• So, I’m playing AA42 with my brother in-law this week-end. My wife asked: do you want me to buy you anything to drink? Yes, I replied, but what?

To me, a tabletop (online just doesn’t have the same appeal) game of Axis and Allies (any version, really) is really about relaxing with buddies just as it is about replaying WWII. And it wouldn’t be complete without the appropriate drink/food combo. Be it nachos and soda, beer and pretzels or even sugarless lemonade and veggies, the game requires fuel…

• '12

I prefer the tears of my foes personally.  But a nice rye and water isn’t a bad second choice, say Gibsons…

• voted beer but normally we drink whiskey

• I’ve read somewhere that, during WWII, members of the British high command who attended meetings at the White House were horrified to see Roosevelt conjure up a glass of Scotch and soda to accompany the weighty strategic debates in which he was engaged.  So I guess it’s the same principle, though without the fun element of moving neat little plastic sculpts around on an A&A game board.

• '12

Churchill was a heavy drinker, I would wager he was clinically an alcoholic.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Churchill was a heavy drinker, I would wager he was clinically an alcoholic.

Churchill was quite proud of the fact that he had consumed a pint of champagne every day of his adult life, something he mentioned to the members of his entourage during a train trip in early August 1941.

• '12

Winston Churchill to Lady Astor “Sir, you’re drunk!” “Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly.” …

He would NEVER be elected in todays political environment, pity…

• We never drink when we play A & A. Games would probably end in fisticuffs. We do however like to partake in certain other recreational substances.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

And why isnt Schnapps on the list?  Eh?  Or some nice wine coolers or something sweet and filled with alcohol?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Winston Churchill to Lady Astor “Sir, you’re drunk!” “Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly.” …

He would NEVER be elected in todays political environment, pity…

Lol.  You mean Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, of course, but it’s funnier this way.

• @Cmdr:

And why isnt Schnapps on the list?  Eh?  Or some nice wine coolers or something sweet and filled with alcohol?

This expanded list raises what could be a fun question: if every player in Global 1940 was required to drink the type of alcohol most typically (or perhaps most stereotypically) associated with the country he or she is playing – with the restriction that the same drink can’t be used for more than one country – what would the list look like?  I guess sake would be the obvious choice for Japan, red wine for France and vodka for Russia, but it gets more complicated for the others.  Beer or white wine – or Jennifer’s Schnapps – for Germany?  Gin or beer for Britain?  If France gets the red wine, what does Italy get?  What about China and the U.S.?  There are certain alcohols of classically American origin, like bourbon, but which one could be considered the signature drink of the U.S.?

/shrug, all the others are kinda bitter and I like sweet candy like drinks…I guess I could settle for a Margaritta or something…

• '12

It was actually a complete copy and paste.  The punch line was Churchill to Lady Astor in any event.  I wonder who could drink who under the table, Churchill or Roosevelt?  I’d imagine Stalin would keep pace or set the pace?

Jack Daniels for the Americans, rye whiskey for the Canucks, Gin for the Brits.  Now for the French, hmmmm, whatever rolls over really well I guess……

Patton would drink em all under the table, then shoot them and invade Moscow.

• Just sticking to the 42 board -
    America - whiskey
    Germany - Beer
    Russia - vodka
    Japan - sake
    UK- Gin

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Now for the French, hmmmm, whatever rolls over really well I guess……

Absinth. But after a few ones the French player might start hallucinating…

• Added a the XX drink to the poll (XX like the genes).

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

Just sticking to the 42 board -
    America - whiskey
    Germany - Beer
    Russia - vodka
    Japan - sake
    UK- Gin

i say UK should be sherry and america should be more specifically bourbon, to be more distinctly native =)

• TripleA '12

There was no option for milk (and an appropriate annecdote) so I voted for option 5.

“I wouldn’t drink bovine lactose at any temperature.”
    ~Teal’c

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m