FRANCE and ANZAC COMBAT DICE - HELP us design them!

• Now that I have the physical pieces in front of me, and now that I can see that there is a blue border around the new WotC ANZAC roundel and that the ANZAC color has at least a tannish tinge to it, I’m starting to soften a little be in my opposition to it.  I think that if you make that blue border a stronger, clearer blue that matches the Canadian and UK roundels, that it could be OK as a theoretical symbol to sub for both kangaroo and kiwi… At the same time, if you do for the ANZAC’s what you did for the Italians (Change the color enough so that it isn’t so easily confused with the German grey, like you changed the Italian brown a little to distinguish it from the Soviet brown) I think that could work, too.  (It’s odd, because it seems to depend on the lighting… sometimes the new ANZAC’s look very grey to me, sometimes almost more tannish/ greyish brown.)  In any case, if you make them more definitely tannish or brownish and less greyish, I think that will do the trick.  (The border shading on the box for the ANZAC’s might be a good color to try… it’s kind of close, but definitely looks less greyish…)

• '10

Thank you all.  We have decided to use the AAP40 roundel.

I will post when I have more news or pictures.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Thanks for sticking with the P40 roundel. I think it’s best for consistency sake.

As for the dice, if you make the ANZAC dice the same pewter colour as the pieces, could you change the German dice to black?

Another option is the Brits were once moulded in a very faint green colour that I’ve been using as ANZAC for some time. I don’t recall which game had the greenish pieces (someone help out), but that would be an OK colour to go with too. Think of a very pale Chinese piece. I agree with the others that white is not the best as we should use white for the neutrals.

• '10

@Variable:

Thanks for sticking with the P40 roundel. I think it’s best for consistency sake.

As for the dice, if you make the ANZAC dice the same pewter colour as the pieces, could you change the German dice to black?

Another option is the Brits were once moulded in a very faint green colour that I’ve been using as ANZAC for some time. I don’t recall which game had the greenish pieces (someone help out), but that would be an OK colour to go with too. Think of a very pale Chinese piece. I agree with the others that white is not the best as we should use white for the neutrals.

The problem is we can’t change the GERMANY dice, they are already made and I still have about 5000 of them in my shop!

We may adjust the ANZAC colour slightly…  just as we did with ITALY dice.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Variable:

The problem is we can’t change the GERMANY dice, they are already made and I still have about 5000 of them in my shop!

We may adjust the ANZAC colour slightly…  just as we did with ITALY dice.

How about a very pale green or very pale grey then? Almost white, but not quite…

• Customizer

I think changing ANZAC to a truer “dark Tan” (as the rulebook claims they are) would be best rather than keeping the current gray pewter colored piece. Dark tan also helps to identify their affiliation with the UK. (Im thinking of a color just a shade lighter than the ANZAC box)

• Yes, I agree; I’m coming more and more to the conclusion that a slight color change is best (for both the blue in the roundel and the “dark tan” of the pieces) for FMG, much as I’d personally prefer a complete color/ roundel change for both countries.

But, why oh why did WotC have to choose such odd colors in the first place!  Don’t they ever listen to their customer base?  I’ve read through old posts on Larry Harris’s web forum and the customers there seem to all be saying “do the Italians in a light grey…”  If only the colors they’d chosen for Italy and ANZAC were reversed…

But what can you do.  And at least WotC’s color and piece blunders provide an opportunity for you to tweek them, FMG!  That’s the silver lining here… All hail FMG for listening to their customers!  That’s the virtue of capitalism… when big, bureaucratic companies fail to listen to their customer base, it provides opportunities for smaller, more responsive ones.  And personally, FMG, I really hope it’s a big enough opportunity for you guys to get rich off of it!

• I say keep it OOB colors, but once you got entire sets made, THEN introduce alternate colors in limited prints.

Everything has to be OOB in terms of scale and color.

• Problem 1: ANZAC Color.

White is no good, because it would fit neutral units better.  Also, forget grey.  Germany is grey.

How about dark green? (like the marine dark green for AAP?)  Or how about a light, sandy-brown color?  Or a dark brown.  For me, I think brown when I think ANZAC, but a green could work, too.  The problem is both Italy and US have those colors, repectively.  Oh well, dealing in shades of brown or green is better that shades of grey.  Or…perhaps make ANZAC black?

2. The Roundel

The AAP40 roundel is pretty cool, but what about a combination, say: 6 dice; 2 ANZAC logo, 2 Kangaroo, 2 Kiwi bird, all same color?  It’s a pain for the factory, but would be really cool.

• the colors of the dice and new FMG pieces should be as close a match as possible to the colors used in AA. if you cant tell the difference between Russia and Italy and now Germany and ANZAC then do “home modification” to help tell them apart.
    i compared my germans(original) to the new ANZAC units and i can tell them apart based on color alone, same goes for AA:50 Russian and Italians.
    FMG-
    Your on the right path so far, dont alter from whats worked to date.
    Thoes426 :evil:

• W/ FMG, you can tell the differnec, since USSR is red, not maroon

• Hey FMG. When will you decide?

• I think it’s important that the roundel on the dice matches the roundel on the game board

What colour the ANZAC troop/dice get is not that important as long as
    i) they can easily be distinguished from the other nations(including the grey Germans of course)
    ii) the dice and pieces are of the SAME colour

• My game didn’t come with a banzai cat :-D

• '10

@Brain:

Hey FMG. When will you decide?

We are working on a few samples now.  Hope to have some visuals soon…  then it will be easier to make a decision.

• Can’t wait to see the samples.

• Customizer

Being colour blind (red-brown-green) I find there are too many nations using colours in this spectrum. I gave up on “classic” A&A for years because of the UK/Japan colour clash.

My ideal scheme is:

US - green
    UK - tan
    SU - brown
    (CCP - red)
    (KMT - turquoise)
    (F - mid blue)

G - black/dark grey
    I - light grey
    J - white
    (VF - light blue)

As I understand it, ANZAC will not be a separate nation in global, so a clash with grey or brown is irrelevant.

I also question the need for neutrals in a separate colour; all these units will do is sit there until attacked, in which case they cease to be neutral…

Better for them to be in the same colours as the big six, with a limited mix of mainly infantry with a few fighters, artillery, tanks and destroyers in each colour.

The use for these pieces would be that by colour they are easily identified as part of that greater power’s forces, but they can be distinguished for separate rules such as being less reliable in certain situations.

So, how much more of a hassle is it to produce a set of Japanese in white than in “Sunrise Orange”?

• In my opinion the rondel fit with de Anzac the dice too its simple. The dice not match = - sale for you. The big majority of people buy your dice for AA. Not for another game

• If possible, I would personally prefer the kiwi for the ANZAC Combat Dice.
    Just my two cents on the subject……

• OK so what about going with the British tan colour but black or red pips (and obviously the ANZAC roundel) to distinguish them?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m