The Great War 1914-1918: Clash of Empires

• Ok, I have a few questions regarding the map.

1. How will the USA come into play, I don’t see any USA tt.

2. What role will the Convoys have on gameplay?

3. You have some symbol that looks like oil or gas. Can you tell us a bit about that?

4. Will the naval ports work the same way they did in AA 1940?

5. I love the map and the colors are alot better than Larry’s design. Seems like a very fun game and I am looking forward to buying it. I also love the unit sculpts.

I understand if you can’t answer any of these questions.

• In a lot of ways this map is superior to A&A 1914. Especially the colors. The red for the Ottomans is so much better then the turquoise. I also like how Bulgaria is controlled by Germany over the Ottomans. More territories to maneuver in too. How large will the map be? Is there some connection with this game and Pegasus Hobbies? Are they making the the pieces? I do like how Larry’s map feels more global though. A few suggestions I would have for the map is maybe consider creating a new image for the forts. I had to really zoom in just to tell what it was. Maybe get rid of one of the US convoys and make it Canadian also. Shouldn’t the Russian capitol be in Petrograd? Spaces like Gallipoli seem way too small. Over all though I really dig it.

• TripleA '12

I’d really like to see the map but I can’t access Mediafire! Would it be possile to post a pic of the map here please?

• Customizer

No armoured cars?  Or they included under the 3 tank types?

• yes 3 types of armored cars…forgot that one ( or three)

• 1. How will the USA come into play, I don’t see any USA tt.

They appear in the game on turn 8 in Brittany or England. You can’t invade USA but you can cause damage to the convoys

2. What role will the Convoys have on gameplay?

Well the British can blockage Germany and the CP can attack the convoy boxes ( kinda like old AAEurope)

3. You have some symbol that looks like oil or gas. Can you tell us a bit about that?

where?

4. Will the naval ports work the same way they did in AA 1940?

no not really, ports do protect against naval attack but not air attacks ( bombers and zeppelins) They do perform repairs but no movement bonus. You notice ships move 4 in this game. They can also be strategically redeployed.

5. I love the map and the colors are alot better than Larry’s design. Seems like a very fun game and I am looking forward to buying it. I also love the unit sculpts.

Im a piece junkie too and i would never make a game that didn’t feature tons of sculpts. Cheap is not in my vocabulary.

• In a lot of ways this map is superior to A&A 1914. Especially the colors. The red for the Ottomans is so much better then the turquoise. I also like how Bulgaria is controlled by Germany over the Ottomans. More territories to maneuver in too. How large will the map be?

5 feet by 4 feet hardbound map, so it’s huge

Is there some connection with this game and Pegasus Hobbies? Are they making the the pieces?

They produced the game

I do like how Larry’s map feels more global though. A few suggestions I would have for the map is maybe consider creating a new image for the forts. I had to really zoom in just to tell what it was. Maybe get rid of one of the US convoys and make it Canadian also. Shouldn’t the Russian capitol be in Petrograd? Spaces like Gallipoli seem way too small. Over all though I really dig it.

The Russian capital is St. Pertersburg, not Moscow. Gallipoli is small because it is small. When you have too many pieces you just use one of the numbers and place it in the area, and the pieces go off board with that number ( note the numbered boxes bottom left).

The fort is based on Verdun at an angle looking above head on. The detail just couldn’t be done ( it was revised a number of times)

• Very well done map.  Looks very good.

Am I to guess that because the factories are printed directly on the map that these are the only places teams can produce?

• yep and they can be damaged but are really also recruitment centers ( not just factories in a strict sense)

• Cool, thanks for answering my questions IL. The reason I asked about Petrograd was because the Russian Roundel was in Moscow area so that confused me. I love the detail of things like the canal in Germany and all the islands in the Med. What function does that Mideast Operations Box hold? I do like the use of the old style A&A Europe convoy boxes. How are ANZACS and Indian troops handled? No income or troops from Canada for the British Empire? That seems odd.

• Well as i said before, that map is an old file. In the rules Petrograd is the capital, but the artist put the icon in Moscow.

What function does that Mideast Operations Box hold? I do like the use of the old style A&A Europe convoy boxes. How are ANZACS and Indian troops handled? No income or troops from Canada for the British Empire? That seems odd.

Mideast Operations is off map assets for UK. They can mobilize in this box.

I don’t glorify Canada but the convoy boxes to England’s west are in fact income from Dominions like Canada.

• Overseas Operations:
        Great Britain may purchase troops representing Anzac and Indian forces to use in operations in the Middle East.  Both areas are considered to have a combined recruiting level of 8.  These troops are placed in the Overseas Operations box. 
        The troops are all considered to be inside, or in route from, India, Australia or New Zealand while inside the box.  On any British move, these troops may be used by moving them from the box into the Red Sea or Persian Gulf.  To do this cost 1 movement point and the requirements of transportation must be met.  Any force that leaves the box must do battle with any enemy force in the sea zone. 
        The box may not be attacked, and has an unlimited storage capacity.  Pieces can return to the box by moving from the Red Sea or Persian Gulf to the box for one additional movement point. In addition, the box also acts as a port, allowing naval strategic moves.

American mobilization box:
    This box acts like the Overseas Ops box. Moves to and from this box can be made anywhere on the left side of the board and cost an additional movement point.  Likewise it acts as a port, has a build capacity of 12, the box may not be attacked and has an unlimited storage capacity.

• Customizer

So how do the forts work?

I have some forts from Age of Imperialism that would do nicely, but do they need pieces?

Is it simply a case of forts absorbing a number of hits, with the defender able to rebuild between turns?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

A WWI game without a noted canadian effort?

Pfftp.

• What scale do you guys make your fighters, tanks, ships, artillery in? I assume the infantry are about 1/72.

• A WWI game without a noted canadian effort?

Pfftp.

Not until you capitalize the name of your country. Besides retailers will be informed not to sell to you.

• What scale do you guys make your fighters, tanks, ships, artillery in? I assume the infantry are about 1/72.

I have not seen the infantry, but it will be AA scale. This was a very important point that was made….compatibility

Fortress: Fires twice at 3 on Defense, takes 4 hits
        Fortresses (representing large areas of concentrated fortifications and coastal batteries) take 4 hits and fire two times at a 3.  Fortress units fire preemptively in battle and may benefit from improved spotting (see aerial superiority).
        Fortresses are not built, but they may be captured if all enemy pieces have been killed. Any fort that takes its fourth hit is considered wrecked and may no longer participate in the battle.  To remain functional the fort must have at least one hit left and a single infantry, cavalry, or storm troop (exception pass-through fire, see below).

If enemy surface ships move next to or passes through the following areas:

1. Strait of Gibraltar
    2. Fao
    3. Dardanelles (from Aegean Sea)
    4. Dardanelles (from Black Sea)
    5. Gulf of Bothnia to get to Saint Petersburg, then the fortress there gets pass-through fire.  Pass-through fire is resolved by making one attack (rolling twice) against the ships. The enemy’s movement is temporarily halted to conduct this fire.  In the Dardanelles, the defender gets to use both forts. This fire is done each time the area is entered and there need not be an infantry, cavalry, or storm troop present with the fort.  Note that submarines are not affected by pass-through fire.

If a coastal fort is invaded by sea, or if a naval battle is being fought in the zone next to the fortress, then the fort may participate in the combat and fire twice each round.
    A fortress that was damaged is repaired during phase 6 of the owners turn in which it was not the subject of an attack by five or more land units.

• Looks great. I love the updates. When will we be able to see more of the pieces?

• They are working on sculpts. I will see what i can post and come back. I think i have a few other pics.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m