• '19 Moderator

Bump, I know you have a pricelist Satchel, don’t leave us hanging…

• @dezrtfish:

Bump, I know you have a pricelist Satchel, don’t leave us hanging…

I might be building a second series if there is enough demand.  Email me, wickedguild@hotmail.com.

• AK_Satchel,

That is a beautiful piece you have there.  I’m sure you are pleased.  I have made some crude furniture pieces and I couldn’t touch that.

I am guessing you will be selling the tables without pieces.  I am still hand painting my set of pieces and the man hours in that is not something folks are willing to pay, in my experience.

Regarding the magnetized fighters … I would drill a hole down the axis of the plane and insert a piece of a paperclip wire.  Then I would put a magnet under the deck of the carrier.  I believe with a strong enough magnet, this would work fine.  However, having more than one aircraft carrier nearby might be a problem.

I like your bases for the airplanes.  Seems the fighters might need these too.

I like your idea for having the drinks in holders and not on the table.

Have you considered having drawer pulls with the national emblums on the knobs?

I would also consider making a small “stand” that would sit on four legs of about four inches in length.  The surface of the stand (a mini table of its own) would be the battle board.  For newbies, they could place their units on the stand which rests on the table and remove casualties as the battle goes on.  Big time veterans wouldn’t need this, but it might be a nice touch.  After the battle is over, the remaining units are placed back on the tabletop and the stand can be set aside someplace.

Regarding color schemes, I am using two colors for the IJN units; sand and IJN green.  For the UK, I plan to use desert sand and something else for European theater units.  For the US, I will use basic OD green, but I may repaint five infantry units with a little camo pattern for US Marines.  All the Ruskies (brown) and Germans (medium grey) will be one color.  Maybe someday I will paint a few Germans in a pale grey for Africa Corps or something.

You have done some fantastic work and I hope you receive a financial reward for it along with your own satisfaction.  Sorry, but I just couldn’t afford one myself.  Good Luck!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I believe there are a few places out there that will sell you painted pieces if you want them.  May be cheaper to order the sets from them, mark them up a little to recoup your losses a bit and then resell them as part of the package.

Just my two cents though.  I can’t speak for others, but I love doing the detail work on my little diorama figures, always have, it was the macro scale items I didn’t enjoy too much and bought elsewhere (castles, hills and valleys, etc.)

• To make a large number, and by keeping the price down.  You can build battle boxes for the Guadalcanal game so that it’ll last longer.  I be everyone will purchase that.

• Amazing work, the table, maps and units look impressive.  I’ve very much wanted to build an enlarged laminated map, but the biggest problem I’ve found is the units!  If I may ask, where are those units from?  A different A&A game?  They don’t look like they come from the minis game…  I’ve looked online and in miniatures/hobby shops but I haven’t found anything that fits the scale I wanted.

I would be very interested in the 250MB PDF map that you have as well.  It looks like the perfect sized map I was looking for, and the work is impressively detailed.

Once again, kudos to the creative and dedicated work you put into this, I’m so very jealous :)

• Oops, looking closer, it seems you did use the pieces out of the box.  Amazing paint job!  Barely recognizable, decals look sweet as hell.  Love the IC look too!!

• Holy crap! Those are the OOB pieces.  :-o

That dude must have a lot of time into that table & set.  I hope he enjoys it he deserves it.

LT

• You know, I’m not usually into game mods.  I play with the original board and ziplock bags, and that’s the way I like it (my only mods are markers glued back-to-back and combining ~8 sets for extra pieces).

But looking at the blog, I gotta admit that thing is freaking cool  :-D

Satchel, that table is a TANK!

• How do you think he got the magnets on the FTR’s and CV’s so you can’t see them?

LT

• It’s a good trade secret for sure, and Satchel doesn’t seem to want to let it out of the bag.

You can see the magnet strip cut perfectly to fit on the deck of the CVs – but I’m still scratching my head on the planes.  He did a great job of disguising it.

I’m thinking a dremel tool up the belly to gut it out and then inserting a small nail or magnet in the plane.  Then you wouldn’t see it unless you flipped it over.

Very nicely done.

• Bierwagen

• You buy them at loews supply… these are what they call furniture buttons used to hide nails used to attach tables and chairs. They fit inside holes drilled in the side and the button is inserted in the hole. They are sold in bags and cost about $3-5 bucks for 25…

You nail a nail in the middle or make a hole with a dremel tool as you eluded too. Then make double sided flags printed on decal sheets.

I plan on making the graphic for this shortly so people can make their own. If your willing to make a “how to guide” we can post the information to this site so others can benefit.

• surely he just painted the planes with metallic paint  :wink:

• I never thought of that.  It looked like he did that on the decks of the VC’s also then.

LT

• Actually what our group is doing to our navy planes and Carriers is putting a very small strip of magnetic tape you can buy in a roll and cut to size.  One side is adhesive but we add glue to avoid any edge curling.  It doesn’t take much - especially a washer type magnet - because all you are doing is keeping the plane from falling off.

We put a small strip down the belly of the plane.  And we put a small patch on the top of the carrier.  Its totally hidden when the planes are on it.  Saves the work and trouble of drilling and iserting mag wire or metal down the centers.

• @oldsalty:

Actually what our group is doing to our navy planes and Carriers is putting a very small strip of magnetic tape you can buy in a roll and cut to size.  One side is adhesive but we add glue to avoid any edge curling.  It doesn’t take much - especially a washer type magnet - because all you are doing is keeping the plane from falling off.

We put a small strip down the belly of the plane.  And we put a small patch on the top of the carrier.  Its totally hidden when the planes are on it.  Saves the work and trouble of drilling and iserting mag wire or metal down the centers.

Nice!  Good to know that it works.  I sat in Hobby Lobby looking at that for a good 20 minutes, it comes on what looks like a roll of tape.  But, it looked so flimsy I just didn’t think it would have the strength to hold the planes on the deck.

Thanks for the confirmation OldSalty!  I didn’t really feel like drilling out all my planes.

• Oldsalty,

Thanks for the info.

LT

• 2007 AAR League

@oldsalty:

Actually what our group is doing to our navy planes and Carriers is putting a very small strip of magnetic tape you can buy in a roll and cut to size.  One side is adhesive but we add glue to avoid any edge curling.  It doesn’t take much - especially a washer type magnet - because all you are doing is keeping the plane from falling off.

We put a small strip down the belly of the plane.  And we put a small patch on the top of the carrier.  Its totally hidden when the planes are on it.   Saves the work and trouble of drilling and iserting mag wire or metal down the centers.

smashing info! will try that out myself!

And Satchel… Wow! “Impressive” doesn’t seem to be nearly enough, to describe that table…  :-o

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m