• @thatonekid:

if you were right on their door and ready to take their capital youd want them to have as much money as possible. just like a player might not want to SB moscow if they are going to take it next round.

Good point, but yeah, it’s not optional.  The rules say all players are supposed to be checking for convoy disruption during the collect income phase.  So it might be the player who’s about to lose a capital that catches it, but disrupting convoys is not optional, AFAIK

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

@thatonekid:

if you were right on their door and ready to take their capital youd want them to have as much money as possible. just like a player might not want to SB moscow if they are going to take it next round.

Good point, but yeah, it’s not optional.  The rules say all players are supposed to be checking for convoy disruption during the collect income phase.  So it might be the player who’s about to lose a capital that catches it, but disrupting convoys is not optional, AFAIK

Yes, it does say in the rules, that all players are obligated to look for, and point out convoy disruption possibilities on the board, but I don’t understand how that translates into mandatory disruptions when in a convoy sea zone.

• @Young:

Yes, it does say in the rules, that all players are obligated to look for, and point out convoy disruption possibilities on the board, but I don’t understand how that translates into mandatory disruptions when in a convoy sea zone.

I didn’t mean to imply that that rule translated into mandatory disruptions.  Pretty sure Krieghund has already answered this question, that convoy disruptions are not optional.  Wait for him to repeat it if you want to.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

I didn’t mean to imply that that rule translated into mandatory disruptions.  Pretty sure Krieghund has already answered this question, that convoy disruptions are not optional.  Wait for him to repeat it if you want to.

No need, your rulings are good with us.

• I have a simple question… I’m playing with the Alpha 2 rules, and in both that ruleset and the original rulebook I noticed that kamikaze attacks never actualy specify having to use an actual fighter plane. Are the kamikaze attacks simply used with the kamikaze tokens and no other units? Do you not have to sacrifice a fighter plane to actually perform a kamikaze attack?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@creeping-deth87:

I have a simple question… I’m playing with the Alpha 2 rules, and in both that ruleset and the original rulebook I noticed that kamikaze attacks never actualy specify having to use an actual fighter plane. Are the kamikaze attacks simply used with the kamikaze tokens and no other units? Do you not have to sacrifice a fighter plane to actually perform a kamikaze attack?

Nope.  They are “free” attacks on allied destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers and battleships.  Once you use them, they’re gone and you cannot get anymore.

• Sponsor

@creeping-deth87:

I have a simple question… I’m playing with the Alpha 2 rules, and in both that ruleset and the original rulebook I noticed that kamikaze attacks never actualy specify having to use an actual fighter plane. Are the kamikaze attacks simply used with the kamikaze tokens and no other units? Do you not have to sacrifice a fighter plane to actually perform a kamikaze attack?

I put 6 French Tac Bombers in my Japan tray and use them as my Kamakaze tokens, and remember, you don’t have to use all of them in one battle.

• You have 6 French tac bombers??  I thought there were only like 1-3…

@Gamerman01:

You have 6 French tac bombers??  I thought there were only like 1-3…

Depends on how many sets you buy, or if you plunder units from older games.  :evil:

I still say it’s cool using the jets from Fortress America for America’s Heavy Bombers technology.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

You have 6 French tac bombers??  I thought there were only like 1-3…

Sorry, forgot I have 2 sets mixed together. Get a second set and use 6 French tac bombers.

• Can European UK buy a Naval Base and place it in West India which in on the European map but gives it’s IPC value to Pacific UK?

• Official Q&A

No.

• West India is now considered Pacific (with India) for all purposes.

• Sponsor

Lets say Germany attacks sea zone #109 (1 UK destroyer and 1 Transport) during their first turn. He brings in 2 submarines and 2 fighters, and the Allies scramble 3 defending fighters into the adjacent sea zone battle.

My submarines hit once and my fighters hit once, the UK destroyer misses and the fighters hit twice.

Who must remove their casualties first, the attacker or the defender?

The UK defender removes 1 destroyer (mandatory due to the sub hit) and 1 fighter, the German attacker removes 1 submarine and 1 fighter, than retreats leaving only a German submarine and a British transport in sea zone #9. Seeing as the scrambled planes can’t fire at the German sub due to the lack of a destroyer present, can the remaining sub can hit the defenseless transport or must it also retreat when the aircraft do?

YG,

This may have changed, but I’ve always understood the battle to go thusly:

Attacker Rolls
    Defender Selects Casualties
    Defender Rolls
    Attacker Selects Casualties
    Attacker Determines to press or retreat

So the defender would remove casualties before the attacker.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

YG,

This may have changed, but I’ve always understood the battle to go thusly:

Attacker Rolls
    Defender Selects Casualties
    Defender Rolls
    Attacker Selects Casualties
    Attacker Determines to press or retreat

So the defender would remove casualties before the attacker.

OH YA, we never use the battle board so I guess we would have missed those simple steps, instead of just callculating hits and removing casualties together.

How about my question regarding the German subs, mandatory retreat when other units do so?

That I cannot help you on.

On the one hand, the rule is all units retreat together
    On the other hand, the rule is submarines can withdraw seperately from other units

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

That I cannot help you on.

On the one hand, the rule is all units retreat together
    On the other hand, the rule is submarines can withdraw seperately from other units

OK Thanks.

• Sponsor

@Young:

Lets say Germany attacks sea zone #109 (1 UK destroyer and 1 Transport) during their first turn. He brings in 2 submarines and 2 fighters, and the Allies scramble 3 defending fighters into the adjacent sea zone battle.

My submarines hit once and my fighters hit once, the UK destroyer misses and the fighters hit twice.

The UK defender removes 1 destroyer (mandatory due to the sub hit) and 1 fighter, the German attacker removes 1 submarine and 1 fighter, than retreats leaving only a German submarine and a British transport in sea zone #9. Seeing as the scrambled planes can’t fire at the German sub due to the lack of a destroyer present, can the remaining sub can hit the defenseless transport or must it also retreat when the aircraft do?

Can someone give me a ruling on this?

• @Young:

@Young:

Can someone give me a ruling on this?

You cannot retreat independently (other than the amphib assault rule).  If Germany wants to retreat from combat to save their plane, the submarine must leave to a seazone through which it passed (NOT through which the fighter passed - aircraft routes don’t count for retreat paths).

During the round of combat following the loss of the destroyer, Germany can choose to submerge their remaining subs rather than rolling dice.  However, this means that the fighter did NOT retreat and must endure another round of combat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m