TripleA map for Global 1940 Alpha Final

• Thank you…time to kiss PBF goodbye. :-D

• Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

• The units scale down beautifully, but the map doesn’t look great at all when you try to zoom out. I can see myself and others zooming out on a semi-regular basis during games to see the big picture. It’d be nice to have the map zoom out without losing territory lines.

• AA units don’t autokill like the transports do when they’re the only units left in a territory. This isn’t a huge issue but it does get frustrating when you send one infantry to take a territory and have to sit through 6+ combat rounds until he finally gets a kill.

• I had two games freeze while editing during the political phase. After editing some stuff and then exiting the edit function, the option to do politics or continue disappeared, effectively hanging the game. I didn’t try saving and opening it up again to see if that worked.

• It’s possible to place more then one IC/NB/AB in every territory. You can’t scramble more then 3 fighters or place more then the 3 or 10 units depending on IC size. But disabling one AB/NB with SBRs won’t keep someone from being able to move the extra space. This probably falls more under the follow the game rules bit you mentioned earlier.

Overall though, I’m very pleased with everything I saw. Thank you both for all the hard you’ve put into it. This will become my program of choice for getting my Global on! Your hard work will save others from having to write everything out.  :-D

• @seththenewb:

Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

• The units scale down beautifully, but the map doesn’t look great at all when you try to zoom out. I can see myself and others zooming out on a semi-regular basis during games to see the big picture. It’d be nice to have the map zoom out without losing territory lines.

• AA units don’t autokill like the transports do when they’re the only units left in a territory. This isn’t a huge issue but it does get frustrating when you send one infantry to take a territory and have to sit through 6+ combat rounds until he finally gets a kill.

• I had two games freeze while editing during the political phase. After editing some stuff and then exiting the edit function, the option to do politics or continue disappeared, effectively hanging the game. I didn’t try saving and opening it up again to see if that worked.

• It’s possible to place more then one IC/NB/AB in every territory. You can’t scramble more then 3 fighters or place more then the 3 or 10 units depending on IC size. But disabling one AB/NB with SBRs won’t keep someone from being able to move the extra space. This probably falls more under the follow the game rules bit you mentioned earlier.

Overall though, I’m very pleased with everything I saw. Thank you both for all the hard you’ve put into it. This will become my program of choice for getting my Global on! Your hard work will save others from having to write everything out.  :-D

I concur with you precisely seth…exactly my observations…except mine did not freeze.

• I love the auto turn summary and PBF function with triplea. Just took a look at it and it was pretty easy to figure out once you read the directions.  8-)

• Customizer

@seththenewb:

Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

1. I would like to improve the quality of the image when zooming out.  I don’t know how to do this though….

2. I’ll fix this.

3. Never happened to me.  Exit edit mode then save the game, then exit triplea and reload the savegame.  That should solve it.

4. I know you can place more than 1 Factory per territory, which is something I had to do in order to allow people to place the “factory_upgrade” unit.  However, I don’t think you can place extra NB/AB, and I’ll double check those.  Like you said, know the rules before you play.

Glad everyone is enjoying it.

• When you do another update…where will you post it???  Link???
    Thanks

• @questioneer:

When you do another update…where will you post it???  Link???
    Thanks

I recommend

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/

and

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/

When the “modified” date for the “maps” section has changed you can be sure that an update has been done.
    Or inside the map section you will find the maps where you can see the “modified” data, too.

• Is there an auto way to handle asking for scramble orders or OOL midturn or am I getting spoiled by the work that’s already been done? Asking for scramble seems pretty straightforward and would probably be handled much like it’s been handled in the past. Save the map right before the battles, post on the pertinent game thread, and ask for scramble orders. How about big convoluted battles involving multiple nationalities and units were the defender’s casualty choices could be big, such as losing bombers/aa/keeping one nationality’s fighting force intact by sacrificing some other nation’s arm/tac/etc?

I’m guessing you could save in the middle of the battle? And post that?

• @seththenewb:

I’m guessing you could save in the middle of the battle? And post that?

I have not tested scramble orders yet, but this is how it works during battles:

You can save in the middle of the battle. For example let the dice roll, see the hits - then save and ask your opponent to choose casualties via the forum.
    Then load the savegame and continue the battle removing the units your opponent told you.
    You can of course (manually) upload the savegame at any time. Your opponent can see what happened so far using the “show history” feature to be found in the “Game” menu.
    The “automatic” turn summary and the “final” savegame will be uploaded to the forum at the end of the player’s turn. There is a special dialogue for initiating this.

• Ok, pretty much what I figured. I was hoping for some snazzy auto post asking for OOL or scrambles. Thanks for the response though.  :-D

• Customizer

FYI:

Global was updated today to version 2.7
    (that is the file version)

You guys all need to redownload it.

The fixes:

• Fixing Strategic Bombers so that they add +2 damage onto raids.

• Allowed USA to go to war if Japan declares war on ANZAC / UK.

• Added one missing UK infantry to Egypt.

• Dropped price of Cruisers to 9, when you have shipyards tech.

Everyone needs to download it.

Make sure that both you and your opponents have it.  If your opponent does not have it, then you might end up playing by the old version….

• @Veqryn:

Thank you :-)

What happens with ongoing games (i.e. savegames from 2.6)?
    What do you recommend?

• Customizer

@P@nther:

@Veqryn:

Thank you :-)

What happens with ongoing games (i.e. savegames from 2.6)?
    What do you recommend?

Your savegames are never affected by a map update.

If you started a game as 2.6 or w/e, and then downloaded the update to 2.7, then your savegame will continue on as 2.6 because you started it as 2.6
    It will not crash or stop.
    The only time savegames stop working is when you change to a different version of TripleA (ie: triplea 1.3.2.2 savegames do not work on triplea 1.5.2.1)

So ya, download it right now!

keep playing your savegames too!

• Thanks for the update Veqryn!

• There seems to be an issue with scrambling to defend a seazone when the attacker lands on a nearby territory.

Scramble:
    Scrambling is a special movement that the defender can make at the end of the Combat Move phase. It must be done after all of the attacker’s combat movements have been completed and all attacks have been declared. The attacker may not change any combat movements or attacks after the defender has scrambled.
    A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on each island or coastal territory that has an operative air base can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the sea zones adjacent to those territories. These air units can be scrambled to help friendly units in adjacent sea zones that have come under attack. They can also be scrambled to resist amphibious assaults from adjacent sea zones, whether or not the territory being assaulted is the territory containing the air base. They may defend against the enemy ships conducting the amphibious assault even if friendly ships are not present.

In a game I’m playing, my opponent tried doing an amphibious assault on an empty Denmark. There were no axis warships in sz112, but there was a tac & fighter on W.Germany with a functioning airbase. There wasn’t even an option to scramble the air. I set up some different scenarios with the edit tool and it looks like it won’t register unopposed landings as worthy of a scramble option. Put a defender on that territory or in that seazone and the scramble option pops up just fine.

• Customizer

Ya, thats a bug in scrambling, one that I fixed last night actually.  (the bug is in the engine, so it requires me to release a new version of triplea, which i will probably do in two months or so)

Basically, if there is not going to be a sea battle, PLEASE use Edit mode to manually move the fighters.

TripleA forgets to scramble if there is not sea battle.

• @Veqryn:

Ya, thats a bug in scrambling, one that I fixed last night actually.  (the bug is in the engine, so it requires me to release a new version of triplea, which i will probably do in two months or so)

Basically, if there is not going to be a sea battle, PLEASE use Edit mode to manually move the fighters.

Please add the new convoy system to the engine also.  Thanks.

• Customizer

@questioneer:

@Veqryn:

Ya, thats a bug in scrambling, one that I fixed last night actually.�  (the bug is in the engine, so it requires me to release a new version of triplea, which i will probably do in two months or so)

Please add the new convoy system to the engine also.  Thanks.

I finished that today.  The convoy system, as well as fixed scrambling, are finished for the next engine.

• I think I found 1 more very minor bug.  You can’t NCM a loaded transport through a sea zone with an enemy sub in it.  In the final alpha rules you should be able to, so I just used Edit to move past the sub.

Thank you very much Veqryn for your hard work.

• Customizer

@Vance:

I think I found 1 more very minor bug.  You can’t NCM a loaded transport through a sea zone with an enemy sub in it.  In the final alpha rules you should be able to, so I just used Edit to move past the sub.

Thank you very much Veqryn for your hard work.

uh…. I can…

give me a savegame where you can’t please…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m