• In classic my favorite was the USA, UK and Russia, and in Revised, my favorite was Russia.  In AA50 it would have to be the UK, China, and Japan.  What do YOU think?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

Germany, Japan and Russia in that order.
    Why…´cos that´s were the action is. :-D

• picked US, russia and italy

the problem is with axis that i find them boring
    germany with its 10 production can like only build 10 tanks each round, japan has no resistance due to its strenght.

gimme chains, inf stacks and africa domination! :)

• @Frontovik:

picked US, russia and italy

the problem is with axis that i find them boring
    germany with its 10 production can like only build 10 tanks each round, japan has no resistance due to its strenght.

gimme chains, inf stacks and africa domination! :)

That’s interesting.  I’m glad I made this poll.  Let’s see what other responses come in…

• @gamerman01:

In classic my favorite was the USA, UK and Russia, and in Revised, my favorite was Russia.  In AA50 it would have to be the UK, China, and Japan.  What do YOU think?

I chose these countries for various reasons.  I like Japan in this game because they’re set up to dominate with no enemy production facilities anywhere nearby.  Also, I love carriers and fighters and they start with plenty.
    But I also like China, of course for very different reasons.  I love the chance to place units in many different places.  I like not having to worry about what to buy!  And it’s fun to be the underdog, with the chance to make your country impervious to enemy attack eventually!
    I can’t believe Russia didn’t crack my top 3, but it didn’t.  I like the UK for their worldwide presence.  But the biggest thing I like about the UK is focusing on Germany and making her life miserable.  It’s great to focus on an enemy who’s focused on someone else!!  It’s also great to be able to hit them anywhere from Karelia to Norway to Poland to Germany, France, Italy, jeez - there’s just so many targets close by!

• I went with:

Japan-I am a big fan of naval power and their situation allows for some fun and creative manuvering (and they historically had interesting units). Also, the game situates them so you need to make some inportant choices on where to focus your strength (lots of variation)

UK-Very similar thoughts with Japan. The challange is prtecting a vast empire all the while having a very significant fight close to home.

Italy-Something new is always exciting. While initially limited there is potential for some game changing manuvers. Of course they start with a nice little fleet.

• as i only play with the allies ,i like the british…they are the wildcard in the whole allied game.

• Welcome to axisandallies.org, supreme allied commander.  Here’s a +1 karma to get you started off on the right foot.

• This may be the 1st AA game where each power is very interesting to play in it’s own right.  Classic and revised both America and Russia were kind of boring.

That being said in all the games so far including this one, The UK is my favorite to play.  It seems to be one of the more diverse powers, though in some games if things go bad she can be irrelevant by T2.

After that it is fun to play Italy, I like the dynamic and concept of being a “minor” power that has significant consequenses to the game as well as being a naval power.  It would be nice if China could have been implemented to the game as well as Italy.

Japan would be my least favorite power to play (not including China) as it is sort of a “gimme power”, in that there just is no major threat or opponent in most cases; yes it can be delayed and harrased semi-effectivly, but not at the peril of putting signifiant game breaking damage to the Japanase empire. Essentially the worst that can happen to her is preventing a super power from become a super duper power.

• @dondoolee:

Japan would be my least favorite power to play (not including China) as it is sort of a “gimme power”, in that there just is no major threat or opponent in most cases; yes it can be delayed and harrased semi-effectivly, but not at the peril of putting signifiant game breaking damage to the Japanase empire. Essentially the worst that can happen to her is preventing a super power from become a super duper power.

Thanks for your post.  I agree with your Japan assessment especially for 1941, but in a current game I’m playing by forum (against Omega and friends) Japan got completely dismantled in the first 3 turns, mostly by dice, but also from the full attention of US bombers and fleet.  I often give close to full attention to Japan with the US in the first few turns, and it causes major problems.  (Talking about 1942 start)
    Like you said, (especially for 1941) it’s a question of whether Japan is a super power or super duper power.  I won a game (by forum) recently where it was Japan vs. the world, and the world lost (1941 start).

• @gamerman01:

@dondoolee:

Thanks for your post.  I agree with your Japan assessment especially for 1941, but in a current game I’m playing by forum (against Omega and friends) Japan got completely dismantled in the first 3 turns, mostly by dice, but also from the full attention of US bombers and fleet.  I often give close to full attention to Japan with the US in the first few turns, and it causes major problems.  (Talking about 1942 start)
    Like you said, (especially for 1941) it’s a question of whether Japan is a super power or super duper power.  I won a game (by forum) recently where it was Japan vs. the world, and the world lost (1941 start).

Haha, I have lost as World to Japan Vs World a few times.  I have also seen a few games where you would think Japan has been crippled to the point where it should be irrelevant, only to be Godzilla in a couple of turns.  And it is semi common for me to seemingly bring the game to an apparent dead even halt/ seemingly endless grind of a game as the allies; everytime this happens though, guess which power ends up breaking it and the Allies chances of winning with it?  Though I have also seen Japan make stupid mistakes or get AWFUL dice which effectivly takes it out of the game.  The best was when the US Battleship, Phil Des/Tranny survived at the cost of 1 loaded jap tranny, BB, 5 Fig as well as a couple Japanese failed mainland attacks.

There is a pretty interesting thread going on now about stalling Japan in which I threw some of my methods and philosophy in dealing with her. The thread as a whole is a good read for anyone interested in picking up a few ideas about Japan.

If there is a CONSISTENT way of appling a KJF strat I am completley unaware of it, I would be interested in any links to games or threads where such a strat is employed.

But for me, I think it is much more fun being a power to deal with Japan than Japan itself.  Japan is just too big and powerful  (once the game basics are learned anyway)to be fun.  Also, I am not much of a '42 player to make that informed a decision on anything.

• It’s interesting how Japan received so much votes. Probably it’s due being overpowered and some people simply just want stomp opponents without thinking too much

In Revised the most voted usually were Germany and USA (the richer ones). See a pattern? I never take Japan if I can avoid it in FTF, it’s just too easy to be fun (specially in 1941). I prefer UK or USA (with their Coyote friends of ACME China  :-P) and maybe Italy (that only in PBEM, I love their short turns)

• @Funcioneta:

It’s interesting how Japan received so much votes. Probably it’s due being overpowered and some people simply just want stomp opponents without thinking too much

In Revised the most voted usually were Germany and USA (the richer ones). See a pattern? I never take Japan if I can avoid it in FTF, it’s just too easy to be fun (specially in 1941). I prefer UK or USA (with their Coyote friends of ACME China  :-P) and maybe Italy (that only in PBEM, I love their short turns)

Uh huh - very good points.  Thanks for your post, and you too dandolee - +1 to both.
    Yes, it’s always nice to have your power all set up to trample your opponents from turn 1 as opposed to, say, the USA who needs several turns of planning and intelligent play, typically.  In short, people don’t want to have to THINK too much, don’t want to have an immediate threat, and want to stomp opponents!  (I’m assuming)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

Assume all you want  :-)

I think Japan is crucial to the axis war effort. If they don´t perform to the max Germany
    might have fallen before you can start trampling again. And I like a big navy with lotsa ways to go.

And in my current FTF game Japan is almost annihilated,  without Germany getting the upperhand in Russia. So they can be stopped.

• You’re right.  +1 and thanks for the post!

• Blitzkrieg, Need I say more.

• I prefer Germany as axis and Russia as allies.

The war is really decided between theses 2.

• @Corbeau:

I prefer Germany as axis and Russia as allies.

The war is really decided between theses 2.

I agree, whoever wins the Eastern Front of Germany usually wins the game.  +1 to you

• I chose Germany/Italy combo if I’m axis. I like the way you can use these two powers together. I like to look for other strats then just try to take out Russia. Some games I try to keep pressure on Russia, but I’ll build navy/air just to see what kind of trouble I can give the UK/US.
    If I’m allies I like the UK. Cuz I like the challenge and all those choices. UK also seems to have the hardest time getting its NO’s, at least early on.

• I voted much differently from most.

Russia
    The USSR can actually put up a fight in this version, while it does take some mental shift from the old buy all infantry of some earlier versions. In AA50 Russia can put credible pressure on Germany or a decent defense up in Asia.

Italy
    While Italy may not have the money to spend to buy all kinds of snazzy stuff, I find that how Italy is played can be the game decider in many games.

USA
    In my opinion another game decider. While the US may not be in the thick of the fray and fighting battles in every round like Germany and Russia, its play can have a drastic affect on the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m