• So, what would you consider the best movies of each of the main genres (feel free to make up new genres if the ones I use below don’t encompass enough :P)? For me, I’ll say…

Drama: Donnie Darko

Comedy: The Princess Bride (in a close second would be Clue The Movie)

Action: The Matrix

Suspense: The Sixth Sense

Horror: The Ring

War: Patton (I’ll admit, I’ve hardly seen any war movies, but I think we can all agree this was a great one :D)

• OK, my turn…

Drama:  Taps

Comedy:  Airplane!  (and Monty Python ich den holy grailen)

Action:  Aliens (#2)

Suspense:  Alien (the original)

Horror:  Nightmare on Elm Street (the original… gave me nightmares.  Amityville Horror would be a clsoe seconde because it game me MANY nightmares, but that had a lot to do with having seen in in the theater when I was 7 or 8).

War:  Patton, Bridge on the River Kwai (toss-up)

• By far (nothing else is even in the same  ballpark)  the best movie ever is “Once upon a time in the west”……I give an honorable mention to “The Godfather”, and “Scarface”

• “Ferris Buellers Day Off” is the best movie ever.  You know why?  Cause im Abe Froman, The Sausage King of Chicago, bitch!  :-D

• Drama: A Few Good Men
    Comedy: Major League
    Action: The Hunt for Red October (if it counts)
    Suspense: Memento
    Sci-Fi: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
    Horror: Saw I
    War: The Thin Red Line

• I had not picked a sci-fi film,but have to agree with Yanny on that one.  Wrath of Khan is an AWESOME flick.  And Khan SHOULD have gotten the “Best Supporting Actor” Oscar that year…

• Damn, I forgot Memento; that was an awesome movie, I think it’ll have to tie with The Sixth Sense for my favorite suspense.

• Drama: Inn of the sixth happiness, Rounders, Ran
    Comedy: Friday after next, Dont be a menace ( while drinking your juice in the hood), the great dictator
    Action: Transporter (first 45 minutes), scarface, king of new york
    Suspense: Glen Gary, Glen Ross, Usual suspects
    Sci-Fi: Empire strikes back, Battlestar Galactica
    Horror: Destroy all Monsters
    War: Longest Day, Sparticus, Conspiracy
    Cartoon: anything with disney/warner brothers and Hitler made during world war two.

• @Imperious:

Drama: Inn of the sixth happiness, Rounders, Ran
    Comedy: Friday after next, Dont be a menace ( while drinking your juice in the hood), the great dictator
    Action: Transporter (first 45 minutes), scarface, king of new york
    Suspense: Glen Gary, Glen Ross, Usual suspects
    Sci-Fi: Empire strikes back, Battlestar Galactica
    Horror: Destroy all Monsters
    War: Longest Day, Sparticus, Conspiracy
    Cartoon: anything with disney/warner brothers and Hitler made during world war two.

That is by far the best list in this thread.  You my friend win.  :wink:

• Best movies ever, eh……

Drama: Heat

Comedy: Tenacious D “Pick of Destiny” I know its not out just yet but if it’s anything like the HBO show, it will rock.

Action: Desperado/ Once Upon a Time in Mexico

suspense: The Ninth Gate

Horror: Evil Dead/Dawn of the Dead-original one.

War: Platoon

• 2007 AAR League

Drama: Godfather 2

Comedy: Caddyshack

Action: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Suspense: Silence of the Lambs

Sci-Fi: The Empire Strikes Back is in a league all it’s own.

Horror: Halloween

War: Apocalypse Now

• 2007 AAR League

great pick with the great dictator.  i went to blockbuster, and of course they didnt have it.  oh TCM why wont you play it again?

The world, the world!

• @Wargaming_nut:

Drama: Donnie Darko

I wouldnt call Donnie Darko a drama.  It is however a good movie, but I think I would classify that movie under Sci-Fi.

• You know, I just realized that we are being a bit sexist in our movie choices…

Best Chick Flick:  Pretty Woman

Best tear-jerker:  Ghost

Best Lifetime Movie:  They are all the same.

:mrgreen:

• @ncscswitch:

You know, I just realized that we are being a bit sexist in our movie choices…

Best Chick Flick:  Pretty Woman

Best tear-jerker:  Ghost

Best Lifetime Movie:  They are all the same.

:mrgreen:

Yea Pretty Woman is a good choice but for tear-jerker Id have to say “A Walk to Remember.”  That was a very sad movie at the end.  :cry:

Actually for Chick Flick Id have to pick “When the boys are away, the girls will play.”  That movie is a really great Chick Flick……I kid I kid.  :lol:

• Don’t forget about “cool hand luke”!! Can you tell that I’m an old fart?

• @MADDOGG:

Don’t forget about “cool hand luke”!! Can you tell that I’m an old fart?

Ill have to say yea.  Like WTF is that?  :|

• Thats Paul Newman in his prime dude. Ever heard of him? Chicks use to really dig him. He had another very good movie called “the  hustler” , about a pool shark. Check out some of them old movies. Some are great classics!!

• @MADDOGG:

Thats Paul Newman in his prime dude. Ever heard of him? Chicks use to really dig him. He had another very good movie called “the  hustler” , about a pool shark. Check out some of them old movies. Some are great classics!!

Ohhhhhhh that guy!  Never seen any of his movies.  Ill have to check some out.  Anyways, I finally decided to stop being lazy so heres my list.

Drama:

Comedy: Snatch (you like dags?)

Action: Last Action Hero!!  I kid.  :lol:  Ill give this one to The Rock (Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery are the roxxors.)

Suspense: Fight Club (I dont know if this would classify under this but its a damn good movie.)

Sci-Fi: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

War: Stalingrad

Anime: Akira (made in the late 80’s, it was the best damn looking anime in its time.)

Adventure: Indiana Jones and at a very close second would come National Treasure.

• '19 Moderator

My lists of good movies change with time and mood here’s what I’ve got tonight:

Drama: Easy Rider (I love the ending)
    Comedy: Shawn of the Dead
    Action: Any of the Indiana Jones movies.  (Good action always has Nazis)
    Sci-Fi: Starship Troopers (All I gota say is: Bugs, Boobs and Nuclear RPGs…)
    Horror: The Hills Have Eyes Original (I saw it in the Drive in and had nitemares for years.)
    War: Saving Private Ryan (still the most realistic I think)
    Cartoon: Heavy Metal (Them cartoon chicks are hot!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m