• My brother and I are playing a game (I’m the axis). Could I, as Italy, invade the Soviets and then send in German troops to the captured territory without that counting as an invasion so I get the German bonus of 5 IPCs. I know the Soviets would be at war with an Axis power, Italy, but that wouldn’t extend to the Germans, right?

Thanks

• Interesting question. I’d like to know the answer to that too.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@ulmisiscrazy said in Annoying Rule.:

but that wouldn’t extend to the Germans, right?

Correct, you are right. Since Italy is at war with Russia and Russia has not gone yet to be able to declare war on Germany than Germany at the moment is not at war with Russia so as long as they do not attack Russia then they can collect the $5 NO.

• Thanks. This move is just slightly annoying as it grants Germany 5 IPCs but I’m not really sure what else it has to it. This is like the Sneaky Karl of the Europe board!

• @ulmisiscrazy said in Annoying Rule.:

Thanks. This move is just slightly annoying as it grants Germany 5 IPCs but I’m not really sure what else it has to it. This is like the Sneaky Karl of the Europe board!

Ya some play you can’t do that in game based on Ger already has a advantage at start.
    Some call it a dirty move but it is what it is.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@SS-GEN
    Not sure how it is “dirty” since it follows the rules. Thinking outside of the box and using the rules to the best advantage is a sign of superior play; not dirty play.

Having said that, if I were Russia and the Allies, I would be happy if my opponent used this tactic. At best Italy is taking Baltic States, Eastern Poland and Bessarabia. That means five things:

1. Italy immediately collects $2 instead of Germany for East Poland and Baltic States. As the Axis Player a dollar for Italy is not nearly as useful as a dollar for Germany.
    2. Germany collects $5 more for the NO but they lose out on $3 too. (Baltic States, Karelia and Eastern Poland) Thus their overall gain is just $2.
    3. Russia gets $1 more for Karelia.
    4. The German troops in Finland are not advancing on Moscow until one Turn later.
    5. Germany collects $2 less the rest of the game and Italy collects $2 more.

Discounting Italy then the Russians gain $1 more which is 1/3 of an infantry. Casualty Unit of 1/3 plus defense of 1.
    Germany gains $2 which is 1/2 of a Mech plus offense of 0.5.
    Or Germany uses it for a tank which is the exact same as the Russian infantry Casualty Unit of 1/3 plus offense of 1.
    I would say that is an even trade for either a Mech or Tank.

Thus the only advantage the Axis gain is the Italians getting $2. The advantage for the Allies is 7 or more Finnish ground units are going to arrive at the gates of Moscow one Turn later than before. In addition the one Axis Power that is most vulnerable to being taken by the Allies is Rome/Italy. If Italy falls then that $2 for Baltic States and Eastern Poland is not going to be collected anymore. Add that in to the fact that the Germans are down $2 the rest of the game while italy is up $2 dollars makes this a bad move IMHO. I would love to see my opponent do this everyday of the week and twice on Thursday.

• I’m just quoting what was said about the move. Not my opinion

• Ok. Thank you so much, guys. It does not seem to be too strong of a move, potentially damaging, for the axis, but I just wanted to clarify the rules. It could, I’m not sure how be of some use in a weird game. Like if the axis goes for Afrika Korps (which is a pretty trash strategy but could work against bad people), it might be possible to sneak an Italian boat into the Caucus before Germany declares war.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@ulmisiscrazy said in Annoying Rule.:

it might be possible to sneak an Italian boat into the Caucus before Germany declares war.

Sneak an Italian boat into the Caucasus? You mean the Black Sea… SZ100? Unless Turkey, a Strict Neutral, has been captured or controlled by the Axis an Italian ship may not enter the Black Sea. Nor an Allied ship unless the Allies have captured or controlled Turkey depending on what the Axis have or have not done.

• @AndrewAAGamer The point of Africa Korps is a sudden smash of the neutrals (I’m pretty sure) and the germans take out Turkey. Then this could be viable.

• @ulmisiscrazy
    Ahhh - Thanks. I had not heard that terminology before and I assumed Afrika Corps meant getting German ground units onto German or Italian transports in the Med and moving them to North Africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m