• '19 '18 '17

I am certainly not the first one to come up with this, but I couldn’t find something with the search function.

To quote the rulebook, the turn sequence and the sequence for the Purchase Units phase are as follows.

Turn Sequence
    1. Purchase and Repair Units
    2. Combat Move (Powers at War Only)
    3. Conduct Combat (Powers at War Only)
    4. Noncombat Moveis
    5. Mobilize New Units
    6. Collect Income

Purchase Units sequence
    1. Order units
    2. Pay for units and repair damaged units and facilities
    3. Place units in mobilization zone

When we play at home we often find it difficult to decide things to buy before the combats are declared. So we simply swap the first two phases. First decide what combats you do, then decide what to buy, then conduct combats and move on with the rest of the turn. Still no dice are rolled before deciding what to buy.

Everywhere in the rules, all player desicions are required as early as necessary and as late as possible. So I don’t get why this is not the case here, too. It seems I am missing something :)

The only thing that I see as a problem right now is the repair part of the phase. With still damaged shipyards/battleships for example you can’t plan/conduct your combat movements. A solution would be to repair first, then move and after that buy new units.

In detail something like this should work:
    Turn Sequence
    0. Repair Units/Facilities
    1. Combat Move (Powers at War Only)
    2. Purchase Units
    3. Conduct Combat (Powers at War Only)
    4. Noncombat Moveis
    5. Mobilize New Units
    6. Collect Income

Am I missing something? What do you think?

• '17 '16

Here is the link to a thread on your topic in Houserule forum.

Purchase units before Combat Movement?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38315.msg1566880#msg1566880

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

A buddy of mine tried something like this except that all powers purchased at the same time, and frankly I found it to be super easy. It’s probably a great way to speed up play though.

Marsh

• '19 '18 '17

@Baron:

Here is the link to a thread on your topic in Houserule forum.

Purchase units before Combat Movement?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38315.msg1566880#msg1566880

Thanks for the link!

@ShadowHAwk:

[…] As long as no dice are thrown your allowed back into your previous phase. […]

This is the key sentence. Now that I visualize our face to face games we kind of split the turn into two sections where you may (with the needed precautions) move between the phases rather freely.

So before any dice are rolled, you may adjust your combat movements, buys and repairs simultaneously. And after the conduct combat phase you may adjust your non combat movements and stuff till the next guy starts with his turn. (And for simply forgotten units without effect on the next players move till he starts rolling dice)

Good to hear, that I’m not missing something and there are some people who do this alike.

regards

• does not everyone do combatmove before purhcase???

• '21 '20 '18 '17

it requires some additional planning, your buy should be ready before your turn in any event in order to move things along

while sometimes it is ok to revise a purchase or fix a mistake it is cheese to change your buy after you see how you do in combat

the turn order is there to prevent constant waffling and time wasting too it keeps things clean so that stuff doesn’t get moved more than once

• '19 '18 '17

I don’t know for how long those maps are there, but I just reinstalled triplea after a few months and what am I seeing:

• World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition with Combat Move First

• World War II Global 1940 Balanced Mod with Combat Move First

I’m really happy right now. Didn’t know this exists already :)

I guess both parties need to play the “combat move first” version of the maps in a multi-player game?

• '19 '17

@Koala:

I don’t know for how long those maps are there, but I just reinstalled triplea after a few months and what am I seeing:

I guess both parties need to play the “combat move first” version of the maps in a multi-player game?

Yes, it would be asking a bit much of the makers to allow the players of the same match to not use the same turn order.

• '19 '17 '16

@Koala:

You are welcome.

Purchase first drives me crazy too. Hadn’t thought about the repair of facility limitation - was only really worried about the landing on newly purchased carrier as the only valid landing site limitation. Simple edit mode fix though, in both cases.

• '19 '17 '16

Are there any negative consequences from having repair before combat movement? I guess separating it from purchase is a bit off-putting

• '19 '17 '16

I agree. It is also not rules compliant.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m