German Stratagy: pincher movement

• One thing I do love about this game is that it allows (to some degree) battles of manoeuvre to a much greater extent than the original could ever provide. So, I’ve been toying with an idea for the Germans: What if they took The Baltic States and Bessarabia on their first turn? This would serve to make the Russians pick one of about four choices on this front, instead of the ussual dozen or so. They could either withdraw from East Poland, attack either the Baltic States or Bessarabia, or they could attempt to reinforce East Poland. What ever they choose, Germany will have the advantage: if they attack either of your new conquests then they have a somewhat less than fair chance of getting it and the Russians have a much weaker defense elsewhere. If they reinforce East Poland you can either completly surround it or crash in on it from either flank. If they withdraw then you basicly get a free territory and you have the initiative. I’m wondering what you people think of it

Note: I plan on attacking Leningrad with an infantry and artillery, buying another transport and moving more troops to Africa, and keeping the american fleet as weak as possible with constant wolfpacks offshore.

• hmm, interesting idea. Where would you put your 12$?

• The cash advance would go to buying another transport for the Mediterranean so I can get twice as many troops into Afica from the first turn; then I use the remaining four IPCs for an artillery in Finland. I only do this becuase in many games I have found myself wishing that i had Vyborg when it came time to attack Leningrad.

• hai
    sounds like a goodstat.
    but what do you do with the eng. med fleet??
    i mean, you’ll have to attack it, and it will be expensive to do it only with fighters(no good idee iff you ask me), or when you do it with you bat. and/or dest.
    just a question to get a better picture….

gtz Nils…

• I don’t really worry about that fleet. It is really very useless and it will it it’s just desserts in due time. It really doesn’t matter that the transport can move troops from throughout the middle east to Egypt more quickly than they would other wise be able to because by the time German has enough troops in Africa to take Egypt the infantry would have gotten to Egypt anyway. I don’t see it as a large problem (as long as you keep some troops in the Balkands while the transports around) so it’s not a major priority.

• On 2002-03-01 22:31, bossk wrote:
    The cash advance would go to buying another transport for the Mediterranean so I can get twice as many troops into Afica from the first turn; then I use the remaining four IPCs for an artillery in Finland. I only do this becuase in many games I have found myself wishing that i had Vyborg when it came time to attack Leningrad.

are you using a transport in the baltic to do that?

• I could use the transport to try and take Leningrad on the first turn, but I think it’s almost useless that early. Of course if I still had the transport around when I launch the final assualt I would use it.

• Is this a full blown attack on Russia, or will you try and make the "War in the Atlintic " go little longer by making more subs. Just wondering. What is your defense plan to fight the up-comming D-DAY invasion.

• As Germany I like to keep as much covered as I possibly can. In some casees I get caught over-extending but I must try otherwise someone will eventually get the upper hand on me. I buy an occasional sub or two (target for every other turn, doesn’t always work that way), and I try to maintain subs off the coast of the US to hinder fleet building. I also send the sporatic infantry into France and Belgium while keeping a nice garrison of fighters there to defend and for anti-shipping. This seems grueling while fighting the russians and maintianing the action in Africa, that is why it’s so great being Germany.

• On 2002-04-19 21:00, waraxis wrote:
    Is this a full blown attack on Russia, or will you try and make the "War in the Atlintic " go little longer by making more subs. Just wondering. What is your defense plan to fight the up-comming D-DAY invasion.

go all russia.

Does this work? Instead of spending the ipcs to defend both parts of norther france, why not just put reserves in the middle of france, so you can counter-attack the beachheads with a non-split force?

• It’s personal preferance, I think, that I like my forces in France split. That way I can keep France if they land with insignificant forces (to take IPCs) and I can take it back if they land with more substantial numbers.

• IF YOU PLAN TO ATTACK LENINGRAD IN ROUND 2 WITH 2UNITS THINK AGAIN. THE SOVEITS CAN BUY OR MOVE PLENTY OF POWER INTO THE REGION. AS TO YOUR (AND EVERYBODY ELSES) STRATEGY TO HOLD EUROPE IS WITHOUT A LARGE FORCE OFFSHORE SHELLING CAN KNOCK THE PISS OUT OF YOU BEFORE YOU EVER SEE THAT SINGLE TRANSPORT COMING TO TAKE FRANCE. THE KEY IS COUNTER ATTACK AND MOBILITY AND WITHOUT IT THE GERMAN’S WILL DO AS THEY DID IN HISTORY. THE GAME IS SLANTED AGAINST MOBILITY THOUGH THIS VERSION HAS MADE STRIDES. ONE LAST NOTE THEY KEY TO ALL MILITARY VICTORY LIES IN THE EFFECTIVE USE OF COMBINED ARMS.

• Bessarabiaersonally don’t like Bessarabia because it has no statigic ability on my first turn i wipe them out of there with tanks and planes then pull them all out. i may leave 1 troop. this way if the take it on there next turn they will have to weaken the forces of another surrounding country leaving that desirable weak spot. but if u use it unless ur plainning an attack it is a waste of resources to defend cause that 1 troop will slow down their advance to tell what is going to happen next.
    Peace

• With your starting 12 IPCs, build one artillery and a transport for the Baltic. Then, you should easily be able to take it with the support of a couple fighters. Make sure you attack Vyborg as well, so that if you lose Leningrad, you can push those in.
    Also, a bold move that will prevent the Allies from stopping you too soon is to use all of your subs to take convoys. Then the British and navies will want to take those back before attempting to fight you. Btw, that makes America lose 10 IPCs and Britain lose 15 IPCs, as well as Russia losing 4. So really limits them at first. Won’t last, but is a major handicap.

• Yo. You need to look at date of last post. 21 years ago. If new we’ll come to site

• @general-6-stars wow 21 years. I think that’s a record lol

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m