• Sponsor

So I’ve been wanting to share my thoughts about one of my favorite movies for a long time now, and as some of you know… I am a huge movie buff and have many favorites. However. Pulp Fiction is special in the fact that I see a layer to it that I’m not sure if others have noticed, let me explain…

At the start of the movie Jules and Vincent are in a car on their way to get the brief case back from some young thieves. While climbing the stairs to the apartment, Jules and Vincent engage in a conversation about Marsellus Wallace and why he threw Tony Rocky Horror off a 3 story building, and when they arrive at the apartment door Jules says “what time we got?” Vincent replies “7:22”…then Jules says “not quite time yet”. They then walk about 20’ down the hall and continue their conversation for about 4 minutes, at which time Jules says “OK, lets get our game face on”

Now we all know that the contents of the brief case are never revealed to the audience, but what’s even more subtly important is that we never find out why Jules and Vincent had to wait a few minutes down the hall before confronting the teenagers who are eating burgers for breakfast. Why does it matter? Well if you think about many of the events that happen throughout the movie… those few minutes mean everything, for example…

1. If they had knocked on the door when they arrived, the teenager in the washroom with the gun would probably not be in the washroom, and when he comes out blazing missing Jules with every shot… it puts Jules on the path of riotousness.

2. In a second washroom incident, Vincent went to the washroom minutes before Ringo and Ulanda started robbing the restaurant allowing Jules to talk them out of taking the brief case before Vincent could shoot them.

3. In a third washroom incident, Vincent went to the washroom at Butch’s apartment minutes before Butch came back for his watch, a time frame that ultimately cost Vincent his life.

4. And in a forth washroom incident, Mia Wallace came back from the washroom to find her food waiting for her, which she commented on how she loves it when that happens.

5. However, the most telling incident in the movie where a few minutes meant everything was when Butch pulled up to a stop light as Marsellus Wallace was crossing the street. That chance encounter lead to some crazy stuff as we remember.

6. And lets not forget Mr. Wolf helping them clean up their mess before Bonnie came home… which could have been “any minute”.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

….and ?

c’mon we need to know

• Thank you for that, YG. Enjoyed the insights. Shows timing is everything.
    Of course, I will never be able to use the toilet again!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Hmmm…interesting.

I thought you were going to say that the briefcase contained Wallace’s soul. I’ve heard a few conspiracies on that theory, hence the reason for the big Band-Aid on the back of his neck.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I have tried unsuccessfully to watch pulp fiction on atleast 5 occasions.  Everytime I fall asleep.

No other movie has had that effect on me. meh.

• Sponsor

@hkytown1:

Hmmm…interesting.

I thought you were going to say that the briefcase contained Wallace’s soul. I’ve heard a few conspiracies on that theory, hence the reason for the big Band-Aid on the back of his neck.

I’ve never heard that, but that sounds like a good theory.

The truth is nobody knows why Marsellus Wallace threw Tony Rocky Horror off that building except Marsellus and Tony, and nobody knows what’s going on inside Quentin Tarantino’s head except for the leprechauns and aliens that are renting it.

Gargantua… are you saying that you always fall asleep before you meet the gimp?

• Honey bun, it’s not a motorcycle.
    It’s a chopper.

Epic

Maybe the french don’t know…because of the metric system.
    :-D

• Customizer

The suitcase thing comes from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOt-5Ak8tpA

• Sponsor

Thanks for that Flashman, I will give it a full view when I have the time… so Tarantino took inspiration from this film in regards to the pulp fiction suit case?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

My favorite line of the movie is when the bartender, Paul asks Jules and Vincent “What’s up with them clothes?”

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What is the gimp?

• Customizer

Imperious Leader’s “other job”.

Item in case appears at 1.22

and at the end - va-va-voom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IksupwUvhq4&index=18&list=PLvl72JMhm_ld4URpDHGbXrxfqOAMkspqb

Said item also appears in Repoman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjZbJuhPAo

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

What is the gimp?

One of the most messed up scenes in film… gotta watch it to believe it.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

YG,

I too have heard that the briefcase contains Marcellus’ soul.  One piece of evidence towards that theory is that you never see Marcellus’ face until AFTER he gets the case back, i.e. before that he is souless and hence has no face.

• Sponsor

@Whackamatt:

YG,

I too have heard that the briefcase contains Marcellus’ soul.  One piece of evidence towards that theory is that you never see Marcellus’ face until AFTER he gets the case back, i.e. before that he is souless and hence has no face.

That’s interesting, there should be a separate movie explaining all this stuff. Do you have an explaination as to why they waited a few minutes before entering the apartment?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m