• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I was wondering if anybody out there had advice for me, as I will be leaving for South Korea on Sunday. Anything I should be aware of, take a look at, try out or remember?

I am in a program called Peace Camp for Youth 2010. It is put on by Military Historical Tours as it involves the Korean War. My grandfather was in the infantry in the War and the Korean government has this program to take a grandchild of Korean War Vets to the country to let them experience the culture and learn about the War. It is nice because the South Korean government pays for the main expences over there (meals, hotels, tours) and pays half your total airfare. I have to bring money for souveniers and stuff like that though. I applied and was selected.

I am in the second of two groups and there are 8 of us from the US going. There will be many other kids from other countries that fought too… Britain, Germany, France, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand etc…

So, anyone have something that might help me out?

• @LHoffman:

I was wondering if anybody out there had advice for me, as I will be leaving for South Korea on Sunday. Anything I should be aware of, take a look at, try out or remember?

I am in a program called Peace Camp for Youth 2010. It is put on by Military Historical Tours as it involves the Korean War. My grandfather was in the infantry in the War and the Korean government has this program to take a granchild of Korean War Vets to the country to let them experience the culture and learn about the War. It is nice because the South Korean government pays for the main expences over there (meals, hotels, tours) and pays half your total airfare. I have to bring money for souveniers and stuff like that though. I applied and was selected.

I am in the second of two groups and there are 8 of us from the US going. There will be many other kids from other countries that fought too… Britain, Germany, France, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand etc…

So, anyone have something that might help me out?

I can say take a day trip to the North.

• oh sure… and get caught and put in North Korean prison?

• @Imperious:

oh sure… and get caught and put in North Korean prison?

No the landmine in between their border

Actually we should go back on topic, sorry about that.

Haha… no that’s okay. Pretty funny actually. I have joked about that before. You guys would all be hearing about me in the paper for sure. Maybe I can get Bill Clinton to come save me, like he did those two women who got caught.

If they go to war while I am over there, I am gonna pick up a gun and say bring 'em on!

I told some people that I would bring them back some communist rocks.

• @LHoffman:

Haha… no that’s okay. Pretty funny actually. I have joked about that before. You guys would all be hearing about me in the paper for sure. Maybe I can get Bill Clinton to come save me, like he did those two women who got caught.

If they go to war while I am over there, I am gonna pick up a gun and say bring 'em on!

The funny thing is that some people said that the girls deserved to be arrested because they entered NK

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

The funny thing is that some people said that the girls deserved to be arrested because they entered NK

Their just sexist.

Yeah they probably did deserve it. If I may inject some stereotyping … women do not tend to be the best with directions… even maps.

Still, you’d think they’d be smart enough not to do something dumb like that. They could be in some sort of NK gulag right now.

I’d sure like some communist rocks though. Hopefully I don’t get gunned down before I stuff my pockets and run back.

• All humor aside we should be going back to topic

(AHH I FEEL LIKE IL!!!)

@Dylan:

All humor aside we should be going back to topic

(AHH I FEEL LIKE IL!!!)

Can’t I authorize off-topic-ness in a thread I created?

Unless you really want to get back to a topic that no one has been able to directly comment on… Better some light hearted discussion than nothing. Even if I get no real advice, I’d like this thread to be used for something

• @LHoffman:

Yeah they probably did deserve it. If I may inject some stereotyping … women do not tend to be the best with directions… even maps.

Still, you’d think they’d be smart enough not to do something dumb like that. They could be in some sort of NK gulag right now.

I’d sure like some communist rocks though. Hopefully I don’t get gunned down before I stuff my pockets and run back.

Hmm, I thought the Koreans pulled them over the border from China

• here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

You can do the rest.

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

Hmm, I thought the Koreans pulled them over the border from China

Maybe they did. I am not sure. Since I don’t know, I am not qualified to dispute you.

@Dylan:

here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

You can do the rest.

Thanks Dylan.

• Korea, aka Tae-han Min-guk (republic of korea) is a pretty awesome place. If you like pc games you will be in heaven. Try to find one of the stadiums where they play huge lan games of Starcraft, and other pc games, it really is something to see.
    Also, not sure of the age here or what rules you’ll have to follow,  but the drinking laws are fairly lax. at the resturants in Seoul, you are only allowed to bring in one bottle of booze, its some kind of weird city ordanence. To get around this, beer and other alcohol makers have made giant sized bottles of people favorite beer and other alcohol, and I mean giant. So check that out too if you can.
    good luck and have fun :)

• I am entirely envious of you.

@Clyde85:

Korea, aka Tae-han Min-guk (republic of korea) is a pretty awesome place. If you like pc games you will be in heaven. Try to find one of the stadiums where they play huge lan games of Starcraft, and other pc games, it really is something to see.
    Also, not sure of the age here or what rules you’ll have to follow,  but the drinking laws are fairly lax. at the resturants in Seoul, you are only allowed to bring in one bottle of booze, its some kind of weird city ordanence. To get around this, beer and other alcohol makers have made giant sized bottles of people favorite beer and other alcohol, and I mean giant. So check that out too if you can.

Well, I am 20, so, 1 year underage in the US… and I don’t do any drinking anyway, but thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly, you are only allowed to buy one bottle of an alcoholic beverage? So the beer companies make huge bottles? Hmmm… I will need a picture of that!

I do play some computer games… but stadiums of LAN games are more than a bit extreme. That would be odd to witness.

@allboxcars:

I am entirely envious of you.

I think it is a great opportunity, so I didn’t want to pass it up. The only place outside the US I have been is Canada (many times)… but that doesn’t really count in my opinion. No offense Dylan, but Canada and the US are just about the same in terms of land forms and relative closeness to home.

I hope it is a good time. I’d like to bring a few of you guys with me… then we can play a couple games of AA in our spare time.

• @LHoffman:

@Clyde85:

Korea, aka Tae-han Min-guk (republic of korea) is a pretty awesome place. If you like pc games you will be in heaven. Try to find one of the stadiums where they play huge lan games of Starcraft, and other pc games, it really is something to see.

Well, I am 20, so, 1 year underage in the US… and I don’t do any drinking anyway, but thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly, you are only allowed to buy one bottle of an alcoholic beverage? So the beer companies make huge bottles? Hmmm… I will need a picture of that!

I do play some computer games… but stadiums of LAN games are more than a bit extreme. That would be odd to witness.

Actually, your only allowed to bring one bottle with you, from outside, so thats why they make them huge

• @LHoffman:

@allboxcars:

I am entirely envious of you.

I think it is a great opportunity, so I didn’t want to pass it up. The only place outside the US I have been is Canada (many times)… but that doesn’t really count in my opinion. No offense Dylan, but Canada and the US are just about the same in terms of land forms and relative closeness to home.

I hope it is a good time. I’d like to bring a few of you guys with me… then we can play a couple games of AA in our spare time.

We have Tim Horton’s based on a cool hockey player
    We have Canada Dry pop.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m