• When and how do you usually take out the German Med fleet? I would asume that you use US, but how many resources do you use?

• Probably the best would be to use 2 to 3 fighters and the bomber.  It’s easier to use resources that can travel farther in one shot than to ahve to wait for your ships to sail all the way into the Med.

• I usually add Allied ships from a fleet stationed in SZ12 in addition to aircraft to do the job.

• 2007 AAR League

In addition to that - WHEN do you attack the Med fleet ? Are you to try killing it already in round 2, or do you await until round 3 , or even gasp round4?

• It ges taken out when I can do so with minimal risk of loss to my fleet.  No set round as it varies based on Germany’s moves… especially their FIG placements, and of course whether or not they reinforce the fleet.

• You could move both FTRs and the BMR from the UK on UK1 to Russia then on UK2 (if the Germans don’t move them to far take them out and land in T-J. If they do move you might have to move your units to T-J and take them out on UK3. Who knows if they will they may just think your aiding Russia not thinking your doing a Pearl attack of your own.

-LT04

• In my youth I attacked the med fleet asap, hoping to knock out at least the trn. But with age and experience I found it less risky to let G move 6+ ipc’s into africa each turn and slowly wait until my B airforce has sufficient strength to get the job done correctly.

Depending on how the Baltic fleet T1 battle goes, 2fgt & bmb vs 2SS, tr & DD, which is a MUST for the allies, I’d say T3 or 4. I prefer to hit the G med fleet (BB & trn) w/4 fgt & bmb.

Really it depends what style of game you want to play as the allies.

• I’ve seen such allied insanity as 2 ftr, bmr on 2 tpt, BB in SZ15….

and UK won, round 2, with merely losing 1 ftr.

Pretty large game swing there.  :(

• 2007 AAR League

Sounds like someone was playing axis at the time…

• If the German transport is undefended I move the Bomber from London and take it out on UK 1. This way they can’t move into Africa as fast. I can take my time taking out the rest of the German navy.

-LT04

• If the transport is open, I use whatever i can to take it out IMMEDIATELY, before it becomes guarded and turns into a pest.  Other than that, I destroy any other navy in the mediterranean when it tries to leave.

• 2007 AAR League

I like to wait until I can send in a US Fleet and already have landed lots of men in N Africa. If I don’t have to put my Air Force at risk I won’t unless I see a good opportunity.

• @losttribe04:

If the German transport is undefended.

Who are you guys playing? I’m ready for an easy game!

• He he thats funny.

-LT04

• @axis_roll:

I’ve seen such allied insanity as 2 ftr, bmr on 2 tpt, BB in SZ15….

and UK won, round 2, with merely losing 1 ftr.

Pretty large game swing there.  :(

Okay, A_R, this sounds like sour grapes to me.  :wink:

But in all seriousness, it wasn’t that crazy for me to attack your Med fleet Round 2 with my UK air force.  According to Frood, my odds were:

Survive with no losses . . . 3.42%

Survive losing 1 ftr. . . . 16.7%  (i.e., just over a 20% chance of me clearing the sea zone with 1 ftr. or less loss!)

Survive losing 2 ftrs . . . 24.53%

Lose everything . . . 55.35%

Okay, not great odds if this is a land battle, but let’s look at your fleet’s odds of survival:

Survive with no losses . . . 6.26%

Survive losing 1 transport . . . 15.78%

Survive losing BOTH transports . . . 20.08%

Lose everything . . . 57.88!

So I had about an 88% chance of effectively ending the German menace to Africa, not to mention the Caucuses, in Round 2!.  If it means I have to re-build some Allied air, I’ll take those odds every time.  In fact, I sometimes go ahead and build the extra air on UK 1 so I don’t have to do it later.  (I did so in our game, in fact.)

The alternative approach is to wait for the U.S. fleet to arrive, where you are basically looking at Turn 4 or 5 at the earliest before they have the firepower (assuming a Med. Fleet w/two transports).  By then, Germany should have Africa secured.  Not only that, but America has to screw up its shuck to enter the Med (usually).  Are you telling me that losing a couple of British fighters is a worse alternative than that?  Personally, I only like to move into the Med if I am taking Southern Europe.  That’s a nice exchange for my shuck – as opposed to a Med. fleet that’s probably already served its purpose for Germany.

• the only sour grapes was that you only lost 1 ftr (22% odds for that)

It was a 50-50 battle going in, huge reward, somewhat risky.

It paid off well for you.  In ANY battle, you have to weigh the cost versus reward and consider the odds.  I can see that it was a huge battle for the allies, but had the 50-50 battle gone against you, it may have been pretty disasterous. (well axis_roll, that’s when you w/d!)

Agreed with all you and I have said.

When one side continues to lose key battles to 20% outcomes, it’s hard to overcome.

Re-Checking my odds calc, I had 42% chance of having the BB or more left… hell, If I had traded my fleet for your UK airforce (55%), I would’ve been ecstatic!

Bottom line, you need to win some battles to win the war, and your UK air force did just that for you there.  My airforce FAILED to do that for me a round or two later.  Those tow huge battles put me in catch-up mode, from which I was never able to recover.

• Last night i had the opportunity to attack the German BB & tran in SZ 15 with the Indian fleet, Egypt fig and bomber on UK1 thinking i could get to them in a couple of rounds.  I instead chose to pester Japan by invading Borneo and East Indies, hit the tran and sub.  Results, lost DD taking out tran, lost the sub, took the islands, lost all but 2 figs on the counter because japan didn’t need to hit the DD and sub, if those survived would have been able to maintain the carrier.

Needless to say, i never got another good opportunity to hit the Med fleet until the end of the game which drew out a game that would have been done in 6 rounds to about 9.  Had i taken the med fleet on UK one, probably could have done so only loosing the tranny, leaving a loaded carrier and DD safe in the med wichi could hook up with other support on UK 2 and had unfettered control of Afrika by T3, allowing full shuck into Karelia from there on out.

• @SpartanJD01:

Needless to say, i never got another good opportunity to hit the Med fleet until the end of the game which drew out a game that would have been done in 6 rounds to about 9.  Had i taken the med fleet on UK one, probably could have done so only loosing the tranny, leaving a loaded carrier and DD safe in the med wichi could hook up with other support on UK 2 and had unfettered control of Afrika by T3, allowing full shuck into Karelia from there on out.

Every game is a learning experience

• I learned plenty of what not to do with UK on that turn.  Of course, circumstances are always different.

• Med fleet shouldn’t be a big deal.  You’re dumping loads into Africa, which the Germans can’t match.  So the Germans really are using the Med fleet to bolster its attack on Caucasus/Ukraine.  1-2 units a turn plus battleship bombard makes a difference, but it isn’t by any means a major problem; you can be dumping units into Russia through Archangel, even while you’re feeding units into Africa.

If the Germans built 1-2 additional transports in Med, then it’s a problem.  But all the US has to do is use some of its transports plus air, and the German Med fleet is toast, barring a carrier build - at which point Germany’s put so much in the water that it probably can’t compete on the ground against Russia anyways.

In short - if the Med fleet becomes a problem, you can deal with it.  If you’re rolling over Germany with superior air already, you can roll through the Med to challenge Japan’s attack on Africa.  That’s another barrel of cookies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m