Just bought Axis and Allies: Battle of the Bulge and I'm disappointed with it

• Well finally bought my first Axis and Allies game other then the first one today at a local game store for $35 and was greatly disappointed with its design and structure, first off the game only lasts 8 turns, pity about that, secondly the pieces make me scared they will snap in two (the German Flak Guns), the “storage tray” and I use the word lightly is a disappointment (I like the Styrofoam trays from the first game), now I keep asking myself why this game is so much when it offers so little, because of the name, Avalon Hill AKA Wizards of the Coast AKA Hasbro are playing us players like fools by offering little for a high price knowing die hard fans like us will pay a lot for these games.

• @Asterios:

Well finally bought my first Axis and Allies game other then the first one today at a local game store for $35 and was greatly disappointed with its design and structure, first off the game only lasts 8 turns, pity about that, secondly the pieces make me scared they will snap in two (the German Flak Guns), the “storage tray” and I use the word lightly is a disappointment (I like the Styrofoam trays from the first game), now I keep asking myself why this game is so much when it offers so little, because of the name, Avalon Hill AKA Wizards of the Coast AKA Hasbro are playing us players like fools by offering little for a high price knowing die hard fans like us will pay a lot for these games.

Well I’d say, going from Classic to Bulge is like changing from driving your old school bike to a bus without going through the middle steps. :)
    For instance, the styrofoam trays, Classic is the only game that has them (and everyone has complained since them about their absence. The 88s may look fragile but they have existed since Revised (2004) and they are sturdier than they seem - never had one break. Keep an eye for your German/American trucks though - those are the rarer pieces to replace if you lose them.
    But this are all little details. IMHO, Bulge is a great game if you learn how to enjoy it, because the game mechanics are completely different from the main A&A games and that’s it’s value. It is a shorter game (8 rounds) without much variety (stop the Germans or lose) but learning how to run the combat/supply phases and achieve your objectives is very challenging and fun for both sides. On a typical A&A game each country plays in turns while here you have initiative in the combat phases and both sides alternate their attacks, so you need to be able to determine what are the most important ones.
    But like I said, you did a huge change going from Classic to Bulge, without getting familiar with many of the changes that the series has suffered since Classic. Above all, look at Bulge as if it is a completely different game than Classic (which is, it merely has the A&A logo and its pieces) and if you clear your mind of expectations/ comparisons about it then you might enjoy.

• Well I’ve also got D-Day and Spring 42 coming in, and looking into getting Pacific 40 and Europe 40 (those 2 games connect together ?) so we’ll see how it goes, only picked up Battle of the Bulge cause saw it at a local gameing store for $35.

• Never played D-Day but it seems to be unbalanced from the descriptions I’ve read. Spring 1942 is great and the best to start before trying Europe/Pacific or Global (when you join them together), where the board size and complexity go to a higher level.

Meanwhile, try Bulge - just forget it is A&A related but remember that the Allied learning curve is quite steep (I never never managed to win games as Allies but my playing friend wins!). The rules can also be a little tricky to figure out (specially blitzing rules) so feel free to ask :)

• i just had to rebuy BotB but understanding the combat rules have been the bane of my existence. I didn’t get it when it came out, I didn’t get it when i went back to it a year later, but i’m hoping that the third time is the charm.

• Despite “Axis and Allies” in the title the BOTB combat system bears no resemblance to the combat system in any of the other games. Set all of that aside and look at it fresh. We’ve gone over many of the issues folks have had with the system in the various threads here.

These points might set you in the right direction:

You do not move units into hexes you want to attack.

Defenders can be forced to retreat.

Combats do not go until the attacker calls it off or the enemy is destroyed.

• We made mistakes first few games, but really enjoy this game.
    It is a great subject and can be played in a short time.

• it will be here sometime after wednesday so I’ll know more then

• Well after trying it out, have come to the conclusion there is no real strategy involved, its like more of a game of luck then skill, so I must still say i’m disappointed with it, but then agian I did go in with high hopes on this game.

also heres a pic of my game shelf.:

• wow you got your’s set up in the house? mine’s in the basement. The basement does give a bunker feel to it but is noway organized.

• Mine are played in the “Bunker” (cellar if you like.)
    My almost 3 year old was not meant to know. Think that lasted a month.
    She could recognise a Sub, tank(obviously) and a carrier from an early age. Likes to land planes on Carriers and kill the black men. Umm!
    Sadly not interested in the Italians. Worse still, told me they were the ones in Red when Italy were playing Spain.
    I was hurt.

• well I have my stuff in my office in fact you can see the work I did on it in pictures here:

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=229266

• I set a Global up on my tablesaw top. It’s the only table in the house big enough to hold the whole game. The piece trays I have and all the charts go on a seperate table.

• Heres my gaming table:

• One day maybe this summer I’m going to make a gaming table. I’m still thinking on what I want from it. right now I’m thinking a piece of plywood with 2x4 under structure. Being able to use it for multi things (gaming and work bench) is important to me and something to breaks down and can be stored is also important.

• ok so it got here today. I’m re-reading the rule book and things are looking good. I’m answering my own questions at this point. Things I could never figure out I’m finding the answer to and understanding the rules. I think my hang up before was the title Axis and Allies and the combat system is nothing like it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m