• The US sails its fleet of two ships to Trieste or Kiel or Berlin arriving on T3.
    They do not roll for mines.(I am sure Krieg said they are immune before they are at war.)
    On T3 or 4 Russia and France suicide themselves against a reasonable German fleet, so UK can finish them off (or Russia, France and UK against the Austrian fleet).

On T6 US sail their 6 TTs into the minefield (incurring possible losses)and the battleship gets a Bombardment without rolling for mines.  Doesn’t it?

Is this correct or would the Battleship which sailed into Trieste whilst Neutral, have to now roll to avoid the mines before it can bombard?

Reading the short paragraph on Minefields would suggest that mines are not rolled.
    If so,  then I should have DW on the US on my G3.

• The way I have interpreted it, you roll for mines only when you enter a sea zone, so the battleship wouldn’t have to roll for the mines.

• Customizer

I don’t think Germany can declare war; it can only announce USW.

However I assume that America “enters the war” at the moment it loses some income to USW, which is when it collects income at the end of its turn, so Germany would gain nothing from the minefields.

But it again goes to show that the US fleet shouldn’t be allowed to leave home waters before declaring war. In fact the US shouldn’t be able to do anything on turns 1-3. In fact it shouldn’t have a turn 1, 2 or 3.

• I am with you, Flashman.
    A sleepy, isolationist, US is what I desire.

• House rule that US can build but not move until at war makes sense to me

• I hear you Tralis. Unfortunately, my best friend loves to win(hates to lose actually) and he plays the Allies and would not agree.
    We play OOB rules.

• @Flashman:

I don’t think Germany can declare war; it can only announce USW.

However I assume that America “enters the war” at the moment it loses some income to USW, which is when it collects income at the end of its turn, so Germany would gain nothing from the minefields.

But it again goes to show that the US fleet shouldn’t be allowed to leave home waters before declaring war. In fact the US shouldn’t be able to do anything on turns 1-3. In fact it shouldn’t have a turn 1, 2 or 3.

Why couldn’t the US send warships on deployment?  Did they not leave port until 1918?  Did they never run drills at sea?  I don’t see why they couldn’t go on a tour of Europe ;-)

• Customizer

MONROE DOCTRINE

Bully Mexico and Haiti all you want, but stay out of our hemisphere.

• BJCard; it is just a little convenient that the US navy find itself on the other side of the Austrian minefields or German ones just before they DW.
    I would accept Mid Atlantic, not coastal Europe.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_Fleet

Navies do go on deployment.

I joined the US Navy to ‘see the world,’ I bet many sailors had that as one of their reasons back in the early 1900’s.  Why couldn’t they make a port call in Plymouth or Marseilles? Rome? Rota? heck, Cape Town?  How about Liberia- it is essentially an American colony at this time- are you saying American ships can’t go there too?

Can you game it?  Sure I suppose, but perhaps limit the movement of American ships so they cannot enter CP minefields?

• It was announced on the FAQ that USA can’t load transports until turn 4. So why would you even want to take your Warships out of port?

• Hi Siris:  My point was that the US can sneak past the mines while at peace and if their TTs make it through them on T6, bombard without having been subject to a mine attack.
    That was all. Wanted confirmation that they did not need to survive a round of mines, before bombardment.
    I think I knew the answer. Wanted to be sure.

As to taking fhe US ships out of port, in the game I played the Germans could not get its  Subs to survive  one round in the open, because of the preponderance of Allied ships.
    Why not sail the US ones away if the Germans cannot get past the UK?
    The US does not need to protect them in this case.

• @Siris101:

It was announced on the FAQ that USA can’t load transports until turn 4. So why would you even want to take your Warships out of port?

I’d rather my US fleet in the Med or North Atlantic on a friendly ‘port call.’

• @wittmann:

Hi Siris:  My point was that the US can sneak past the mines while at peace and if their TTs make it through them on T6, bombard without having been subject to a mine attack.
    That was all. Wanted confirmation that they did not need to survive a round of mines, before bombardment.
    I think I knew the answer. Wanted to be sure.

As to taking fhe US ships out of port, in the game I played the Germans could not get its  Subs to survive  one round in the open, because of the preponderance of Allied ships.
    Why not sail the US ones away if the Germans cannot get past the UK?
    The US does not need to protect them in this case.

The US transports would be susceptible to the mines since they are moving into the mined seazone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m