Axis & Allies Global 1942 Section. (Link posted for setup)

• Sponsor

@oztea:

The duel setups in the Anniversary edition was one of the best things Larry ever did

Agreed!

• G42 setup linked in the first post calls for BOTH Italian units AND French units in TUNISIA.

Which is correct?

• Anybody? Looking to start playing tomorrow morning and would like to clear up this confusion beforehand.

Surely some of you have played the G42 setup.

• The Second Edition revisions that P@nther linked clear this up, Italy controls Tunisia and there are no French units there.

Global 1942 2nd Edition Setup
    Linked again for good measure.

• Thanks Colonel,
    I somehow missed Panther’s post.  Appears that the turn order has also changed.

• Customizer

Hey guys, if you ever wondered what the original setups looked like with the units stacked up next to each other, well wonder no more.
    First I have the land and air units for the 1940 Global setup.
    Next are the land and air units for the 1942 Global setup.
    Overall, it doesn’t seem to be much of a change between the two setups. Most of the nations seem to lose some infantry except for the US which gained. Also, while UK lost planes, the US seems to have gained some. The Axis seems to be almost the same. Germany and Japan have more fighters but less bombers.
    One big change is German armor. Germany has a stupid amount of tanks. They have more tanks (16) than all the other countries combined (15), including the other Axis nations.

By the way, as for the chips:
    Yellow = 20
    Blue = 10
    Red = 5
    White = 1

1940 land.JPG
    1942 land.JPG

• Customizer

Here are pics of the naval forces from the 1940 setup and then the 1942 setup.
    Japan is almost the same. Italy’s navy is severely depleted. The Royal Navy is really cut down but the US Navy seems to have grown.
    I wonder what would be the outcome of one big huge naval battle: All Axis vs. All Allies

1940 sea.JPG
    1942 sea.JPG

• Customizer

@knp. thank goodness for our resident quartermasters on the boards +1.

• Great stuff KNP!

Strategy wise, I am really unsure how Germany is supposed to get any momentum against Russia in this game. They can be wiped out of Russia R1 (except for E. Poland and Bessarabia) and then have next to nothing left. I am only one turn into a test game, but wow, it looks quite grim for Germany after just 1 turn.

• Sponsor

Great Stuff KNP (as always).

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Great stuff KNP!

Strategy wise, I am really unsure how Germany is supposed to get any momentum against Russia in this game. They can be wiped out of Russia R1 (except for E. Poland and Bessarabia) and then have next to nothing left. I am only one turn into a test game, but wow, it looks quite grim for Germany after just 1 turn.

I thought that the Germans might be under powered too. They get their teeth kicked in the first round, but start to rebound after that (tanks from W Europe). The Germans can mount a pretty good come back around turn 3, but seem to get bogged down again soon after as the Russians also get stronger (hard to drop Russian income, and they can get Iraq for extra bonus). Pressure from the US in Europe will also take its toll. I think Japan can make its presence felt in the Mid East, and on Russia’s back door though, so taking on Moscow looks to be a coordinated effort (much depends on where the US plays).

• Customizer

WILD BILL, vonLettow,
    I agree with both of you guys. With Russia going first and the setup the way it stands, Germany really doesn’t stand a chance in Russia. I’ve tried this game a couple of times now, and both times Germany gets wiped out in Russia (Ukraine, W Ukraine, Smolensk, Belarus and Baltic States). Plus, Russia is strong enough that they can keep up the pressure or at least keep Germany out of Russia for most of the rest of the game.
    In our last game of Global 1942, Russia actually took Berlin in round 3 or 4. Germany was able to take back Berlin and kick the Russians out of E Europe, but that gave Russia a LOT of money to spend and they were able to get a lot of really nice equipment (planes, tanks) that in most games of Global 40 they can’t afford to get. Germany had a lot of problems keeping the Russians back and fighting the Brits too. I don’t think there is a real chance of an Axis victory on the Europe side.
    Japan had a decent chance as they were spread out all over the Pacific and Asia and China and Russia were very weak. Even with their higher income, they couldn’t keep up with the US Navy and eventually got cornered on their island.
    Once that happened, the US went full tilt toward Europe and whatever small gains the Axis were able to make there soon disappeared.

• We played this weekend and Japan won, I believe on turn 6.  USA went KGF with little to nothing in the Pacific and Japan ran wild taking almost all of China and then India on turn 5.  Moscow stacked infantry and also had an armor stack rolling through south west Europe.  USA took Italy down but it was too late as Japan took Hawaii.

Next time more attention to the pacific.  Either more $ into the USA fleet in order to challenge Japan’s massive fleet or Persian factory to reinforce India.

• I have not won as the Axis as yet, but should this game be seen as more of a tournament set up and the Axis given a timer victory instead?
    I find it fun and do not see it as a must to win as the Axis, only a different perspective and possibly historical ending. (?)
    Perhaps the Japanese should lose 3 units and the Germans be given 3 in exchange.

I hope, incidentally,  all are  playing with the amended Sub set up as suggested by Krieghund.
    I mean moving one German Sub to a different SZ, so one of the two survives.

• We should also play without the stupid Russian NO of Spread of Communism including Africa.
    This is a ludicrous extension of the NO.
    Stick to European territories.

• @wittmann:

I have not won as the Axis as yet, but should this game be seen as more of a tournament set up and the Axis given a timer victory instead?
    I find it fun and do not see it as a must to win as the Axis, only a different perspective and possibly historical ending. (?)
    Perhaps the Japanese should lose 3 units and the Germans be given 3 in exchange.

I hope, incidentally,  all are  playing with the amended Sub set up as suggested by Krieghund.
    I mean moving one German Sub to a different SZ, so one of the two survives.

Where did Krieghund post that suggestion?

• Panther asked me the same question last week.
    Is on Larry’s own site: Harris Game Design. Was probably 3 or 4 months ago.
    Cannot be more precise. Panther found it and posted a link. (I am not very good at that!).

• The move of the sub (one of them from SZ97 to SZ103) was suggested by Krieghund, here’s the link: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=66021#p66021

I have one question: are USSR at war with Japan and/or vice versa? Thanks…

• Si Sergente. Tutti i paesi sono in guerra.

• That said, the special Mongolia rules still apply.

If Japan attacks a Russian territory bordering Mongolia, the 6 Mongolian Inf become Russian.
    Or if Russia attacks a Japanese controlled territory, the Mongolians can never become Russian(unless Mongolia itself is attacked, of course
    And the Allied player chooses to make them Russian).

Have you tried playing? It makes a refreshing change. A few of us play team games here on AAA.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m