• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Would be more useful for strafes.  Inf + Art vs defending Inf, the Art can fire from the adjacent territory and so if the attacker does win, they may not take the territory (defender/attacker would be wiped out.)  Germany with a larger economy might be able to do this in an effort to weaken the Russians.  In turn, this could free up aircraft to protect Europe since you won’t need them for this type of attacks farther inland.

Remember, the artillery would be allowed to move in or chose to fire indirectly.  Attacker would have the choice either way as he or she sees fit.

• Sponsor

Seeing as Tokyo Express and Dug in Defenders have been combined to chalange Long Lance torpedos… here are modifications to the last Japanese strategic advantage pairing, after dug in defenders was removed. I looked at Lightning assaults, but I didn’t like it.

9A - Banzai Attack
    All Japanese Infantry and mechanized infantry units now attack @2 or less (but not 3 when supported by artillery).

or

9B - Kaiten Torpedos
    During the first round of their resolve combat phase (attack or defense), Japan will score an automatic hit to an enemy surface warship of their choice.

This seems like a situational decision, but if you have a need for both… which might you choose?

Could limit Banzai to first round of combat only…so as not to make them overly powerful and negate the need for Japan to purchase and transport artillery altogether.

Maybe give the US Marines that are the similar - attack at 2 for the first round of any amphibious assault.

Limit both Japan’s and America’s special infantry attacks to the Pacific theater?

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Could limit Banzai to first round of combat only…so as not to make them overly powerful and negate the need for Japan to purchase and transport artillery altogether.

Maybe give the US Marines that are the similar - attack at 2 for the first round of any amphibious assault.

Limit both Japan’s and America’s special infantry attacks to the Pacific theater?

Thanks for the feedback Cmdr Jennifer,

I don’t have an advantage for the US Marines, I’m quite happy with all 4 American strategic advantages, and their progressive advantage. As for Banzai attacks, don’t you think if it’s limited to the first combat round only, that the Japan player will take Kaiten Torpedos 100% of the time? I understand what your saying about taking away the need to buy and transport artillery, but to be honest… artillery aren’t getting purchased by Japan anyways (at least not in our games). After the 3 minor factories get built on the mainland by turn 5, Japan cranks out mechs and tanks supported be their massive air force, the only Japanese artillery I see throughout the game are the 7 that are in the setup. I know Banzai Attack is an overpowering advantage but so is Kaiten Torpedos, and at round 9, it may not even mater, the question is… does one get chosen over the other 90-100% of the time?

• If only there was an online version of G40 that was customizable for all of us to play.  That would make play testing something like this much more effective.  I’m stating something that everyone’s aware of already, but I just like to put it out there.  That would allow several different play styles to come together, which would make the process of refining these projects go much faster.

From what I read, everyone seems to have some sort of strategy they’ve adopted and stick to, which they deviate a little bit from game to game with no drastic core changes.

I’ll try to put this into perspective a little bit.  In the games that I play with the group I meet up with (which are G40 and the big GW39 variant), Japan pretty much evacuates China immediately, because the Japanese have no actual real incentive to fight the Chinese, forcing the Chinese to literally become completely irrelevant to the whole war.  There’s no bonus in the OOB rules to conquer China, and there’s enough cities out there to make up for Hong Kong and Shanghai.  No factories ever get built in China.  The real target is the Commonwealth in our games.   China is just a distraction, period.  Even with that bonus 5 Delta gives for wiping out China, the Japanese SAs actually have great potential of being well balanced by isolating China.  That’s just a small example of how things differ from group to group, game to game.  Another one too would be that I never do the Taranto raid UK1 (for my own reasons, of course), which might have a factor in a development in some undetermined way of some other HR that some other guy is developing.  Just speaking hypothetically here about these scenarios.  I’ll repeat myself here: the more scenarios you can base your judgement on for making these rules (providing the scenarios are preferable and good ones, overall), the better you can refine them.

About the banzai attacks being on the 1st round of combat only, I wouldn’t play the game with that rule in place.  I like it to be recurring as it stands now with the rest of the advantages.

As for the German artillery having pre-emptive shots from a long way away, that duty was actually given to rail guns.  You know those ridiculously huge guns that you could barely operate? :p  I have them for GW39, they work good for that.  I think a separate unit would be necessary for this kind of thing.  I realize that won’t work for this project though, so I’m not sure how else to approach that.

• Sponsor

ATTENTION!

Delta is complete, any future modifications to these house rules will only be considered if based on play test results.

Thank you.

• Customizer

YG,
    I just got done printing up your first post. A lot of really neat ideas to try out. I have a couple of questions about the Progressive Advantages. Sorry if I missed this in some earlier post.

1 > Japan and United States advantages are marked R8 and R6 respectively. None of the others have an R#. Does this mean that even if Japan or the US reach 20 points earlier, Japan can not use the Kamikaze Honor until round 8 and the US can not use the Manhattan Project until round 6 at the earliest?

2 > When the Japan Kamikaze tokens get reloaded to 6, that is it for the rest of the game, right? OR, and I know this would be a long game, could Japan keep rolling their dice each round, get another 20 points and get 6 new Kamikaze tokens?

3 > Russian Winter. Is this a one-time advantage or do they get to do this every round?

Everything else seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Thanks for your time.

• Every SA is one time only, so Russia wont have the coldest winter every year and Japan Kamikazes won’t keep reappearing. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

YG,
    I just got done printing up your first post. A lot of really neat ideas to try out. I have a couple of questions about the Progressive Advantages. Sorry if I missed this in some earlier post.

1 > Japan and United States advantages are marked R8 and R6 respectively. None of the others have an R#. Does this mean that even if Japan or the US reach 20 points earlier, Japan can not use the Kamikaze Honor until round 8 and the US can not use the Manhattan Project until round 6 at the earliest?

Those were a type-o and have since been removed, thanks for pointing them out

2 > When the Japan Kamikaze tokens get reloaded to 6, that is it for the rest of the game, right? OR, and I know this would be a long game, could Japan keep rolling their dice each round, get another 20 points and get 6 new Kamikaze tokens?

One reload per game

3 > Russian Winter. Is this a one-time advantage or do they get to do this every round?

One time immediately when reaching 20 progress points

Everything else seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Thanks for your time.

Thank you for your time as well KNP

• Sponsor

@mattsk:

Every SA is one time only, so Russia wont have the coldest winter every year and Japan Kamikazes won’t keep reappearing. Correct me if I’m wrong.

You are correct Mattsk, however, “Russian Winter” and “Kamikaze Honor” are PAs, not SAs  :roll:

• Sponsor

For anyone who wishes to see how much work has been done over the past week can compare post #1, with reply #12 (I’m glad now that Commander Brado didn’t delete that quote).

@Young:

ATTENTION!

Delta is complete, any future modifications to these house rules will only be considered if based on play test results.

Thank you.

May I just say this seems a bit hostile in nature?  I am sure you did not mean for it to sound that way.

And I’d be glad to try and test play it with you - via the board forums.  Uhm, but if you would like, may I ask that we wait until after America’s Birthday Party?

• I didn’t have a chance to test this project over the weekend, busy life and all…  I’m going to try as soon as possible though, hopefully within the next couple weekends.  There are a few different things that I’m going to differently however, because we have our own house rules and preferences.  Hopefully they don’t differ too much from everyone else’s, I’d like my results to be considerable for this.

• Ottawa will be considered a capital city because Canada is its own playable nation, having its turn between Russia and Japan.  I’ll just use the NOs I created for them in this case.

• All available aircraft are allowed to scramble from territories containing the Nation’s capital adjacent to sea zones.  This isn’t to be misconstrued with being able to do this with enemy capitals, this is only meant for the controlling power’s capital.

• Sea units are no longer able to act as “blockers”.  Once the sea zone is cleared, the remaining forces that didn’t engage in the fight may proceed.  We have our reasons for putting this one in, no point in explaining it in this thread…

• Neutral countries are politically divided by continents, nullifying the effect of neutral countries turning pro one side if another is attacked on another continent.  There are also rules for certain individual countries to turn pro one side by having certain conditions met.  Argentina starts as pro-axis.

• The Commonwealth Aid SA will be changed because of Canada being in the game.  I’ll just switch the factory originally intended for Canada to Egypt.  Hope this isn’t too big of a deal…  I’ll see if that’s viable at all or not.  If it isn’t, I’ll just use that SA for South Africa only and call it good.  Canada will also be able to participate in the Around the Clock bombing SA, since it uses some of the IPC’s originally intended for the U.K. anyway.

• And lastly, I think we’ll be removing the immunity from AA fire for the Boeing Fortresses, because I can see my axis playing friends having a problem with that.  I don’t disagree with it personally, but we’ll see how it goes.  I’m on the Allied side over 90% of the time lol.

That’s it for now on my part.  I’ll write back here when we can get this game started and finished up, hopefully sooner than later.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

ATTENTION!

Thank you.

May I just say this seems a bit hostile in nature? I am sure you did not mean for it to sound that way.

And I’d be glad to try and test play it with you - via the board forums. Uhm, but if you would like, may I ask that we wait until after America’s Birthday Party?

I suppose I should have been more specific, what I meant to say is… I need to start designing the card deck immediately in order for it to arrive in time for the FMG convention in September. I would be more than willing to design a 2nd edition Delta house rule card deck after the convention if significant editing is required, this gives us almost 3 months of play testing to find out if modifications and a 2nd edition is even necessary. I appreciate your offer to play me via the forums, however, I am strictly a table top player with at least 4X 10 hour games scheduled every month, besides… its very uncertain if this house rule set can be translated and used in trippleA or play by forum.

• Sponsor

@Ben_D:

I didn’t have a chance to test this project over the weekend, busy life and all…  I’m going to try as soon as possible though, hopefully within the next couple weekends.  There are a few different things that I’m going to differently however, because we have our own house rules and preferences.  Hopefully they don’t differ too much from everyone else’s, I’d like my results to be considerable for this.

• Ottawa will be considered a capital city because Canada is its own playable nation, having its turn between Russia and Japan.  I’ll just use the NOs I created for them in this case.

• All available aircraft are allowed to scramble from territories containing the Nation’s capital adjacent to sea zones.  This isn’t to be misconstrued with being able to do this with enemy capitals, this is only meant for the controlling power’s capital.

• Sea units are no longer able to act as “blockers”.  Once the sea zone is cleared, the remaining forces that didn’t engage in the fight may proceed.  We have our reasons for putting this one in, no point in explaining it in this thread…

• Neutral countries are politically divided by continents, nullifying the effect of neutral countries turning pro one side if another is attacked on another continent.  There are also rules for certain individual countries to turn pro one side by having certain conditions met.  Argentina starts as pro-axis.

• The Commonwealth Aid SA will be changed because of Canada being in the game.  I’ll just switch the factory originally intended for Canada to Egypt.  Hope this isn’t too big of a deal…  I’ll see if that’s viable at all or not.  If it isn’t, I’ll just use that SA for South Africa only and call it good.  Canada will also be able to participate in the Around the Clock bombing SA, since it uses some of the IPC’s originally intended for the U.K. anyway.

• And lastly, I think we’ll be removing the immunity from AA fire for the Boeing Fortresses, because I can see my axis playing friends having a problem with that.  I don’t disagree with it personally, but we’ll see how it goes.  I’m on the Allied side over 90% of the time lol.

That’s it for now on my part.  I’ll write back here when we can get this game started and finished up, hopefully sooner than later.

Absolutely Ben_D, house rule what ever you need for it to fit your games, please let me know over the course of the summer which pairings are unbalanced, and which advantages are to strong in your games.

• @Ben_D:

Out of curiosity, what sculpts do you use for Canada?  One approach (if you own the first edition of Global) is to use the first edition’s butternut-grey British-pattern ANZAC pieces for Canada, and to use the second edition’s  butternut-grey ANZAC-pattern pieces for ANZAC.  The only adjustment that needs to be made is to assign a few of the second edition’s ANZAC AAA pieces to Canada, since the first edition had no such sculpts.

• CWO Marc,

That’s exactly what I do.  AA guns are pulled out from anniversary edition for Canada.  Works pretty good :) .

• @Ben_D:

That’s exactly what I do.  AA guns are pulled out from anniversary edition for Canada.  Works pretty good.

Excellent.  That’s the nice thing about so many A&A games having been published over the years: they provide a whole bunch of sculpts that are handy for filling in these kinds of gaps.

• Sponsor

Didn’t like working in artscow when trying to design some cards tonight, I’m not familiar with it and it’s taking to much time learning the site. Decided instead to work with a program I know like illustrator, and I got 4 cards done in just a couple hours, here’s a taste of what the final cards might look like…

• Sponsor

Japan - Banzai Attacks

photo-10.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m