read them within the past year. In a faulty defensive way, you are right. :)

• Reading Planet of the Apes. So far a lot better than the Tim Burton movie. Tim Burton movie changed a lot of things just within the first few chapters of the book.

• Burton set the bar pretty low for Planet of the Apes movies.

• @frimmel:

Burton set the bar pretty low for Planet of the Apes movies.

One thing that Burton’s movie did was show that there is still an interest in the movies.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the new one coming out next month, looks really good. Since I saw the movie poster i watched the Burton version and then ordered the original movies in the Legacy box set as well as the tv series and cartoon series. I should be up to speed by the time i go to the new one.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@skinny1:

@frimmel:

One thing that Burton’s movie did was show that there is still an interest in the movies.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the new one coming out next month, looks really good. Since I saw the movie poster i watched the Burton version and then ordered the original movies in the Legacy box set as well as the tv series and cartoon series. I should be up to speed by the time i go to the new one.

It’s got to be good… at least I sure hope so… Andy Serkis is playing Caesar. Although, James Franco needs to fits his role too.

• @LHoffman:

@skinny1:

@frimmel:

It’s got to be good… at least I sure hope so… Andy Serkis is playing Caesar. Although, James Franco needs to fits his role too.

Even if he doesn’t, John Lithgow is in it and he never disappoints. Andy Serkis is a plus. I think it will be all good.

• @frimmel:

Very true, but I’m wanting to watch this new Ape movie.

• @ABWorsham:

@frimmel:

Yes the premise has my attention. It looks like they might have something to say as well as a bunch of cool cgi.

• @frimmel:

@ABWorsham:

@frimmel:

Yes the premise has my attention. It looks like they might have something to say as well as a bunch of cool cgi.

I read somewhere that with the new movie they are supposed to be setting up a lot of sequels. Hopefully it does well at the box office and the sequels get made.

• it’s old, i’m young
    but i like it a lot :P

War of the worlds, HG Wells ^^

• Ïðèâåò ïàðíè.   
    Î÷åíü õî÷åòñÿ ïîäèñêóòèðîâàòü íà òåìó ñîôòà.   
    Êòî êàêèå çíàåò ñàéòû ñ áåñïëàòíûì ñîôòîì: ïðîãðàììàìè, âàðåçíèêîì?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m