ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game

• @surfer said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@arthur-bomber-harris @crockett36 I would think that if you want community input, you’d have to agree to a slower pacing than a normal game. I believe the original idea was to have a proposed move by the nominal Allied leader. Give the community a set # of days to reply with comments. Conduct combat. Propose NCM and get any inputs. Then finalize move.

Yes this is a slow process, but the positive is that you allow time for multiple viewpoints and you allow others to “buy-in” to the Allied push and be involved.

The alternative is for @crockett36 to just play and get feedback on his moves, but this will result in the problems you saw in the last tutor game where everyone else feels like their inputs were not able to be provided in a manner to affect the outcome of the game. Thus they will either respond critically to moves that they would not have made, or just not bother to provide anymore input.

I think this is part of it.

I also think the point of a tutor game is to tutor those watching rather than those playing. In other words, the two people involved should be explaining after their moves what they did and why they did it. So those who need to learn strategy can see the thought process play out in real time.

This instead is as you put it. The community of those providing thoughts or input, but slowly. And not always with the best moves or in line with the overall strategy.

• @surfer said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@crockett36 Regarding the proposed move, I’m mostly in favor.
    Buy = 12 inf. Good
    Stack Yunnan. As discussed, initially devastating to Japan
    Retreating Siberian forces from Japanese first strike. Good
    Move Russian forces to Eastern front. Good.
    Since Germany doesn’t have a DD, placing the sub in SZ125, I like.
    Block with the Cruiser in SZ114. Yes
    Mech and Tank in Sikang. Good. Allows for defense Turn 2.

I don’t think I would commit the second tank and mech. Leave them for the Eastern Front. Yunnan has a good chance of holding Turn 2 with the above forces, and then the UK can help out in Yunnan Turn 3. Thus no need for additional Russian forces.
    However, they could be helpful. So I’m not sure.

The fighter should go to Moscow. It can fly to Yunnan if needed (probably will), but has more flexibility and defense there.
    Dont sort of stack Yunnan. If that is the call then go all in with additional Russians. You should be landing UK forces to take out the Germans where possible and eliminate all remaining axis navy.

You have a tremendous starting bid and opportunity to put pressure immediately and force ABH to play real conservative.

• @squirecam well you bring up a good point that should be decided by the two main players @Arthur-Bomber-Harris and @crockett36
    Do they want to play amongst themselves and provide commentary of their thoughts, where the community can be free to add? Or play slower game with full community input?

Both options have pros and cons.

I feel the first game between @AndrewAAGamer and @trulpen was option#2, and the last game with @Arthur-Bomber-Harris and @crockett36 became option #1. Because more people could influence the game, I think more strategy was shared in option #1 with wider viewpoints. But it is slower.

Ultimately, I’m not playing the game, and so has to be decided by those who are.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Ugh, i meant option #2 has more input… community vs abh.

• @surfer I’ve assumed the community was going to advise me. Sort of staff officers. The flash point last game was a North pacific strategy that I was trying to make happen.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• Japan’s up.

• @crockett36 While I agree with the move, and since the Russians don’t get to attack, not much will change. But I would suggest that if you want community input, as a general rule, you give at least 2 days for people to provide their inputs before finalizing a move.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Will do. I’ll try to be exact with deadlines.

• Japan 1.tsvg
    I was torn on the strategy for Japan as I have not faced this level of bid before. If there had been just a little more spending on the Asia side, I would have abandoned mainland China completely and done a J1 DOW, taking Philippines and pushing towards the Money Islands on J2.

Instead, I think I have enough forces to force a retreat from Yunnan this round and perhaps be able to hold it on J3. It is quite a costly push to get that single territory.

• With so much bid, Russia plus China should have been able to hold on to Yunnan on J2. That would have been a devastating blow to the Axis as Japan’s economy would have matched by China+India+ANZAC, freeing up the United States to focus 100% on Germany. It would likely have been game over as the overwhelming spending makes finding a winning strategy impossible. A few more Russian tanks and fighters bought in the bid and on R1 would have ensured an early surrender.

• @crockett36 I noticed that my Germany infantry/Arts/AA guns failed to move to SlovakiaHungary on G1. I need them to reach Bessarabia on G3 so this blunder is quite impactful. Is it okay to edit them?

No problem if you want to change any of the Russian forces in response or redo R1/J1 if this is going to be very impactful.

• @arthur-bomber-harris go for it. I assumed an error.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

USA is up peeps. I assume 2 carriers 2 destroyers and an infantry for purchase. Split placement?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I prefer to buy 2 CV + 1 DD + SS. Place everything but the DD on the Pacific side. The DD protects the Atlantic fleet from the lone German sub.

Probably, the Axis will wait as long as possible to bring the US in the war since Japan did not DOW. Thus, expect 3 turns of nothing for the US. The Pacific is a bigger theater and will take more time to move units out. So buying everything over there now will allow us to be be in a fighting position sooner.

In Europe, the US will be focused initially on the Med, Italy (if weak) and Normandy. All are close and easy to engage from the EUS.

Move sb to WUS as it can hit all targets from there. Move all fighters and ships to Hawaii. Let the Hawaii transport go back to bring 2 more units to Hawaii next round.

Run from the Philippines. Since all of J Fleet in SZ36, the US forces can stack in SZ54.
    In fact, because no threat on SZ54 nor Hawaii, we could take the transport with 2 inf to SZ54 as well to have invasion force. But leaves Hawaii less defended, and since planning on J3 DOW, it doesn’t really gain anything.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I like all that with a caveat: what if we do pure air builds in Australia and put them on the 3 US carriers As soon as we have both a three plane scramble and six for the US flat tops. US air can ferry back to Hawaii as needed.

What I’m proposing is what I’m calling extreme integration or extreme cooperation. We could do the same in the Atlantic, providing carriers for the British. Just a small innovation.

The key is to never spend an ipc on an Australian ground unit

• updated with German edits Japan 1b.tsvg

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

PROPOSEDUST1.tsvg debate ends Sunday after church e s t

• To clarify for your partners, are you proposing to have the India force stack in Yunnan to prevent a J2 attack, or do you plan to have those units get sacrificed to hurt the Japanese air force?

Without additional support besides three more russian units, I likely would lose 6 of the 22 planes that would participate (+44 TUV swing for the Axis), although dice could swing it drastically one way or another.

With the UK India units stacked in Yunnan, I would opt not to attack Yunnan on J2 and instead focus on other opportunities in the region as the unprovoked DoW keeps the US out of the war for a while longer.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I’m open to that. I don’t see a downside

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m