• Gas attacks might be (or should be) something like roll a die for each unit in the gas attacked area each time you roll a one the unit is destroyed. Something akin to how aircraft worked in D-Day. But you’re rollling for your own units also.

• @Flashman:

See this on gas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsfvJyymjw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Note also from this prog:

Importance of observation balloons.

Tanks were useless in defence.

Really, we need at least 10 tech units (remember this isn’t Risk):

Gas (as a 3rd type of shell)
    Anti-Aircraft battery
    Armoured trains

Light tanks (FT17)
    Medium tanks (Whippet)
    Heavy tanks (M series)

Pursuit aircraft (3-3) (Eindekker, Nieuport, DH2)
    Fighter aircraft (4-4) (Albatross, Sopwith, Spad)
    Medium bombers (Breugeot)
    Heavy bombers (H-P O series, Gotha)

Aircraft carrier (Furious)

3 different kinds of tanks? 2 different kinds of fighters? 2 different kinds of bombers? You do know this is Axis and Allies the board game. Not Axis and Allies minis.

• In this instance I am prepared to say that, WWLD can be easily answered with the statement “making a shameless cash in at the opportune moment”. I hate to sound bitter, but it is clear that Larry neither understands nor respects the subject matter he is dealing with. WOTC would like him to make a big sack of money form them and saw an opportunity. Us historians and students of the period are noting but a bunch of insignificant gnats buzzing in the ear of a giant who can drown us out by stuffing more of the money it’s going to make of this title in its ear.

But people play these games, like you.

So to gain maximum ascendancy of these ideas, they have to bear the look of something that would already be in the game. People don’t want frigidity rules and will not play them if offered. Whatever the solution is it must “look” like a Larry rule.

WOTC is truly a joke business and they will go under eventually, but in the meantime that’s all we can deal with.

• @Yavid:

Gas attacks might be (or should be) something like roll a die for each unit in the gas attacked area each time you roll a one the unit is destroyed. Something akin to how aircraft worked in D-Day. But you’re rollling for your own units also.

this is of course if there is a stack limit in the game

• Looking at statistics from gas attacks, it seems that as killing agents they were ineffective, but as demoralizing tools they were more effective. Thus to me it makes more sense to have gas reduce defense of infantry than it does to kill them. Even though both happened of course, the latter was much less common.

• Customizer

3 different kinds of tanks? 2 different kinds of fighters? 2 different kinds of bombers? You do know this is Axis and Allies the board game. Not Axis and Allies minis.

British heavy and French light tanks were completely different vehicles with different roles.

There was a constant arms race in the air, with supremacy changing several times as opposing sides introduced new and better aircraft designs.

How can you have no bombers in the game? This is the perfect definition of a tech - an effective new type of unit introduced about halfway through the conflict.

OK, I was going a little too far (I want loads of cool aircraft minis). To cut it down to 6 (why is 6 such a sacred number - is it the number of The Lord Larry?)

1. Gas shells

2. Tanks (in this case it would have to be the British and German heavies, ignoring the French FT17 light model that was produced in greater numbers than all the other types put together)

3. Anti-Aircraft guns

4. Bombers

5. At least one more type of aircraft. This depends on which is represented initially; but there should be a “reconnaissance” type (2 seater, long-range, poorly armed) and a fighter type (1 seater, short-range, armed with ffsmgs). The Rec planes should be the starting units, the first effective fighters introduced in 1915 (Fokker Scourge) being the tech.

6. Rail Guns

I don’t see that forts are techs - there were plenty around in 1914. I’m assuming that places like Galicia, Belgium and Eastern France would have them at setup.

• @Flashman:

British heavy and French light tanks were completely different vehicles with different roles.

There was a constant arms race in the air, with supremacy changing several times as opposing sides introduced new and better aircraft designs.

The same thing can be said about WW2 but still each power only gets 1 fighter

@Flashman:

How can you have no bombers in the game? This is the perfect definition of a tech - an effective new type of unit introduced about halfway through the conflict.

Samething can be said of Jet Fighters and no special unit for them either. I personally believe that A&A should do an expansion pack with Tech Units in them such as Jet Fighters and Heavy Tanks, but that’s another conversation.

@Flashman:

1. Gas shells

Axis and Allies has never had a unit anything like you purpose here.

@Flashman:

2. Tanks (in this case it would have to be the British and German heavies, ignoring the French FT17 light model that was produced in greater numbers than all the other types put together)
    [/qoute]

Axis and Allies also ignores that Japanese tanks were nothing when compared to the T-34 or the Panther but they get the same stats. So again speaking from an A&A perpective there is no need to have them as different. (I personally believe there should be heavy tanks)

• Customizer

“Axis and Allies has never had a unit anything like you purpose here.”

That’s because gas wasn’t used in WWII, at least not in combat. Different war, different rules.

• @Flashman:

That’s because gas wasn’t used in WWII, at least not in combat. Different war, different rules.

V-1s and V-2s could have been in Axis and Allies and used like your gas shells and they didn’t make the cut either

• I see a lot of posts in this thread and others saying that “this is axis & allies, not <name a=”" game=“”>."

I think we have to remember that Tactical Bombers and scrambling and combat air patrol and major and minor factories and tech tokens and cruisers and NO’s and NA’s and submerging, and on and on were not always in the game. What counts as Axis & Allies is always changing.</name>

• Tactical Bombers and scrambling and combat air patrol and major and minor factories and tech tokens and cruisers and NO’s and NA’s and submerging…

None of this is world in flames.

World in Flames is where you got uber detailed rules that add nothing to the fun factor of the game. All they do is get in the way of a good gaming experience.

Chrome rules that add detail , but nothing else are not axis and allies.

• @Imperious:

World in Flames is where you got uber detailed rules that add nothing to the fun factor of the game. All they do is get in the way of a good gaming experience.

I totally agree, and after all this years its nice to see that the King of complicated houserules finally understand the consept of Axis & Allies  :-D

• @Imperious:

Tactical Bombers and scrambling and combat air patrol and major and minor factories and tech tokens and cruisers and NO’s and NA’s and submerging…

None of this is world in flames.

Also Agree some of the rules in WiF are just insane,we did however borrow some stuff from it to pimp up A&A Global
    Vichy France mainly.

• Customizer

Well, it has rockets as a tech. Where Larry got the idea of firing rockets from AA guns I’ll never know; clearly they should have been stand-alone units fired from wherever you like.

@Yavid:

@Flashman:

V-1s and V-2s could have been in Axis and Allies and used like your gas shells and they didn’t make the cut either

• @Flashman:

Well, it has rockets as a tech. Where Larry got the idea of firing rockets from AA guns I’ll never know; clearly they should have been stand-alone units fired from wherever you like.

@Yavid:

@Flashman:

that goes back to Axis and Allies should have an expansion so V-1 and V-2s could be a tech unit

• You want gas attacks???  Just fart at your opponent while playing.  There’s your gas attacks.  Don’t forget to wear a mask.

• You want gas attacks???  Just fart at your opponent while playing.  There’s your gas attacks.  Don’t forget to wear a mask.

Thanks for that contribution. That should solve it.

• @questioneer:

You want gas attacks???  Just fart at your opponent while playing.  There’s your gas attacks.  Don’t forget to wear a mask.

So just SOP for our group :evil:

• This topic was not revisited for some time, I am sorry if it was discussed elsewhere. Here’s a game mechanic suggestion to keep it simple:

1. No need for a new unit. Decide whether an infantry or artillery will be capable of gas attack (or both can be upgraded). Historically, hand grenades, 90 kg cannisters carried by soldiers, mortars, artillery shells were used. For the game, choose one of two basic land units. The new upgraded unit will be more expensive, and could be marked using something.

2. The new effect concept is “force retreat”: The idea is not to kill, but to disrupt the trench by forcing a number of units back one territory and thus to weaken the stack. In AA1914, large stacks of infantry are at the center of the game mechanic, so the gas attack should be about this. A gas infantry rolls to hit normally, no change necessary. Upon hit, 2 defending units (could be 1) are forced to retreat from the contested zone, to any neighboring zone of choice containing own units. (That zone might also be contested.) Retreating units do not have defense rolls and they have to spend the next turn in a hospital or triage, so they cannot move. They can defend the zone they are healing in.

3. Gas infantry comes with protection, so they are immune to gas when defending.

4. A counter tech that can be used is of course gas masks, if tech rolling is used. They can be universally applied if developed, but then producing gas infantry would be useless. A second upgrade can be used to produce masked infantry (more expensive than infantry, less than gas infantry?) Gas masks would complicate matters I guess.

• TripleA

Cavalry…. no horses in WWI is just demoralizing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m