• Founder TripleA Admin

I think there’s another issue. When TripleA “times out” connected to the forums, it doesn’t really timeout. It appears to continue connecting and actually successfully submits the upload. I’m guessing the file upload is taking longer than expected and the TripleA timeout isn’t long enough. This might be part of the “I’m done with TripleA but I get logged out randomly.”

I’m guessing it’s more like, I clicked Post Turn Summary 10 times and when to the site and got logged out 4-5 times.

Your fix should help but a longer timeout when help relieve the server a bit.

• As far as I can tell, the logout and posting error issues are independent.

The logout issue is just because the forum software now logs you out of all sessions when you log out of one session. This is easy to reproduce just by using two browsers on your computer. Since TripleA always includes a logout as the last step, you always get logged out of your browser when posting, regardless of whether the post succeeds or not.

The posting error is something else, and since it doesn’t happen every time it is probably somehow related to server load. Unfortunately it seems to be working right now when I try posting with the debugger active in TripleA, I’ll give it another try when I see issues posting a real game.

By the way, the forum seems to have an attachment size limit of 1 mb now and not 1.5 mb, so the text under the attachment button isn’t accurate.

• TripleA

Yeah, I think they are independent as well and the posting error isn’t consistent so hard to determine why it occurs. Increasing the timeout might not even help if its taking several minutes or if its something entirely different.

@bmnielson - I’d appreciate if you could test the changes I committed to make sure it resolves the logout issues.

• I’m always using the latest TripleA prerelease triplea.jar

With the new one (released 7 hours ago) I realise that when I use TripleA to post a move I will appear as being “Online” in the “Users Online”-list of the forum ( http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/ )

and - even worse - my status is “Online” when viewing my profile summary.

I mean this all happens by only using TripleA - without any further intention to use the forum at that moment (except posting a move of course).

Personally, I would prefer that TripleA and the forum software stay independent from each other. Is see no reason for an “Online status” when I am in fact offline from the forum.

A solution (starting from the current (latest) prerelease) could be to add an option such as “Post and stay logged in after posting” AND “Post and log out from the forum after posting”.

• @redrum:

Yeah, I think they are independent as well and the posting error isn’t consistent so hard to determine why it occurs. Increasing the timeout might not even help if its taking several minutes or if its something entirely different.

It is definitely independent. I noticed - when trying to post a move - that TripleA logged me in to the forum (I appeared as “Online”) but the error message (Timeout) occured nevertheless.

• TripleA

@P@nther - This is a somewhat different issue that is really a forum bug. The ‘users online’ list appears to check if you have any active sessions not if you have an active session for the given browser. So this issue isn’t just a TripleA issue and can be reproduced by doing the following:

1. Open Chrome and login to axisandallies.org
    2. Open Firefox and navigate to axisandallies.org and you’ll see that it shows you in the ‘users online’ but you can’t post since you aren’t logged in on Firefox

• Sure, I have understood the issue and fully agree. I see that this is a forum software issue.

I just wanted to point out the downside of the new (triplea.jar) modification:
    An unintended “online-status” when there was no intention for activity on the forum except posting the move through TripleA.

• TripleA

Fair enough. Though I’m guessing the vast majority of users stay logged in forever in the browser so won’t even notice. An option could be added as you described to allow the user to choose whether to login or logout after TripleA posts but I honestly don’t think hardly anyone would ever choose to logout.

• I agree. If it really bothers you, you can choose to use a separate account for posting from triplea, so at least the forum account won’t show up.

• @redrum:

Fair enough. Though I’m guessing the vast majority of users stay logged in forever in the browser so won’t even notice. An option could be added as you described to allow the user to choose whether to login or logout after TripleA posts but I honestly don’t think hardly anyone would ever choose to logout.

Maybe. And not everyone would probably realize that they were logged (and kept in) to the forum by TripleA.

• Customizer

@djensen:

I don’t have a fix on the forum side. Hopefully a fix on the TripleA side will work.

Why is it not possible to fix the forum side?

The bug isn’t really triplea related, since you can easily reproduce the bug using just 2 browsers….

• Founder TripleA Admin

Not to be glib but if you want to dig through the spaghetti code that is SMF and build a mod (as in modification no module) that won’t break everything else, please do so.

I’ve dug into the innards of SMF before spent hours on issues only to get basically nowhere, realizing that if I touch “that code right there” to fix the issue, everything else come crumbling down.

• What version of SMF was running on the old site? I can try doing a quick diff to see if anything’s changed in the logout module.

• Realized just after my post that I could just check an archive.org snapshot of the forum. Looks like it went from 1.1.16 to 1.1.21. To spaghetti land I go…

• Luckily not much was changed so it was pretty easy to track it down.

In 1.1.19 they added some code in LogInOut.php that changes the users password salt whenever you log out. When you switch to another browser, the hash matching fails since it was generated with a different salt, and you get logged out.

The offending code is at lines 463-464. I have no idea how to make a modification for SMF but I guess you could just try commenting out those lines to start with, to see if it works.

The call to session_destroy() on line 462 is also added in that change, but I would expect that is independent for each browser session so I don’t think that’s causing any issues.

• Founder TripleA Admin

bmnielsen, you rock!

I just get angry when I look at SMF code.  :wink:

I’ll see what I can do but it seems like this might be a security fix/hack.

• Yeah, I thought of that as well. The changelog just says “Sessions weren’t always cleaned up properly on logout” though, which doesn’t really indicate a security issue. I’m thinking that adding the session_destroy was the important thing for that.

• TripleA

Update? Were you able to fix everything on the forum side? Should I revert the changes I made to TripleA to remove the logout step?

• Founder TripleA Admin

No. I’m not going to have time to touch anything until after GenCon.

• TripleA

Alright, well we are planning to release the next stable version of TripleA shortly. Did you want me to release the change to remove axisandallies.org session logout when posting games?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m