• @Cmdr:

@soldaatvanoranje:

Hi All,

I hope this isn’t answered already in this thread.

I have a question relating to the new Alpha 3+ AA-guns. The rules state:

“Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit.”

Does this mean that when I have 4 AA-guns in a territory and two planes attack that territory, I get to fire 8 times at the planes? In abstracto: each AA-gun may fire at each plane? (max 3 off course)  :?

Thanks!

No, that means that you get to fire one shot at up to 6 attacking planes.  If an attacker brings 11 planes, then 5 of them will not be shot at by your AA Guns in that battle.

Up to 12 planes, no?

In short:
    If you have 4 AA’s and 20 planes attack, you shoot with 12 dice.
    If you have 4 AA’s and 1 plane attacks, you shoot with 1 dice.

• @soldaatvanoranje:

Can I land with UK, ANZAC and US planes in Dutch territories (DEI and Suriname), while they are still under Dutch control?  :?

nee :)

They have to be land units
    (i don’t know if USA can do this at all, i suppose they can, once at war…)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Misread what he said.

1 AA Gun can fire at up to 3 attacking aircraft, even if there are 99 attacking aircraft.  The other 96 over-whelm the fire rate of the gun and get through the AA Gun screen without risk.
    2 AA Guns can fire at up to 6 attacking aircraft, even if there are 99 attacking aircraft.  The other 93 over-whelm the fire rate of the gun and get through the AA Gun screen without risk.
    3 AA Guns can fire at up to 9 attacking aircraft, even if there are 99 attacking aircraft.  The other 90 over-whelm the fire rate of the gun and get through the AA Gun screen without risk.

32 AA Guns can fire at up to 96 attacking aircraft, even if there are 99 attacking aircraft.  The other 3 over-whelm the fire rate of the gun and get through the AA Gun screen without risk.
    33 AA Guns can fire at up to 99 attacking aircraft, even if there are 99 attacking aircraft.  There are no aircraft to over-whelm the fire rate of the gun and get through the AA Gun screen without risk.

• @special:

@soldaatvanoranje:

Can I land with UK, ANZAC and US planes in Dutch territories (DEI and Suriname), while they are still under Dutch control?  :?

Yes, air units at war may land on allied territories, Dutch territories are allies with USA,UK,Anzac,USSR,China, and France.
    Prior to the “special” conversion rule with land units, you can use Dutch territories as landing sites even if you do not intend to take it over, it is still an ally. Dutch is different than other allies, in that you may take over its IPCs unlike any other ally whose capital is in enemy hands without having to liberate it first from the Axis.

Regarding aagun Min/Max rules: (if I have this hammered down)
    No aagun may fire more than 3 times. No plane may be shot at more than one time by any number of aaguns.

• Regarding Dutch zones, I wonder if you liberate Holland, and they save their money for a minor factory if you can have them buy units? LOL, I know you can’t, but it would be nice if that income was liberated instead of taken in over in Holland, and they could participate :) Good house rule if you are bored I suppose.

@JamesAleman:

Regarding Dutch zones, I wonder if you liberate Holland, and they save their money for a minor factory if you can have them buy units? LOL, I know you can’t, but it would be nice if that income was liberated instead of taken in over in Holland, and they could participate :) Good house rule if you are bored I suppose.

That would certainly help Germany!

Maybe you should PM Larry.  What a wicked idea!  If there is a complex on Holland (which is legal, unlike all other Dutch territories!) then they would also get it upon liberation.  They could earn 4+4+3+3 = 14 IPC while still giving the allies +10 for having DEI liberated too. (In theory.)

• @JamesAleman:

@special:

@soldaatvanoranje:

Can I land with UK, ANZAC and US planes in Dutch territories (DEI and Suriname), while they are still under Dutch control?  :?

Yes, air units at war may land on allied territories, Dutch territories are allies with USA,UK,Anzac,USSR,China, and France.
    Prior to the “special” conversion rule with land units, you can use Dutch territories as landing sites even if you do not intend to take it over, it is still an ally. Dutch is different than other allies, in that you may take over its IPCs unlike any other ally whose capital is in enemy hands without having to liberate it first from the Axis.

Regarding aagun Min/Max rules: (if I have this hammered down)
    No aagun may fire more than 3 times. No plane may be shot at more than one time by any number of aaguns.

Okay, I thought the same as Aleman, but there are mixed signals and I am getting confused  :?

Sherrif Krieg! Deputies!  :wink:
    Can I get a verdict on landing of allied planes on Dutch territories under Dutch control?

Thanks!!

• @special:

@Cmdr:

@soldaatvanoranje:

Hi All,

I hope this isn’t answered already in this thread.

I have a question relating to the new Alpha 3+ AA-guns. The rules state:

“Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit.”

Does this mean that when I have 4 AA-guns in a territory and two planes attack that territory, I get to fire 8 times at the planes? In abstracto: each AA-gun may fire at each plane? (max 3 off course)  :?

Thanks!

No, that means that you get to fire one shot at up to 6 attacking planes.  If an attacker brings 11 planes, then 5 of them will not be shot at by your AA Guns in that battle.

Up to 12 planes, no?

In short:
    If you have 4 AA’s and 20 planes attack, you shoot with 12 dice.
    If you have 4 AA’s and 1 plane attacks, you shoot with 1 dice.

Jenn and Special Forces, Thanks for your help.

I am not yet convinced though: the rules state that each AA gun may fire at 3 planes, but not more than once at 1 plane at a time. It doesn’t say that 2 AA-guns together may only fire once in total at the same plane.

The way I read the rules is that each AA-gun may target 3 individual planes. They don’t have to take regards to the circumstance that there are other AA’s in the territory.

So: when a player attacks a territory with 1 plane but there are 2 AA-guns, I’d say both AA-guns may fire at that plane.
    So –> 1 plane vs 2 AA = 1diePlane vs 2diceAA

By that logic, I’d also say that if there are 2 planes attacking 2 AA-guns, the 2 planes both get fire from both AA guns. So 4 dice for AA vs the 2 planes.

This stops of course when there are more than three planes attacking the teritory. In that case you’d have to split up your dice.

(Otherwise I wouldn’t really see the added value of the new aa-gun rule.)

Krieg, Gamerman, Kcdzim:
    What is your verdict?

Thanks!!! :-)

• Official Q&A

@soldaatvanoranje:

Okay, I thought the same as Aleman, but there are mixed signals and I am getting confused  :?

Can I get a verdict on landing of allied planes on Dutch territories under Dutch control?

James is correct.  However, as a point of clarification, only UK and ANZAC may claim Dutch territories (using land units only) that have not been captured by the Axis.

@soldaatvanoranje:

Krieg, Gamerman, Kcdzim:
    What is your verdict?

Jen and James are correct.

• Question #1: A3
    Japan lets the US move into its waters. Saves its income multiple turns; then purchases 5 carriers in enemy occupied water as permitted.
    1a: Does this permit Japan to land 10 air units in that sea zone?
    1b: If so, US has to move out to avoid combat, or Japan can trigger Kamikazes in the resulting combat and then Scramble 3 air units…Correct?

Question #2: A3
    2a: What happens to Mongolia if Germany attacks a true neutral (say Spain)?
    2b: Does this change the Japanese/USSR pact?
    Example….in order to prevent USSR from getting all of those men at once without wasting turns moving in, Germany strikes Spain and Sweden, all true neturals turn pro Allies, does this now permit Japan to attack adjacent USSR holdings without the auto conversion since they are no longer neutral?
    2c: Or does the attack by Japan still convert remaining “newly” pro-allied Mongolian forces to USSR control?
    2d: What happens if Germany triggers, USSR moves into 1 or two Mongolian, then Japan attacks?

It only matters in terms of how many turns it takes USSR to activate, and how far out of position units have to be to activate them. If they are automatically activated, then it doesn’t matter.

• Official Q&A

1a & 1b: Yes.

2a: It becomes pro-Allies.
    2b: No.
    2c: Yes.
    2d: The remaining Mongolian territories become USSR-controlled.

• @Krieghund:

@soldaatvanoranje:

Okay, I thought the same as Aleman, but there are mixed signals and I am getting confused  :?

James is correct.  However, as a point of clarification, only UK and ANZAC may claim Dutch territories (using land units only) that have not been captured by the Axis.

@soldaatvanoranje:

Krieg, Gamerman, Kcdzim:
    What is your verdict?

Jen and James are correct.

Thanks Krieg! Always the best support at AA.org!

• Follow up question:

If Allies attack true neutrals: (Spain) and Mongolia becomes Pro axis. Can Japan attack USSR territories next to Mongolia without them turning into Russians?

• Is there any chance of actually getting some balance put in for the Soviets against the Japanese? Getting the Mongolian territories isn’t anything close to great, 4 Territories that have no IPC value and 7 Inf vs what Japan has already on the mainland? If the Imperials attack you ALREADY have 18 Inf to bring to bare, what chance does 7-8 Inf that aren’t consolidated have? I understand the setup is still based partially on the fact that the Russians don’t play a part in the Pacific version but in 1940 the Russians still had over 450,000 men stationed in the far east. Not just Infantry, but small tank units and planes as well. Eventually these units were moved my rail to their western front because of Barbarossa, but my point is that if Japan had of attacked they would have had men and material to call upon that were closer than MOSCOW!
    In the game now if they’re attacked there is no timely response, aside from removing every plane (of which Russia starts with precious few) and sending them to attack whatever Japan is pressing their assault with. Japan has at least 2 but possibly 3 maybe even 4 turns to take territories before Russia can get any sort of reinforcements there. Given that Russia (if attacked) isn’t allowed to declare war on Germany and Italy, has no reinforcements closer than 4-5 maybe 6 territories away, and has absolutely zero chance of repelling the initial attack because of what they start with in Manchuria and Korea (not to mention the planes on Japan proper). I think for balance if the Japanese violate the terms of their non-agression pact Russia should be able to place 20-25IPC points worth of units and at least a Minor IC in any territory originally controlled by Russia that is on the Pacific map. It may seem that that would be a HUGE advantage to Russia, but it wouldn’t be in the long run, it would simply make the decision to attack Russia a serious consideration that would require a serious dedication of assets on the part of Japan and would allow another proper theater of war to be opened. All the game does now is allow Russia to be raped completely uncontested.
    I don’t know how it would be balanced if Russia preemptively attacked Japan, but with what’s there for them (meaning the 18 Inf and that’s it) vs what Japan could bring against them in response I don’t imagine that happens very often anyway. But that’s why you gents and ladies make the board games and we just get to play them :)
    Anyway, this has been on my mind for quite some time and I’ve been seriously burned playing the Russians (and enjoyed the plunder as Japan) long enough that we’ve made a couple of house rules, but it would be nice to have something in ink.

Thanks for reading,

C

As far as I know, Larry is a dinosaur of the cold war.  Getting parity for the Russians is akin to getting good dental treatment in the old Communist Russia - aint gunna happen.  Just be glad he finally allowed Russia to earn enough cash to field a realistic infantry force and work around it.

Mongolia was probably a HUGE mistake.  It gave Japan another option into and around Russia.  It would have been better for him to put +6 infantry into Russia and left Mongolia neutral, but what’s done is done.  Russia is able to defend itself, but it’s not looking good if the allies try anything but a slow japan strategy with a kill Europe strategy.

• While I appreciate Larry’s apparent animosity towards everything Russian it makes me a sad panda to see them so vulnerable. I think it’s a huge hole in the game play and a really great way for the Axis to get ahead, Russia has no chance of resisting both a serious German push and repelling even a token Japanese advance. But, I suppose I’ll have to content myself with my house rules and hope Larry considers it.

I agree Mongolia wasn’t a great change, it just doesn’t help, not only are the territories not worth anything, an extra 7 Inf after you’ve lost 18 just doesn’t make sense. The IPC solution was better, just isn’t enough of a deterrent.

Thanks for the prompt response none the less,
    C

• Official Q&A

@JamesAleman:

Follow up question:

If Allies attack true neutrals: (Spain) and Mongolia becomes Pro axis. Can Japan attack USSR territories next to Mongolia without them turning into Russians?

No.

@Krieghund:

@JamesAleman:

Follow up question:

No.

America attacks Argentina, Mongolia goes Pro-Axis.  Japan annexes part of Mongolia and then invades Amur.  The rest of Mongolia goes Russian, but what about any Mongolian territories that are not garrisoned by the Japanese?

• Wow, the Mongolian rules of Alpha3 really opened a can of worms!!

@Gamerman01:

Wow, the Mongolian rules of Alpha3 really opened a can of worms!!

Wanna go really conveluted?  Should the Mongolians who joined Japan suddenly switch sides and attack Japan too?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m