AA50 Map that I've been working on. Could someone check it for me?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

The colors on the map right now reflect a 1942 set up. When I rework the baseline I’ll recolor everything for 41. Basically I was just lazy on the map key the other night and didn’t want to re-enter all the territory names onto a new 41 map.

Also, I just heard from Dave that Poland is off (the way it borders Hungary Czech). I couldn’t quite make it out from the screenshot, and all the political maps seemed to suggest that Eastern Poland would be the more appropriate choice. The board has Western Poland though, so I’ll fix it to expand the border lines in the appropriate directions. This is one of the rough models I was trying to follow in the original set up. The gameboard is rather different though

And here are some shots of the divisions according to the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact

Ok here’s the tweaked Baseline. I added some meat to Hungary and the Dutch coastline. Fixed the Poland issue, the Sahara, and the territory divisions in the Soviet east. I tried to catch any hanging pixels or breaks in the lines, but another day to double check it never hurts I guess. :)

Also I love the new Players Aid and BattleMaps for AA50. The tiny labels are awesome, nice work guys!
    Those are going to be a huge help. If anyone else wants to use this projection when I’m finished for projects like that, feel free to have at it. Here’s a link to the AA50 players aid for those who haven’t seen it yet. Not done by me, though I’d love to get together with the madman behind all that glorious detailing work. :)

Will be back for more tomorrow. Take care all

• good. a new picture was posted to help you confirm the sea zones and such at BGG

• Black_Elk and Bluestroke:

You each have been awarded the Iron Cross with Oak leaves for your efforts. Its exactly the right type of leadership that somebody can spend all this time to carefully look up information and provide the community such a fascinating player aid. It will now be possible to really make some strategy for the 1941 set ups.

I will start bugging the powers that be to provide set ups for 1942 so we can complete the work you have both begun.

Thanks man  :-D

I went ahead and drafted out a quick 1941 style color chart for the new baseline. I left the labels empty though, in case someone with more skills than me wants to take a crack at it. The flag markers that I used for the capitals are part of a set that I made, I have them in medium and tiny sizes too, if anyone else would like to make use of them. Just shoot me an email and I can send you the zip package.

AA50 1941

Baseline

Decided to switch the colors for USA and China on a recommendation :)

• Looks awesome Black_elk.

Thanks for your efforts!

• It looks great!

• For accuracy
    Brasilia do not exist in 1940’s years,
    Libia it’s italian by 1912 no 1934

• And Spain, in Spanish language, is España, not Espana (espana in Spanish sounds as “is for nothing”, pretty ugly  :-D ). Press ALT + 1 + 6 +4 for writing a ñ in a non-spanish board

And sure Suomi had some simbol. I think is Süomi or Suömi, you should check.

Now, simply change that ugly green for UK and that ugly limey for USA for a beautiful green for USA and a beautiful limey for UK  :-D

All the rest is pretty good. Great job  :-)

• Official Q&A

@dante:

For accuracy
    Brasilia do not exist in 1940’s years

True.  Brasilia was built in the late 1950s and became Brazil’s capital in 1960.  Before that, Rio de Janeiro was the capital.

• Funcioneta, Dante,

I hope you guys aren’t dumping on Black Elk for my mistakes.  Black Elk is doing the AA50 Map and I am doing the AA50PlayersAid Map(now R5.)
    You can link over in the AA50 fact thread.
    comments on the Players Aid map;
    item:Dante I have added your corrections to R5 fo AA50PlayersAid Map.
    item:Funcioneta-colors I picked Olive Drab for US to reflect US Army colors, sorry you don’t like.  I will stay with it for now, it gives me a 1940 WWII color.
      Also, Limey green for UK, the British green for UK gave me good contrast to the Neutral territory grays, which gave me problems, when I edited everything-nuff said.
    item:Thank you for the information, on Alternate language symbols.  I was unaware, I will attempt to add those into map revsion R6.
    Overall, Black Elk is the one with more skill and tools. I’m just learning with Microsoft paint, like a five year old with a box of crayons-LOL, drive on.

• @Bluestroke:

item:Funcioneta-colors I picked Olive Drab for US to reflect US Army colors, sorry you don’t like.  I will stay with it for now, it gives me a 1940 WWII color.
      Also, Limey green for UK, the British green for UK gave me good contrast to the Neutral territory grays, which gave me problems, when I edited everything-nuff said.

It’s OK, but I said that not by matter of tastes. Remember that UK pieces will be limey and USA’s pieces will be green. I think it’s better keep both territory and game pieces in the same color or it will be too confusing.

• @Funcioneta:

@Bluestroke:

It’s OK, but I said that not by matter of tastes. Remember that UK pieces will be limey and USA’s pieces will be green. I think it’s better keep both territory and game pieces in the same color or it will be too confusing.

Funcioneta,

Good point, about Colors and matching game pieces.  I may have to make changes, I may need better software-LoL.  Ok, what about the latest R5 change, the Japan Naval Icons to white, is that going to me more confusing?  I better get out of this thread, I believe its for Black Elks map.

Don’t sweat it dude  :-D
    Its a big tent, with room for all.

I just want to say also, that I love the players guide, even if there is a hiccup or two on the errata part. Just having all that stuff written down on the board makes it twice as valuable as a educational resource. That’s one of the main reasons I love A&A, I think its a great tool to teach history as well as geography. With the players aid, people will actually understand what I’m talking about when I start tossing around words like Kriegsmarine, or Regia Marina hehe. I dig it completely.

As for the color selection, I think that’s always going to be an issue. I know one of the first things we asked Sean to do with tripleA, was to allow individual users to modify their color options. I think between all the various different aesthetic preferences, and the color blind contingent, its almost impossible to find a happy medium. I know when I was first making Pact of Steel (which was always a little gimmicky in my view) I really wanted my Fascists to be Black, for Mussolini’s black shirts. Everyone else voted me down though, in favor of Blue Italians. I yielded eventually, but on my computer the units and territory colors are different than the standard default ones. Unfortunatly, with cardboard and plastic that’s a little harder to do, but I think on the board the colors are probably a little less essential anyway, because we have flag markers and detailed units that are easier to tell apart. On the comp colors seem to be a little more important to people.

Usually when I do these quick color drafts on my maps, I try to preserve a Classic style color scheme for the big 5, since I think that one has been the most consistantly popular. Green for US, Brown for UK, Red for USSR, Grey for Germany, Yellow for Japan. I also prefer a green China for aesthetic balance in Asia, but I know others like purple, or dark orange, or probably a million other colors too. I think as long as you like the color scheme for your own design, that’s probably the most important thing, because someone else is always bound to have an issue. That’s been my experience anyway. Sometimes I think its best to just stick to your guns, and resist the democratic impulse.  8-)

Oh also, if you want a cheap alternative to Photoshop, you might like GIMP
    http://www.gimp.org/

• Black Elk,

Thanks kindly, I appreciate the encouragement.  i will give this gimp thing a try.
    I have had fun learning to use Microsofts paint, but it seems very limited.  I have enjoyed the map making experience with the history and geography.  I thought, I knew a little about WWII.  Its incredible, the amount of new things I am learning each day.

• @Imperious:

Black_Elk and Bluestroke:

You each have been awarded the Iron Cross with Oak leaves for your efforts. Its exactly the right type of leadership that somebody can spend all this time to carefully look up information and provide the community such a fascinating player aid. It will now be possible to really make some strategy for the 1941 set ups.

I will start bugging the powers that be to provide set ups for 1942 so we can complete the work you have both begun.

thanks IL,
    just saw the post.  This was strange for me, it was like working on a puzzle, taking those pictures and attempting to recreate them, which caused me to look up those countries history during the war and well, there it is.  I couldn’t seem to put it down…

• you can get some more clues on the pacific part of the map from that print media picture.

• Great work, black elk

I want to customize my map, with terrain futures, like snow and winter in Finland, Karelia and Archangelsk, and mountains in Norway and forest in Canada. So any suggestions to what program I need to use to pimp my map ? I need icons of mountains, snow and tree’s

• @Adlertag:

Great work, black elk

I want to customize my map, with terrain futures, like snow and winter in Finland, Karelia and Archangelsk, and mountains in Norway and forest in Canada. So any suggestions to what program I need to use to pimp my map ? I need icons of mountains, snow and tree’s

I will 2nd Adlertags question is there an easier way to do topography.  I have started practice with light and dark shading to achieve mtn height.  Are their premade graphics for this sort of thing?

• Adlertag:

I remember that map you painted and its still one of my favorite because its painted and i like the territories you carved.
    Where is that post? I Think it was back in 2005 at Harris near the section where he talks about his original 1942 map.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m