• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

As discussed in another thread.  We played a 15 hour game on saturday! Which was epic in proportions other than the chinsy ending (we had played through until 5am… we had to go for the throat), and a few regulatory hiccups.

Assuming Russia attacks finland… and Germany and Russia are not at war.

Question #1:
    Can the Finnish Destroyer be attacked by Russia?

Question #2:
    Can the Germans amphibiously assault Finish territory?

Question #3:
    Can German transports bringing in troops be attacked by russia? in the same sea zones as the destroyer? (this was the point of contention).

Question #4:
    Can Germany use it’s air power to protect fins and attack Russians in Finnish territory?

Question #5:
    Can Germany Paradrop and attack/take empty Finnish territory under russian control?

Question #6:
    Can German aircraft or navy attack the Russian destroyer off of finland? If so, can Russia also attack German ships in the same zones?

Question #7:
    If Finland’s capital is captured, can Germany liberate the capital (whilst still not at war with Russia)?

Perhaps the 2 seazones that touch finland should be considered “zones of contest”, that Germans and Russians can fight over.  Unless the spirit of the Winter War rules, is to only allow German reinforcements to arrive.

• What turn is Russia taking Finland?

Because if Russia does not take Finland by the end of turn 1 it becomes a minor axis power and Germany can move in.

Well it’s physically IMPOSSIBLE to take Helsinki turn 1 with Russia.

So the germans can reinforce it.  But the question is about that process, can air power be used, can amphibious assaults be used, etc etc.

• Good point about Helsinki.  Russia cannot take it turn one so I don’t understand the rule about Finland becoming a minor axis if it doesn’t fall to Russia turn one since it could never fall to Russia turn one.

However that being said
    My understanding of the rule is Germany can only move troops into Finland/axis minor territories to help defend not retake areas lost to Russia.

I think part of the problem with these rules is the people who wrote them understand how it is supposed to be played and everything is clear to them just not the rest of us.  Not saying the rules are bad, just confusing to the rest of us.

@americancyco:

Good point about Helsinki.  Russia cannot take it turn one so I don’t understand the rule about Finland becoming a minor axis if it doesn’t fall to Russia turn one since it could never fall to Russia turn one.

However that being said
    My understanding of the rule is Germany can only move troops into Finland/axis minor territories to help defend not retake areas lost to Russia.

I think part of the problem with these rules is the people who wrote them understand how it is supposed to be played and everything is clear to them just not the rest of us.  Not saying the rules are bad, just confusing to the rest of us.

I agree,

They have their own way of doing things, that they are used to.  But it’s not communicated to us! Yet

• '14

’ If German troops are already in Finland, Russia can attack any territory in Finland without declaring war on Germany. This rule allows Germany and Russia to fight over Finland without declaring war on each other. ’

What is meant by this is Germany, Finland, and Russia can fight ….Land, Sea, and Air over Finnish territories and sea zones with out officially being at war. Axis do not liberate but Germany could , by rule, amphib assault Finland to take it back without declaring war! Because It would be a battle in Finnish sea zones and territories. Now if the Axis player so chooses to liberate Finland then thats up to them!!

@Tigerman77:

’ If German troops are already in Finland, Russia can attack any territory in Finland without declaring war on Germany. This rule allows Germany and Russia to fight over Finland without declaring war on each other. ’

What is meant by this is Germany, Finland, and Russia can fight ….Land, Sea, and Air over Finnish territories and sea zones with out officially being at war. Axis do not liberate but Germany could , by rule, amphib assault Finland to take it back without declaring war! Because It would be a battle in Finnish sea zones and territories. Now if the Axis player so chooses to liberate Finland then thats up to them!!

Ok, so that’s fair.  But if the Russian destroyer is in the sea zone, preventing the amphibious assault, then the Germans have to attack it!

Fair enough!

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I certainly like the way Tigerman spells it out better than just getting hammered by the Soviets without being able to strike back.

Well my next question becomes… can Russian Navy attack Germany navy anywhere in the atlantic then?  Or atleast if they are -in range- of Finland?

Because those units -could- be used to attack Russian held finnish territories.

Example, the Germans build an ACC on the first turn, but don’t land planes on it, and the Russian have a chance to destroy it.  Are they allowed to?

Perhaps we should limit the contest to certain sea zones…  Because now strategic bombing also opens up questions.

• '14

Sea zones connected to Finland!  If Russia attacked the ACC off the coast of Berlin it woul be a formal declaration of war.

That’s perfect Tigerman!  Exactly what I wanted to know.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m