Completed turns equal how many years?

• Was it ever determined how many completed turns (Germany, first to France, last) it takes to equal one scaled down year?  I thought I’d seen it once before but have know Idea where.

Was it 2 completed moves, 6 months per completed turn?

Was it 3 completed moves, 4 months per completed turn?

Of was it 4 completed move, 3 months per completed turn?

• From my understanding a turn is supposed to be about 3-6 months. So an average game of 4-8 rounds of play would be like 2-4 years in real time.

• @maverick_76:

From my understanding a turn is supposed to be about 3-6 months. So an average game of 4-8 rounds of play would be like 2-4 years in real time.

Then a game of 21 turns will be 7 years.

• each turn is 6 months

• @Imperious:

each turn is 6 months

Then the game between gamerman01 and functionetta is now in December 1950

• wow then one of my games i played lasted till 2010! the axis just stacked everything and the allies just kept dieing when they attacked!

• @Imperious:

each turn is 6 months

How do you know this?

• Not speaking for Imperious Leader (he said 6 moths).  But I did see on that other game that is like AA Global (I forgot the name), they did straight off say a turn equaled 6 moths.  That never sounded right.  To me it feels more like it should be about 4 months a completed turn, so 3 turns would equal a year.

• I’ve always wondered this myself… Always too lazy to google it though… Now I know  :-D

• @Imperious:

each turn is 6 months

IL, found a problem with this. If each turn is 6 months, that means transports crossing the Atlantic from E US to UK take 1 yr! Its even worse crossing Pacific ocean.

• @GrayBlaZe:

Not speaking for Imperious Leader (he said 6 moths).  But I did see on that other game that is like AA Global (I forgot the name), they did straight off say a turn equaled 6 moths.  That never sounded right.  To me it feels more like it should be about 4 months a completed turn, so 3 turns would equal a year.

Just remember people……ITS JUST A GAME!!!

• IL, found a problem with this. If each turn is 6 months, that means transports crossing the Atlantic from E US to UK take 1 yr! Its even worse crossing Pacific ocean.

The game is not realistic and secondly, moving the units could represent multiple trips of multiple units rather than one ship making one trip.

AA40 starts in June 1940:

turn 1: June 1940-Dec 1940
    turn 2: Dec 1940-May 1941
    turn 3: May 1941- Dec 1941
    turn 4: Dec 1941- May 1942

Now look at the political rules and plug in the start dates of the Soviet and American players and you will see a pattern.

• Based solely on the political rules, you could even make a case that a turn represents a longer period of time as the US and Soviets declared war only after being attacked by the Japanese and Germans respectively, which is not a requirement for the US and Soviet turn 3 and turn 4 DoW.

Essentially I agree that’s it’s just a game and it’s not meant to realistically represent any period of time.

• Official Q&A

Here are Larry’s thoughts on the subject (from his forums):

“Time” in this game is like a rubberband. I’m not telling you definitively that these events are taking place in June 1940, and here’s snapshot of the military situation. I can’t! It doesn’t work for the Axis & Allies I know and love. If it did, ships would be able to move a lot more than 2 spaces per turn. If it did, aircraft could have made their way around the world a couple of times during a round. I kind of start the game at a stated date, a date with some historical significance. I try to represent the game’s world in its political divides or territories for the stated starting date. You, as the player, can expect certain historical events to be part of the story. Where time goes from there is anybody’s guess. It’s a rubberband. Like a rubberband sometimes “time” is expanded and sometimes it’s contracted. I go from macro to micro in a micro second, if you can measure time in those realms.

Often people ask me what a round represents in time. To keep it simple, I respond that a round is roughly 3 or 4 months. A lot of times the game seems to follow that time logic. If a round really was 3 or 4 months it would take around (6.3 call it) 7 rounds to go from June 1940 to December 1941. Two very distinct dates in this game. I immediately concluded that from an “enjoyment” point of view, 6 or 7 rounds was too many rounds to go through before getting all the powers in the fight. As it is now, the last possible holdout, Russia, can go to war on turn 4 should the Germans not attack them before then. There’s one good example of game-play trumping history/time.

I’m happy if I can get historical events to occur in chronological order. You know… Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Barbarossa, Pearl Harbor and so… I don’t even consider all the powers to be in the same time frame when they are all going through their first turns. I can’t… When Germany takes its first turn in the Global game the clock has already starting ticking. By the time Japan’s first turn comes around the world is already a different place. French Indo-China has no mother country any longer. Who can say what the exact date it is at any given moment?

• AA40 starts in June 1940:

In AAE40 Germany is at war with Russia on turn 3 ( history says June 1941)
    In AAP40 Japan is at war with USA with full turn functions and fighting on turn 4 ( History says Dec 1941)

Look at my chart above and draw your own conclusions. Both are consistent with the game.

• '12

@Imperious:

IL, found a problem with this. If each turn is 6 months, that means transports crossing the Atlantic from E US to UK take 1 yr! Its even worse crossing Pacific ocean.

The game is not realistic and secondly, moving the units could represent multiple trips of multiple units rather than one ship making one trip.

AA40 starts in June 1940:

Now look at the political rules and plug in the start dates of the Soviet and American players and you will see a pattern.

I had been been under the assumption of a 3 month turn in the games up until AAP40.  I noted the same thing as IL in the political rules. However I think (or like to think, as it doesn’t really matter in the end) that subsequent turns are much shorter (3 months?). After Barbarossa the tempo of the war picked up massively.  Don’t forget that from June 1940 to May 1941 the German army didn’t really do much other than move into positions to invade Russia, so accelarated game time for that period makes some sense.  In my view, turns 1-4 are 6 months and then 3 months thereafter.

• We really should actually call these “turns,” rounds of play. It might confuse those that think we mean an actual power’s turn, not a complete go-around.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m