• Why should NO’s only give IPCs? Or only be required to control a certain territory?

-Germany:
    Immediately gain 1 submarine to mobilize if 2 Submarines have already been purchased this turn.

Spain will become a Pro-Axis neutral if Germany controls London.

Etc.

• 1Bean432-

That is a really interesting idea!

The Soviet Union could possibly upgrade an infantry to a tank if they win a battle and destroyed a german tank. Then again thats more like a national advantage.

The problem is that military vehicles, divisions, and ships dont magically appear just because some goal was met. IPC’s can be said to represent the resource, propoganda, manpower, or logistical advantages that were acheived.

This, like my earlier ideas, have potential if used properly. Thanks for the input!

• Customizer

That idea for the submarines has some merit. Something like mass-producing submarines makes them a little cheaper to produce.
    Still, I think that would be too powerful for Germany. As Germany, I would LOVE a rule like this because I usually try to put a couple of subs in the water every round to convoy raid England and/or keep the US fleet at bay. If I could get a 3rd sub every time I put 2 down, that would be great!
    So, I think there should be some other condition that has to be met in addition to Germany purchasing 2 subs. Like perhaps no Allied ships in the Baltic Sea and all sea zones bordering Europe and Scandanavia. This would be the following Sea Zones: 105, 110, 112, 125, 126, 113, 114 and 115.
    So, in order for Germany to get this bonus of an extra sub, or cheaper subs if you prefer, Germany has to destroy the Soviet naval presence and keep the Baltic clear AND keep any and all Allied ships shooed away from the European coast.
    This seems like a good idea to me. I think I will house rule this.

By the way, the idea of Spain becoming Pro-Axis if London falls is not only a good idea, it is very realistic. It is very possible that Franco would have thrown in with the Axis if London was taken out. I think the main reason Spain stayed neutral was fear of British reprisals if Germany didn’t win the war.

• Customizer

Anybody ever consider making Spain part of Italy? Alternately HBG’s yellow sculpts could fill in nicely for a minor player.

• @toblerone77:

Anybody ever consider making Spain part of Italy?

Mussolini would probably have found this an attractive idea, but I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

• Customizer

@CWO:

@toblerone77:

Anybody ever consider making Spain part of Italy?

Mussolini would probably have found this an attractive idea, but I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

Yes. I was wondering if anyone had considered adding Spain to Italy the same way Germany in most editions of the game controls southern Europe/Italy. The difference is Spain would use Italian sculpts and be controlled by the Italian player.

My alternative would be to equip Spain with the yellow Axis minors and matching neutral sculpts to be played by one of the Axis players. An interesting twist would be that as an Axis player Japan might control Spain.

As far as balance goes, Spain would not be an overly powerful nation on the board but would add some flavor. There are a lot of ways to go with this thought however I should elaborate perhaps in another thread. Perhaps I should also wait until I’m not using my smartphone at work LOL.

• @toblerone77:

Yes. I was wondering if anyone had considered adding Spain to Italy the same way Germany in most editions of the game controls southern Europe/Italy. The difference is Spain would use Italian sculpts and be controlled by the Italian player.

A house rule to have Italy control Spain is certainly possible (anything is possible in house rules), but I can’t imagine on what historical basis it would be done.  Germany’s control of southern Italy in most games that are set in 1942  is a bit of a historical stretch because it only occupied northern Italy in 1943 after Mussolini was deposed, but its control of the rest of southern Europe had been accomplished by the summer of 1941.  By contrast, Spain was never controlled by Italy or Germany at any point.  I suppose one could imagine some sort of alternate history scenario in which Franco loses the Civil War, and Germany and Spain respond by stepping up their military intervention to the point where they take over the country, and Germany then lets Italy occupy Spain on its own.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@toblerone77:

A house rule to have Italy control Spain is certainly possible (anything is possible in house rules), but I can’t imagine on what historical basis it would be done.  Germany’s control of southern Italy in most games that are set in 1942  is a bit of a historical stretch because it only occupied northern Italy in 1943 after Mussolini was deposed, but its control of the rest of southern Europe had been accomplished by the summer of 1941.  By contrast, Spain was never controlled by Italy or Germany at any point.  I suppose one could imagine some sort of alternate history scenario in which Franco loses the Civil War, and Germany and Spain respond by stepping up their military intervention to the point where they take over the country, and Germany then lets Italy occupy Spain on its own.

You’re hitting the nail right on the head Marc. For game purposes, loosely based on Spain becoming part of the Axis, I thought of Italy although it’s a stretch historically. It would make more sense to have Germany act as the controlling player as far as realism or frankly for Spain to have separate pieces. However for those with only OOB pieces, using Italy or Germany’s sculpts is pretty much it.

I also suggested Italy because again, it’s a stretch, but Germany already has enough territory, income, and arsenal at thier disposal without adding Spain to it. So I chose Italy because it could also potentially give them easier access to the Atlantic.  All of this I conceived almost exclusively for a way to include Spain in the Axis camp for gameplay.

One of the attractions of A&A for me is the “what-if” factor. Personally I am working on building up a sculpt set exclusively for Spain so you could include them as an additional Axis power. Conversely I am also hoping to build a sculpt set for Spain to depict an alternative history scenario where Republican forces won the Spanish Civil War.

Anyway it’s one of those reasons to buy more sculpts LOL.

• I reworked the UK NO’s a while back and this made the most sense.

When the United Kingdom Is at War in Europe (awarded to the Europe economy):
    • 5 IPCs if there is at least one UK transport in sea zone 117, 118, 107, or 108; and there are no Axis submarines or Surface warships in or adjacent to these sea zones.
    Theme: North Atlantic naval shipping security.
    • 5 IPCs if Africa and the Middle East are free of axis combat units.
    Theme: Colonial superiority and security for the United Kingdom.
    • 5 IPCs if no hostile Axis warships are adjacent to India, Egypt, and Gibraltar while all are controlled by the United Kingdom.
    Theme: Vital trade with the Far East colonies.

When the United Kingdom Is at War with Japan (awarded to the Pacific economy):
    • 5 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls both Kwangtung and Malaya.
    Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.
    • 5 IPCs if no hostile Axis warships are adjacent to Scotland, Egypt, and Gibraltar while all are controlled by the United Kingdom.
    Theme: Vital supplies from the Mother Country.

• oztea-

i appreciate the more concise version of my suggested NO’s, and they seem historically sound. But wouldn’t this prove to be a bit overpowered? I mean, the UK as a whole receives 10 IPC’s just for domination of 4 strategic points. I dont think the UK needs that much of an economic boost in comparison to the other nations, do they?

These ideas for Spains involvement are sound, (although im not sure they should be presumed to be part of italy) and can easily be applied to other states as well. Lets see what neutrals there are. . .

Turkey: wouldnt be easily swayed, but if the USSR had fallen and germany had put them under enough pressure, they may have sided with the axis.

Latin America: All declared war just before the end. To make it simple: become pro-allied once paris and moscow both under allied control. Or once allies have 10 europe VC’s

Mongolia: taken care of with border pact

Sweden: loosely supportive of Germany with iron ore exports, but even when surrounded by german territory did not give in , so impractical to include rule.

Saudi Arabia: started out leaning towards axis, but eventually declared war on germany, and other arab states (yemen, oman, UAE) had ties to britain. not sure where theyd go. . .

Correct and add to this as needed, but I dont see the point of putting those countries on the board and not using them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m