Lybia
    Ethiopia
    Somalia

i think that those are all of them but i’m not sure, i think they had
    some territories in europe but not of much importance
    but i still want to their names, if there are some

help will be appreciated

• Deleted as asked, Ingnore this post by Vanmaster

• I don’t know in which year you want to start, but Italy they occupied Greece later on.

• Founder TripleA Admin

VanMaster, your post was problem lost after the incident.

If you can remember, I’d think it would be great if you would repost.

Thanks.

• Sorry, I didn’t hear of this, I was gone for a long bit of time. I never relizied that. Thank you for telling me.

It would be a good Idea to split Italy in half to allow for better income production…

N. Italy 6
    S. Italy 4
    Algeria 1
    Greece 2
    Yugoslavia 2
    Lybia 2
    Somalia 1
    Ethiopia 1
    Tunisia 1

Total 20 IPC’s…

GG

• N. Italy 6
    S. Italy 4
    Algeria 1
    Greece 2
    Yugoslavia 2
    Lybia 2
    Somalia 1
    Ethiopia 1
    Tunisia 1

Germany took Greece, while Italy tried to first invade it and got pushed back into Albania. Germany also took Yugoslavia under operation “retribution” which was to punish the new government from throwing out the former pro german leadership. In fact it was just about to turn into another Germany minor ally untill the coup.

Algeria was vichy french and under german occupation

Somalia and Ethiopia were conquered by british forces in 1941 long before the game starts…

Tunisia was also vichy french

Im sorry to burst the ideas you made but it totally ignores what actually transpired… Id just make values for the remaining territories and Germany might be able to give some aid to Il Duce since Italian forces fight with germans in the Soviet Union and Afrika. Probably about 5 IPC at best.

The other route is to boost the value of italy itself.

• It’s true that Italy didn’t exactly successfully overtake much on its own. So, historically, Italy wouldn’t make a very significant world power in 1942, compared to the other five.

However, I totally love the idea of being able to play Italy. I have about six buds I play games with (nerds!), and when we get out A&A only five of us can play.

I don’t know much about the Italian economy of the time, but here’s an idea: give Italy a similar situation as USA. Have them start with very few territories and very little on the board. I’d make two or three territories out of the Italian peninsula (and surrounding), and have them hold most of Italy’s value. If you were going for 20 IPC, you could make it something like… 5ipc, 5ipc, and 6ipc for the capitol.

Then you could price two more territories at 2 each. I’d definitely make Sicily its own territory, worth 2. The United States Rangers went through hell to invade Sicily, and A&A traditionally lumps Sicily in with the entire Italian invasion. That works, but this might be more fun.

For your last territory, I don’t know. Keep asking the history buffs. This is just an idea. Just keep in mind if you seperate Germany into Germany & Italy, you should probably balance out the Axis economy as a whole.

This might make Italy a challenging team to play as. They’d be weak in economy, weak in troops! But if you played with it, I’m sure you could give Italy a strategic point in the game. Like in the old game when Britain’s purpose was simply thorning at Germany’s side, and when ignored, Britain would bring the whole thing down.

• Go over to http://triplea.sourceforge.net/ where they have a variant called “Pact of Steel” that basically does exactly what you want. It has rules and all.

• To accurately portray the italians in A&A you would have to make some modifications.

Italians can’t build tanks
    Italian infantry never attack, but when attacked they get the “flee” option where they roll to see if they can retreat
    The med transport gets sunk every turn
    The med battleship turns into a fishing boat
    Italian planes fly one square, and crash at the end of every battle because they have no way to land
    Italian infantry pieces are portrayed with thier hands up in the air, the command and control unit gets a white flag
    For every italian infantry in combat, you need a german infantry with them to force them to fight (at gun point).
    Roll a die every turn, on a 1 southern eurupe comes under allied control because the Italians surrendered.

Italians were pretty much a joke in WW2, even worse than the French. The only “country” they really conqured on thier own was etheopia. Think it was Churchill who said this when they did “Italy has conqured a country that no one in the civilized world has wanted to occupy since the Roman empire”. Or something to that effect.

There was a movie with Nicholos Cage I saw that explains it pretty well. Cage plays an Italian officer in Greece during WW2. When Greece surrenders, the local government refuses to surrender to the Italians. They made sure that there was a German officer there for it to be formal. After surrendering to the German officer, the greek turns to Cage and says “I would have rathered surrendered to his dog than to you”.

• The name of Ethiopia at that time was Abyssinia! Here are some maps of WWII that can help.
    :wink:
    http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/WW2Index/picindexmaps.html

• 2007 AAR League

u missed albania, tehy had a foothold tehre also

• @Zooey72:

To accurately portray the italians in A&A you would have to make some modifications.

Italians can’t build tanks
    Italian infantry never attack, but when attacked they get the “flee” option where they roll to see if they can retreat
    The med transport gets sunk every turn
    The med battleship turns into a fishing boat
    Italian planes fly one square, and crash at the end of every battle because they have no way to land
    Italian infantry pieces are portrayed with thier hands up in the air, the command and control unit gets a white flag
    For every italian infantry in combat, you need a german infantry with them to force them to fight (at gun point).
    Roll a die every turn, on a 1 southern eurupe comes under allied control because the Italians surrendered.

Italians were pretty much a joke in WW2, even worse than the French. The only “country” they really conqured on thier own was etheopia. Think it was Churchill who said this when they did “Italy has conqured a country that no one in the civilized world has wanted to occupy since the Roman empire”. Or something to that effect.

There was a movie with Nicholos Cage I saw that explains it pretty well. Cage plays an Italian officer in Greece during WW2. When Greece surrenders, the local government refuses to surrender to the Italians. They made sure that there was a German officer there for it to be formal. After surrendering to the German officer, the greek turns to Cage and says “I would have rathered surrendered to his dog than to you”.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good posting!

Italia sucked more than any other country in ww2.

@Imperious:

Im sorry to burst the ideas you made but it totally ignores what actually transpired… Id just make values for the remaining territories and Germany might be able to give some aid to Il Duce since Italian forces fight with germans in the Soviet Union and Afrika. Probably about 5 IPC at best.

The other route is to boost the value of italy itself.

IL, the original post stated :okay i’m going to build a bigger map of axis and allies that will include Italy

which doesn’t necessarily start in the spring of 1942…

• IL, the original post stated :okay i’m going to build a bigger map of axis and allies that will include Italy

which doesn’t necessarily start in the spring of 1942…

The response did not have anything to do with those issues, but rather to set the record straight on Italys glorious conquests which only included abbyssinia and Italian east Afrika which latter got taken back by brits.

Only lybia,sicilly, sardinia, Italy, Albania and those two colonies named above along with about a 10 mile “zone” of southern french territory were the legacy of the New Roman Empire. Its a good idea to build them in the game but they have to be weak economically but somewhat strong militarily. Their navy was pretty balanced, only no oil to move the ships around so they were largely stuck in ports. They had a large army which should be well represented. They allways tried to bite more than they could chew was the basic problem from the get go. Il duce and his pride in the shadow of competition from his more sucessful northern ally was his undoing. Not to mention poor leadership and appointments of military leadership. If they were led by Germans and trained in Germany they would have had more sucess to be sure.

• My fault for being lazy. Yes there were more Italian “conquests” during the war. But I thought it funny that the Italians took etheopia. And to give credit where credit is due. Some Italian units fought bravely in Africa. Not through (or for) thier own government, but by the example of Rommel. The man was an inspiration to them as well as the Germans who fought.

I used to play a comp game that illustrated the Italian military very correctly. I got the hugest kick out of building up thier tech and having them march into moscow. The friend I played was not as good as I was. The only thing better than beating him… was to have him be defeated by the Italians lol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m