Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• @AndrewAAGamer, the turn is now yours.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Japan 2. Is my capital safe? Yes, as long as I defend against an infantry and artillery attack. Need to watch out for that US Fleet off Hawaii. So, what to do?

The Europe side of the board is looking good as Italy is collecting good money. The US is so far not only building everything in the Pacific; they sent their entire air and naval forces into the Pacific. So, with a 100% focus of the USA in the pacific Japan needs to be thinking about a navy to counter and hold to give the Germans and Italians time to do their dirty work. That means Yunnan is a non-starter for if Japan loses 8 planes taking out that stack it won’t matter if Japan takes China and India as the US Navy is going to run over the IJN.

Okay that means Japan can’t win the game, so instead we need to force the US to keep focusing on us, therefore the Ocean is more important than the Mainland.

Trade 2 Japanese infantry for 4 Allied infantry in Shan State, take Malaya, Java and Sumatra. The lone transport in Sumatra is safe unless the Allies want to lose a carrier ad I am good with that trade. Grab more Chinese territory and build more ships! Make sure all his attacks against my naval units are low odds battles.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

TripleA Turn Summary: Japanese round 2

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - Japanese
            Japanese buy 2 carriers and 1 factory_minor; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 6 SuicideAttackTokens; 

Combat Move - Japanese
            2 infantry moved from French Indo China to Shan State
            1 armour moved from Philippines to 35 Sea Zone
            1 armour and 1 transport moved from 35 Sea Zone to 34 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Paulau Island to 34 Sea Zone
            1 armour, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 34 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            1 armour and 1 infantry moved from 42 Sea Zone to Java
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Philippines to 35 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 35 Sea Zone to 41 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from 41 Sea Zone to Sumatra
            1 battleship moved from 35 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Borneo to 43 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 43 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from 37 Sea Zone to Malaya
            1 fighter moved from 35 Sea Zone to 45 Sea Zone
            3 fighters and 3 tactical_bombers moved from Kwangsi to Shan State
            1 carrier moved from 36 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Kwangsi to Shan State
            1 fighter moved from 43 Sea Zone to Shan State
            1 artillery, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Chahar to Suiyuyan
                  Japanese take Suiyuyan from Chinese
            1 infantry moved from Anhwe to Kweichow
                  Japanese take Kweichow from Chinese
            2 artilleries and 5 infantry moved from Anhwe to Hopei
                  Japanese take Hopei from Chinese
            1 fighter moved from 43 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Kwangsi to 37 Sea Zone
            1 destroyer moved from 36 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            2 bombers moved from Kwangsi to Shan State
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Kwangsi to Shan State
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Kwangsi to 37 Sea Zone

Combat - Japanese
            Battle in Java
            Battle in Sumatra
            Battle in 45 Sea Zone
                Japanese attack with 1 fighter
                ANZAC defend with 1 transport
                    1 transport owned by the ANZAC lost in 45 Sea Zone
                Japanese win, taking Java from Dutch, taking Sumatra from Dutch with 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 7
                Casualties for ANZAC: 1 transport
            Battle in 37 Sea Zone
                Japanese attack with 1 battleship, 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 1 fighter, 2 tactical_bombers and 1 transport
                British defend with 1 destroyer
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 battleship, 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 1 fighter, 2 tactical_bombers and 1 transport in 37 Sea Zone, round 2 : 5/5 hits, 2.67 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer in 37 Sea Zone, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the Japanese
                    1 destroyer owned by the British lost in 37 Sea Zone
                Japanese win, taking 37 Sea Zone from Neutral with 1 battleship, 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 1 fighter, 2 tactical_bombers and 1 transport remaining. Battle score for attacker is 8
                Casualties for British: 1 destroyer
            Battle in Malaya
            Battle in Shan State
                Japanese attack with 2 bombers, 4 fighters, 2 infantry and 5 tactical_bombers
                British defend with 3 infantry; ANZAC defend with 1 infantry
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 bombers, 4 fighters, 2 infantry and 5 tactical_bombers in Shan State, round 2 : 7/13 hits, 6.83 expected hits
                    UK_Pacific roll dice for 4 infantry in Shan State, round 2 : 1/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese, 1 infantry owned by the ANZAC and 3 infantry owned by the British lost in Shan State
                Japanese win, taking Malaya from UK_Pacific, taking Shan State from UK_Pacific with 2 bombers, 4 fighters, 1 infantry and 5 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 9
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry
                Casualties for British: 3 infantry
                Casualties for ANZAC: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Japanese
            1 fighter moved from 45 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from 37 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            2 tactical_bombers moved from 37 Sea Zone to French Indo China
            1 carrier moved from 43 Sea Zone to 36 Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from 36 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            1 cruiser and 1 destroyer moved from 43 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Shan State to 37 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from 36 Sea Zone to 6 Sea Zone
            1 tactical_bomber moved from 35 Sea Zone to 6 Sea Zone
            1 battleship, 1 carrier and 1 destroyer moved from 35 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Shan State to 36 Sea Zone
            5 tactical_bombers moved from Shan State to French Indo China
            2 bombers moved from Shan State to French Indo China
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Japan to 6 Sea Zone
            2 artilleries, 2 infantry and 2 transports moved from 6 Sea Zone to 36 Sea Zone
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from 36 Sea Zone to French Indo China
            1 infantry moved from Japan to 6 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 6 Sea Zone to 17 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Iwo Jima to 17 Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 17 Sea Zone to 6 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from 6 Sea Zone to Korea
            4 infantry moved from Manchuria to Jehol
            1 infantry moved from Manchuria to Jehol
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Kwangtung to Kiangsi

Place Units - Japanese
            2 carriers placed in 6 Sea Zone
            1 factory_minor placed in French Indo China

Turn Complete - Japanese
            Japanese collect 54 PUs; end with 55 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

British : 0.67
    UK_Pacific : -0.33
    Japanese : 2.50

Savegame

• Thank you, @AndrewAAGamer!

Then it’s on to the big allied triple-turn! Join for the ride!

• Considering a purchase of 4 tr, 1 des, 1 ac, 2 fig.

The trannies are for the Atlantic, the rest for the Pac.

There is need of air-support for contesting Gibraltar. Thinking of swinging over a carrier with 2 air on it, maybe also a des and cr. Even a second ac could be wise, but still badly want to pressure Japan.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Americans round 2

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - Americans
            Americans buy 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters and 4 transports; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Americans
            1 bomber moved from United Kingdom to 92 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from Queensland to 54 Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 54 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from 33 Sea Zone to Caroline Islands
            1 battleship and 1 cruiser moved from 26 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 cruiser moved from 54 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 artillery moved from Hawaiian Islands to 26 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 26 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from 33 Sea Zone to Caroline Islands

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• This is my suggestion then, mainly killing off the italian tr and grabbing the Carolines when it’s almost for free. Haven’t looked yet at if the fleet is stable there, but spontaneously think it should be.

1. if you win the battle in the Carolines and stack the sea zone with all of the Allied fleet, and land the ANZAC planes on the island, you should be able to withstand a full attack. If you lose the battle (4% chance), and can’t land supporting planes on the island, I think he will destroy your fleet. Worth double checking the numbers since you lose the game if he destroys your Pacific fleet. My question is why park in Caroline this round if you are going to retreat back to Queensland next round?

2. What are you planning to do with so many American transports? You don’t yet control the Pacific, won’t control the Pacific with just one more carrier + destroyer, and probably won’t control it for a while. You are in big trouble in Europe compared to a standard game, where you normally are in big trouble.

3. When do you plan to switch spending to the Atlantic? China and India are actually in a great position compared to a standard match. I am really shocked that Yunnan is alive and well. Soon you will have 19 inf + 4 art + a plane in China. I don’t really understand this Japanese plan for Andrew, but this is the biggest force that I have seen in ages.

• Looking at the map again, it appears that he will attack Siberia next turn, followed by an infantry push towards Novosibirsk/Kazakh. He is going to let China run out of control, ignoring it completely. He has no factories on Mainland China for this reason. He will attack India by sea or push his fleet to Africa, or focus on the Pacific islands/ANZAC. That is good news for the Pacific win, but horrible news for Russia. The plan is clear.

You had better respond quickly in Europe because Russia is being attacked from 2 sides, and Egypt might fall in 3 rounds with the out-of-control Italy + German support. Russia + UK combined will earn 50 PUs/turn soon, while Italy + Germany will soon be getting 80-100.

• @trulpen As things currently stand, if he leaves the air on Gibraltar (not sure if he would given he likely needs them in the east), you’re going to need a rather large navy to protect your transports and contest Gibraltar. Things are looking dark in the med. That need may be even larger if Italy neglects a Cairo attack, fortifies Gibraltar, and begins to build a strong navy. When I play allies, I try to figure out what my sort of meta-strategy is, given that the British, US and Anzac all seem to work in concert, albeit in different theaters of war. Obviously you have to play the field that you can see, but I still think it is important to have long term goals in play then adjust them as needed. I think your US buys are alright. I can’t think of anything better to do at the moment unless you want to bomber spam to cause Germany deployment problems, but ultimately that would leave getting boots on the ground to UK, which is totally possible. A few ideas I have off the cuff, I will admit I haven’t calculated odds or long term ramifications, just some spit-balling, feel free to shoot me down hard, like I said I am somewhat new! :)

1. Buff UK navy (a carrier and maybe another BB), occupy outside of Gibraltar, and in a few turns try a Spanish beachhead for USA
    2. Minor facility in Cairo: As I mentioned earlier, I personally disagreed with your UK1, but to each their own. It seems to me that Italy could use a swift kick in the pants, and moving some of that navy back into the med could help that. Conversely, you could move them towards calcutta
    3. Bomber spam US sending them towards UK to bomb Germany and italy back to the stone age in concert with building a large UK fleet (enough to fend off Luftwaffe and at least 4 troop transports. invade normandy, then shuck 8 infantry into the territory every turn, hopefully giving you enough to eventually liberate France and hold it if things go super well.
    4. US super spams Japan, building everything pacific in concert with Anzac navy buff, try to KJF strat. Personally not wild about this, but given you already seem to have forced them into naval buys, if you keep it up, calcutta will stay up longer and give you a chance to do some real damage on the mainland between Britain and China.

Like I said, totally off the cuff ideas, like them, hate them, ignore them, whatever floats your boat! Happy hunting my friend.

• @Saber25

1. agreed. Skip the BB and get subs + destroyers + carriers for more efficient attack and defense. I never buy a battleship in a on-line game.

2. agreed. Cairo needs to be reinforced as soon as possible. The question will be how long the factory will be held. If USA supports Europe, it like will hold out enough turns. If not, Egpyt will fall in 3 more turns.

3. You can’t afford a bomber spam yet. You need to recapture Gibraltar first, and to get Gibraltar you need Allied fleet.

4. Japan is heading to Russia. No need to keep spending that much more in Asia. Japan is giving up his major attack against China so the income will be a bit less than a normal game.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris Totally agreed regarding carriers being superior. I didn’t see that he still had the BB in 109, so definitely no need for another. I usually make sure my fleets have one BB. I have mixed feelings on subs in this scenario. In general I usually think they’re close to the best offensive naval piece, but I wonder if building subs could be less helpful than usual given the need to defend against air raid. Subs would definitely help kill the Italian fleet though. Appreciate the critiques, always glad to learn from more experienced folks!

• Yeah, this is an unusual time with no German Navy, although Italy does have a fair bit. Subs are great at soaking up damage in a mixed Navy+air force battle. If Germany goes Dark Skies, we are going to need more carriers. Nothing else is going to withstand the attack of 20-30 planes.

Certainly a couple of American subs would be a useful component of the Atlantic fleet build.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

For the US to attack effectively in the Atlantic, they will need some fleet, otherwise German subs will deny them landings. This would probably be the turn to build a carrier and destroyer for the Atlantic for that reason. I don’t like the idea of not spending in the Pacific but you might want to consider dropping a transport or two in the East so you can build a sub or two in the Pacific. Normally, my Pacific builds are going to be 1 transport + at least one carrier + subs and air and I don’t like to get behind the Japanese in Carrier builds. But Europe may require it and your strength in China can help contain Japan for a turn.

Another option (to get Gibraltar quickly) is to move the two carriers and a destroyer built in 10 to 89, land hte Hawaii fighters on them and then build a bunch of transports. You can build more navy and air for the pacific side too but threaten Gibraltar with 5 air and 8-12 land units. Building another bomber or two might be an option too. He probably can hold it, but he would have to leave most of the German air there. And the Italian fleet would then be exposed if it moved with a transport to strengthen Gibraltar as British subs and air could reach. At the very least this forces the Germans to focus on their West and may give the Soviets more room to maneuver and Egypt more time. And you might get Gibraltar back out of it next turn. The danger is what it does in the Pacific, but given that you are holding Yunnan, and that much of his fleet is too far away to stack caroline Islands, it may be worth it. The more I think about it, the more likely that this would be my choice, but I would want to think carefully about what happens in the Pacific and make sure I’m not setting up to lose Hawaii. I wouldn’t do Caroline Islands if I did this.

The British build I think is likely a factory in Persia and a carrier if possible along with inf in Cairo. And you can pull the fleet back to the Suez and bring as much air in range as possible. This might mean the UK air in China would go to the Caucasus even if it costs the bonus for a turn.

• Actually, it might be hard for him to hold Gibraltar this way. You would not only have the US attack, but the US carriers offer a landing spot for the UK air. Instead of my previous buy suggestion, I might go with a UK transport and carrier and wait on the Persia Factory. Because he only has 4 inf that can be in Gibraltar, he is then trading German air against Allied land units.

A naval base in central america would also give your fleet more flexibility, although I’m not sure I would want to build that so soon.

And for the UK, I wouldn’t move all the UK air to Caucasus but a fighter and tac which can then use the carrier to land in the Med if the opportunity is realized. All the subs can go to 91 or if you hit his destroyer with your air, to 92. I would do the latter actually so the subs can reach 97. You can keep both Egypt and TransJordan so he can’t block the fleet in the Suez. It forces Italy to bring the fleet back to 97 and to spend to protect it.

Actually not sure if the UK air to Caucasus since other air from UK can land on the carrier in 97. But something to consider. And I might consider moving both allied bombers and the UK air in the med to Malta so every sea zone is in reach of several UK air along with the subs.

A US build of 5 transports and a bomber for the Atlantic and the move I set out below would let you threaten Gibraltar with 12 land and 6 air using the units they can pick up. You can then still build 2 subs a fighter and an inf for the Pacific. The inf could be picked up along with a AA by the transport in Hawaii. You might not need so much for the Atlantic in which case you could change some of that spending to pacific builds or build a naval base so the carriers could rush back to Hawaii as needed.

• @farmboy Morocco will likely be captured by Italy this round. There won’t be a landing spot for the bomber to land from E USA. If he stacks Gibraltar with planes, he will be able to hold it for one more more round at a minimum. It is going to be a challenge to dislodge him, especially with UK and Russia facing the squash from Japan.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m