• '19 Moderator

Well, I supose if that’s true it will be popular here in 15 or 20 years

• @Imperious:

No not a chance. The people who like Soccer are dirt poor so no money can support ticket sales and fans are localized to border states or warm states.

Yeah, David Beckham is dirt poor and came from a very warm border state.  :roll:

Soccer is more popular in kids, recreational, and high school leagues.  MLS has been picking up steam.

There apparently is a big sentiment that it’s a “wussy” sport, or it’s boring because the scores are so low.  Hockey had a revamp recently because they were suffering from the same “low score stigma.”

• We are talking about the popularity of soccer in America… not England. My god. :roll:

MLS has been “picking up steam” for 10 years  13 years with little to show but only incidental ticket sales.

Perhaps in 40 more years it will be close to volleyball.

Probably they will have to start with the beer logo uniforms to support them with more money to attract real soccer players.

Beckham is at the end of his career and his acquisition is a stolen play from Al Davis ( Oakland Raiders owner) book of getting somebody who is over the hill and restore a few fleeting flashes of former glory. These things are only a temporary fix for filling the stadium.

• Soccer has only become popular with the youth of America over the past 15 years or so, and pretty much did not exist when I was in high school (20 years ago), at least not in my area.

But as it has expanded at the primary and secondary education levels in popularity, it will expand at the “consumer level” over the coming decades.

In another 20 years we will have our first full generation of kids that grew up playing soccer having kids of their own that will probably play soccer.  And as we have an increase in the adult population of previous soccer players, the viability of large scale professional soccer teams will increase.

Soccer just has not been in America long enough to have been able to develop a multi-generational fan base like our other major sports have.

• @ncscswitch:

Soccer has only become popular with the youth of America over the past 15 years or so, and pretty much did not exist when I was in high school (20 years ago), at least not in my area.

But as it has expanded at the primary and secondary education levels in popularity, it will expand at the “consumer level” over the coming decades.

In another 20 years we will have our first full generation of kids that grew up playing soccer having kids of their own that will probably play soccer.  And as we have an increase in the adult population of previous soccer players, the viability of large scale professional soccer teams will increase.

Soccer just has not been in America long enough to have been able to develop a multi-generational fan base like our other major sports have.

so you definitely see soccer among top few sports in USA in the years to come  :-)

well, what can i say, love basketball and handball, tenis, athletics, swimming

but soccer is soccer. simply the best :mrgreen:

• @Imperious:

We are talking about the popularity of soccer in America… not England. My god. :roll:

True.  But your point about ticket sales is moot because they brought Beckham and will bring more big ticket stars in to the US soon.  I’ve heard Ronaldinho is making his way to the US…I think…

Perhaps in 40 more years it will be close to volleyball.

Volleyball is nowhere near soccer in terms of popularity.  I do enjoy playing at the bar league and fell in love with the Olympics because of women’s volleyball.  :evil:

Probably they will have to start with the beer logo uniforms to support them with more money to attract real soccer players.

All professional sports team have sponsors.  But interesting enough the Seattle expansion team (another point to its growth) is sponsored by Xbox.

Beckham is at the end of his career and his acquisition is a stolen play from Al Davis ( Oakland Raiders owner) book of getting somebody who is over the hill and restore a few fleeting flashes of former glory. These things are only a temporary fix for filling the stadium.

It’s obvious he was brought in for his draw.  But someone over the hill doesn’t do this (last week): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgjWZXnTn9A

• True.  But your point about ticket sales is moot because they brought Beckham and will bring more big ticket stars in to the US soon.  I’ve heard Ronaldinho is making his way to the US…I think…

But hes not anymore…the first couple of games were full and as soon as he played full games and it didn’t magically change the Galaxy season, then people just got off the wagon. The thrill is gone on that ploy.

Ronaldo is another old player. I watched him play live at Pasadena back in 1994 at the world cup…how good can he be 14 years latter…?

Its only a temporary fix to bring in these old chaps…its almost like they are grabbing at straws to fill the seats with gimmicks. If they want to do better, they got to bring in better financial support so they can get current stars from Europe.

• but soccer is soccer. simply the best

Yes, Amon Sûl, and that’s why I will watch your team’s totally unexpected defeat on Sunday  :-D

It will be like attacking an Inf with 1 Inf, 1 Arm, BB-Shot and Fgt, and still losing  :evil:

• @Imperious:

But hes not anymore…the first couple of games were full and as soon as he played full games and it didn’t magically change the Galaxy season, then people just got off the wagon. The thrill is gone on that ploy.

Of course there will be a spurt then a drawback.  But he is a celebrity and he helped bring a lot more attention and interest to the game.  Just like Fukudome and other Japanese stars to MLB.

Ronaldo is another old player. I watched him play live at Pasadena back in 1994 at the world cup…how good can he be 14 years latter…?

He’s only 31 and has had a strong seasons still, but suffered a bad injury this year and the future is doubtful.  but I was talking about Ronaldinho who is one, if not the top one, best players in soccer right now.  May just be rumors about him coming here…but the money is there and he’ll bring it.

Its only a temporary fix to bring in these old chaps…its almost like they are grabbing at straws to fill the seats with gimmicks. If they want to do better, they got to bring in better financial support so they can get current stars from Europe.

There is a temporary surge, but it does bolster the overall interest.  They owners wouldn’t be spending so much money to bring these people over.  And if they couldn’t play, they wouldn’t bother signing them anyway.  The expansion teams and buzz around Beckham are signs that soccer is on the up and up.  Feel free to smite me more in disagreement.

• @Complex:

but soccer is soccer. simply the best

Yes, Amon Sûl, and that’s why I will watch your team’s totally unexpected defeat on Sunday   :-D

It will be like attacking an Inf with 1 Inf, 1 Arm, BB-Shot and Fgt, and still losing  :evil:

we ll see, we ll see 8-) :wink: :lol:

• Bad thing is, that A&A players don’t seem too interested in soccer (honestly it’s only World cup and Euro for me too). Well, the Americans are not known to be big fans anyway, they do have lots of other alternatives (Green Bay anyone, by the way?). But the Europeans do really let me down. I could not get statements from Ranor (German, not interested) or Funcioneta (Spanish, also not interested - a Spaniard not interested in soccer, imagine that  :lol:) concerning the Euro08. Would have been fun to have a little bet-game here on the forum.

• Soccer is extremely big at my school.  In elementary we played soccer at every recess since kindergarten.  It is no wonder that soccer is the only sport that we have one a state title in, and we have won 7 out of the last 8 districts in soccer.

• @bananaman:

Soccer is extremely big at my school.  In elementary we played soccer at every recess since kindergarten.  It is no wonder that soccer is the only sport that we have one a state title in, and we have won 7 out of the last 8 districts in soccer.

where are u from

• 2007 AAR League

soccer is big in the midwest.

everyone plays on teams growing up to about middle school, then kids start to specialize getting better at fewer sports.

• @Complex:

I could not get statements from Ranor (German, not interested) or Funcioneta (Spanish, also not interested - a Spaniard not interested in soccer, imagine that  :lol:) concerning the Euro08.

I’m not interested in soccer, but when you receive info on TV all hours, you learn something, even if you don’t want. See my reply in the other pool and that funny Media Mark promo  :mrgreen:

• @Funcioneta:

@Complex:

I could not get statements from Ranor (German, not interested) or Funcioneta (Spanish, also not interested - a Spaniard not interested in soccer, imagine that  :lol:) concerning the Euro08.

I’m not interested in soccer, but when you receive info on TV all hours, you learn something, even if you don’t want. See my reply in the other pool and that funny Media Mark promo   :mrgreen:

which sports do you prefer then

basketball. handball, tenis

i watched Nadal at Sunday, man he was strong, he smashed Federer, simply too strong

• Basketball. A pity that the stupid president of Spanish Federation fired the coach who won the Mundials  :-P

And chess… for playing  :-D

• At least you didn’t mislabel Soccer as ‘football’

• @allies_fly:

At least you didn’t mislabel Soccer as ‘football’

I like American football just fine, but it stole the name and barely even connects the ball and feet.

The term Armored Wankball (not mine) seems to fit it more and more.  :lol:  Especially when there are 15 seconds of play and a minute of commercials. Geez.

• @Jermofoot:

@allies_fly:

At least you didn’t mislabel Soccer as ‘football’

I like American football just fine, but it stole the name and barely even connects the ball and feet.

The term Armored Wankball (not mine) seems to fit it more and more.  :lol:  Especially when there are 15 seconds of play and a minute of commercials. Geez.

hmm.

yes, all that action in soccer is way better than the beer commercials

wankerball.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m