League General Discussion Thread

• Interesting ideas for artillery in China or fighter on Malta. Forgot about China.

Like Simon said, I’m thinking resist the round 1 Axis attacks or strenghten an Allied attack on UK1. Subs to the UK does both.

• '19 '17 '16

This discussion made me go back to see what I did with a +80 bid in a low luck G40 game with oysteilo a few years back. In fact I omitted subs in 111 & 106 for only one in 110. Guess one in 106 would have been worthwhile because it would have allowed the counter attack UK1 (had other things to do and no Atlantic objective in G40). If I had placed one in 111 though it would have been wasted because the Scottish fighter was enough to deter the attack there, although there may still be a case because a different player might make a different decision. Possibly.

• '19 '17 '16

I don’t like the disincentive to retake Paris in G40 and derivatives. I’m with Gargantua on this one that is a really broken part of the game.

Surely the obvious change to fix this issue is to set Southern France and Normandy to be original owner Neutral Axis/Neutral Allies. Don’t really understand why no one is interested in this. It is annoying that Paris would be left empty to provide the incentive to retake it and stop USA from producing units there. Obviously, that change still doesn’t prevent the move of leaving Normandy and/or Southern France French owned - they could revert to neutral and allow someone to take them but I doubt anyone would like that. What about a negative objective for Germany if you do this after the second round? Any other ideas?

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

I don’t like the disincentive to retake Paris in G40 and derivatives. I’m with Gargantua on this one that is a really broken part of the game.

Surely the obvious change to fix this issue is to set Southern France and Normandy to be original owner Neutral Axis/Neutral Allies. Don’t really understand why no one is interested in this. It is annoying that Paris would be left empty to provide the incentive to retake it and stop USA from producing units there. Obviously, that change still doesn’t prevent the move of leaving Normandy and/or Southern France French owned - they could revert to neutral and allow someone to take them but I doubt anyone would like that. What about a negative objective for Germany if you do this after the second round? Any other ideas?

I actually contemplated to do that in our game. Leave France empty. Ultimately decided on a much much more risky path, which ended up working out. Granted I did assume that italy vs southern france would be the average result and it ended up slightly above average. Still ended up fine.

• @soulblighter The upside to having stuff in France is that you can counter-attack in Normandy and/SF. Also, I would grab France any chance I get with the US where I am able to hold it. It gives you 5 IPC objective and most certainly another 5 IPC for having a unit in Normandy/SF. If you are in a position to re-take France you have most likely won as the Allies.

• @pejon_88 Yeah. It is why I decided to retake Southern France in my game against Simon. Sure it cost me most of the italian airforce, but it also cost him 6 brittish fighters. Was worth doing it.

• '19 '17 '16

That you would even contemplate not taking Normandy shows you that the map is broken in that respect IMO.

Yes, obviously you would attack Paris if you can hold it.

• @trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

Well, I have to admit that I’m leaning towards being a careful general, playing rather conservatively and usually not pursuing daring attacks or defenses unless the times are truly desperate.

A great strategy when you outmatch your opponent, which I’m sure you usually do.

• Of course, being wild here or there keeps them from getting comfortable.

• That’s actually a very good point. I’ve made daring attacks at times, just to stir things up a bit and not being read too easily.

• 2023 '22

In my opinion, the goal is to play so that you don’t have to really consider the dice. This gets tricky when you match with someone at your level though! That’s my biggest take-away from playing against superior players.

• Well, dice always has to be considered, even when you safeguard. Well, I guess I’m marking words here, but believe I understand your sentiment of not doing risky attacks or exposing risky defenses. It’s definitely possible.

• You definitely have to adjust if you mostly play weaker players and then you get your equal. If you don’t take chances against your equal, you will almost always lose.

• And if you don’t play very defensively, you can beat the weaker players faster.

• :p Maybe these are just principles that apply to most games, sports, and war?! Contests of any kind?

• Know your enemy.

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

You definitely have to adjust if you mostly play weaker players and then you get your equal. If you don’t take chances against your equal, you will almost always lose.

If you manage to get the strategic upper hand early on, I reckon you don’t actually have to take chances against equal opposition. An better opponent will try to wrest this advantage from you, probably by taking some chances here and there.

Usually a stronger player manages to exploit mistakes better (doesn’t even have to be blunders) and even perhaps unlock some dirty tricks like opening territories through a neutral crush or some surprising can-opening or such.

• :japanese_ogre: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

• Most likely against your equal, the upper hand is from dice. And if you are the one that’s behind against your equal, then you are the one who needs to make something happen. Same thing you said, just other side of same coin :smile_cat:

• A&A is just such a freaking awesome game for these reasons. Plus it has army men, tanks, ships and planes. What’s not to like. You just can’t stun an adversary the same way as in A&A. The right combination of cunning, oversight, and pure luck can just… destroy.

Or as Karl7 always used to say - KILL KILL KILL!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m