• A carrier with 2 planes on it can both move into an enemy sea zone, attack, and if it wins, the planes can then land on the carrier.

An obvious answer but there was a disagreement and I agreed to post the question.

Eddie Moreno

• That is correct, Eddie.
    With what exactly, did they have a problem?

• There are other versions where the aircraft carrier has an attack value of 0 and a damaged carrier can’t be landed on.

Making sending in a carrier to attack useless.  So I think they got used to playing that version and assumed a carrier cannot attack.  Although even in those versions if you know you are going to loose your planes or there is an island you can land on, you can still send in the carrier as cannon fodder, but they played that version as though you can’t send in a carrier.

They looked up the rules and tried to argue that in certain places of the rule book, in was implicit that you can’t send a carrier to attack.  It was a pretty weird conversation but nevertheless, I agreed to post the question.

• Although I would like an official moderator to advise on the issue as they might not take the answer from someone who is not a moderator.

• That is understandable.
    PM Panther, Gamerman or Krieg, drawing their attention to your question.

• You are right, of course.

The action in question is completely covered by the rulebook of this edition of the game (see page 28).

(Your friends maybe even seem to misunderstand something from “other” versions - but without knowing more details I cannot further comment on that.)

• I’m sorry, I didn’t ask the question clear enough to satisfy the argument.

A carrier with 2 planes on it can both move (Both meaning not both planes, but the planes and the carrier) into an enemy sea zone, attack, and if it wins, the planes can then land on the carrier.

The argument is if the carrier has two planes on it, the carrier can’t move into combat or the planes that took off the carrier into the enemy sea zone cannot land on the carrier if carrier also moved into the hostile sea zone and conducted combat.

The rule book only states “Any fighters belonging to the aircraft carrier owner move independently of the carrier. These fighters can make a combat move from the carrier’s original sea zone, or they can remain in the original sea zone until the Noncombat Move phase…Your aircraft carrier can move to or remain in a sea zone where one of your fighters will end its noncombat move (and in fact, it must do so if it is able).”

I think that last part, “Your aircraft carrier can move to or remain in a sea zone where one of your fighters will end its noncombat move” Is where they get that idea.

Please give me a good answer although it is hard to argue that you can do something without a specific rule stating that you can.  Of course doesn’t say you can’t in any way.

• @eddiem4145:

The argument is if the carrier has two planes on it, the carrier can’t move into combat or the planes that took off the carrier into the enemy sea zone cannot land on the carrier if carrier also moved into the hostile sea zone and conducted combat.

The answer is easy: This argument of your friends is either a total misconception or just imagination. And the rulebook does not cover imagination but facts.

And the facts say (just an excerpt):

• Carriers move either in combat movement phase or in noncombat movement phase.

• Air units are the only units that can move in both movement phases.

• The carrier moving in combat movement phase moves without fighters (only allied fighters can be cargo).

• The carrier can of course attack enemy units in hostile seazones.

• Fighters move independently from carriers. Fighters that moved in combat movement phase can either attack in the same seazone as the carrier or conduct combat elsewhere.

• The fighters must have a valid landing space (to be demonstrated in the combat movement phase).

• The fighters always land in the noncombat movement phase. Even if they took all their movement during the combat movement phase they still land in the noncombat movement phase (on a valid landing space).

• The carrier that survived the sea battle is a valid landing space. The seazone is no longer hostile then.

HTH :-)

Please ask again if you need further assistance.

Edit:
    There is a situation in the Europe/Pacific/Global 1940 2nd edition, that your friends may have in mind:

Transport
    No Combat Value: Even though a transport can attack or defend, either alone or with other units, it has a combat value
    of 0. This means that a transport can’t fire in the attacking units’ or the defending units’ fire steps. Transports may
    not attack in a sea battle without being accompanied by at least 1 unit with an attack value.

In these editions the carrier (attack value 0 there) alone would not be sufficient joining (a transport!) in the attack. So in this case for example the fighters could join the attack to match the rule.

• Your answers was great, covered everything and was a big help, thank you.

• Anytime, you are welcome  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m