• Well im thinking that whole “Political Leader” thing should go because it makes things a bit to complicate.I want to keep the General/Admiral thing going aswell as the Supply pools,it makes you have to slow down your game and get ready for two or three turns in the future.

Im play testing as we speak with my buds so i will report back in an hour or so.

• @Cowboybob:

Well im thinking that whole “Political Leader” thing should go because it makes things a bit to complicate.I want to keep the General/Admiral thing going aswell as the Supply pools,it makes you have to slow down your game and get ready for two or three turns in the future.

Im play testing as we speak with my buds so i will report back in an hour or so.

well that was intresting to say the least.

I made the General/Admiral cards and we had three of each for each nation.I looked on the net for small pictures of the Generals and Admirals and glued them onto a 3X5 indexcard.

I had Erwin Rommel,Von Manstein,and Paulus for Germaney

I played a friend of mine,I was Axis he Allies,1941 setup no and techs

I gave Rommel infinite inishitive and 3o Risk,meaning he dosent have a limit on how maney rounds of combat he can make on one offensive.He was in comand of my German/Russian front and the way i could tell what units he was in command of i wrote down on a sheet of paper the territorys that were under his diristriction.I made a two pronged attack on the Russians caped Karilia and Baltic states and Ukrain turn 1.I put Paulus in command of the Garrison forces in Germaney,France,and Norway(because he has an Inishitive of only 5 and Risk of 15).And Von Manstein in command of the North Afrika corps.

Japan was doing text book manuvers in the pacific not much of any thing to speak of really.

Russia got bad dice rolls and fell on turn 4 and so Axis won by VC(Minor victory)

wel also implemented the Moral pool and it worked out nicely,as long as you keep a nice neat sheet of paper to keep track of it aswell as useing Generals/Admirals.

I shall be wanting to do supplylines next tommorow.

please see what you all can add/subtract from these things.

• i have been thinking about another system for general’s, each national power start’s the game with 3 general’s, each general has card’s, when a general complete’s certain objective’s , i.e. capture’s a victory city, that general can move up a level and recieves a new card that can be played, when the general reaches the next level, that general recieves another 2 card’s, although a maximum of 3 card’s can be played on a turn/2 turn’s, when the general is defeated they are replaced with a new general starting at the first level,
    i have not had an idea of what the 2 starting card’s would be, although i have for the 2nd level, defensive retreat, when the card is played the player can use defensive retreat, third level, 2nd offensive when attacking, a player that play’s this general card can use armor to attack the next territory, or blitz to take control, if it would be unoccupied or cleared by way of an air attack, the attacking player must declare what armor would be used during the offensive, and that armor could not be used for a non combat move,
    another 3rd level card could be the inspiration card that i wrote about in this thread,
    at most 3 card’s in play at a time, when the card is played the effect’s are resolved, the card stay’s in play for 2 turn’s

• yah, scratch political leaders, but lets work on Military leaders, I like the diferent attributes you have come up with, how many rounds of combat each leader can lead his men into, the amount of caaulaties that can be sustained, liklyhood of being able to make a second attack,

also, how about units not attaking with a leader can only attack for 1  round of combat

Each country should have a diffrent number of military leaders, each with their own paticular stats

For the national morale i think you need to look into a different system, otherwise people are not going to be able to build that much, also I would think the Soveit Union would have a much higher national morale that lets say the US. The Russians, took far more losses and went through much more pain yet still were very effective on the battlefeild. The Germans and the Japanese thought the west was soft and could be weakened by significant casulaties.

I think National morale should be respresented buy how many losses a nation can take before it pulls out of the war

On supply, your system seems very complex for such a simple thing, why not just have one type of supply that does everything, instead of three. you get basicly the same thing and it is still a really cool idea.

I think if we do all these changes right, then combine them with the a version of AARHE Lite that is compatible with AA50 we could slow down thegame a bit, instead of each turn representing 4-6 months, they would each represent a season. and once each turn represents a season it is going to be a lot easeir to introduce weather rules

I am going to try a game of AA50 with rules from AARHE Lite in the coming weeks, once i have three or four more game of reg AA50 under my belt. I will then try to implement some of you rules

Also, Imperious Leader, is this the right way to go about experimenting for AA50HE, using the fundemental concepts from AARHE and building ontop of that, or should we just start AA50HE from the ground up.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Tech needs to go back to being targeted like in Revised.  That will help ease the burden of SBRs.

• If tech is targeted should you have to declare which tech your researchers are for when you purcahse them, and should they then cost 10 or 15 IPCs?
    or maybe you need multiple breakthoughs depeding on the tech to develop it

You declare what technology you want to get, you declare how many rolls you want, and you only get to roll once.  If your man fails, you shoot him and have to hire a new guy at an additional 5 IPCs.

That way you don’t end up with America having 9 bombers and rolling Super Submarines when what he really wanted was Heavy Bombers!

• if you shoot you researchers shouldn’t subsequent reasearch rolls be more likely to succeed due to increased motivation :-D

I kind of like the new research rules though, where your researchers dont go away. I think we should incorporate them into targeted techs

• Well i have printed out 3 Generals for each Nation except Italy(I could not find a pitcture of Italian Generals so i got a picture of Mussolini who looks very much like Nicolas Cage) and ran a game with them,it seems like a good idea but it needs work.I do not want to make it to complicated because then people will say screw it and rip the cards after trying it.

I will playtest some more tonight and get back to you.the site was down for apart of the day i think.

• And where can i get my Board Laminated?  :?

It’s pissing me off getting a whole bunch of pizza/beer stains on it.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

I think National morale should be respresented buy how many losses a nation can take before it pulls out of the war

i like that idea, it could mean that the nationional power’s army would be disbanded, and there could be a scramble to take over the territories, and the national power could be reinstated, if a national power from the same alliance managed to retake enough territories to build up the national morale again,

national morale could be determined by losing a point for each unit that would be defeated, and for victory cities and territories that are captured, there could be a national resolve that could be used when morale reaches a critical level before capitulation of the nation, a siege mentality, where the national power could call upon hidden resources, i.e. emergency supplies in the form of i.p.c that could be used for a last stand (or not) against the invading forces,

morale could be boosted by capturing territories

• take total IPC divide by 10= national morale. Each territory you lose subtract one morale point

If you lose your capital you lose morale value of half the IPC value of territory, example losing Germany loses 5 morale points

If you go into negative numbers in any turn, you can face a collapse of your government. Roll one D6 using the modifier of negative net morale value and if the result is zero or negative, you have lost the game.

there done.

• I dont think national morale should be associated directly with IPC production, sure the US had the most resources and the largest econamy, but could they have withstood over a million causalties like the Germans and Soveits.

Everyone who reads this, the next game you play, see if you can count how many peices each sides losses
    and report back here

then we can figure out a historical and playable national morale for each nation

For each unit you lose, you lose one morale, + plus their will be other modifers and oppertunities to gain morale

when you morale hits zero, your nation must offer peace, the oppsing side can either accept or reject it. If they accept that nation surrenders and is treated as a neutral unless it is again attacked. the oppsing side can also reject peace and play continues as usaul

• I dont think national morale should be associated directly with IPC production

well IPC is directly related to how well a nation is doing, plus the US player has perhaps the greatest historical resolve to win the war and had the best morale. Rate the nations in rank according to how you feel they wanted to win the war and you will see a more or less correlation of this based on how many IPC they had.

for the axis Germany had the high morale

for the allies USA UK

least was Italy and possible the Soviets who could have lost it and had Russian units fighting against the Soviets!

• @Imperious:

take total IPC divide by 10= national morale. Each territory you lose subtract one morale point

If you lose your capital you lose morale value of half the IPC value of territory, example losing Germany loses 5 morale points

If you go into negative numbers in any turn, you can face a collapse of your government. Roll one D6 using the modifier of negative net morale value and if the result is zero or negative, you have lost the game.

there done.

Well this is sounding a hell of alot better then what i came up with.

So you would Divide by 10 for each Nation?,and if so where did the 10 come from?,or am i just not reading you right? :?

If we were to do some kind of morale I would have to say it would have to go more along balance lines and less about logical or historically accurate ones.

Perhaps:

+1 Morale for every National Objective your nation has completed (you’d have to make sure to track them even when it is not your nation’s turn, after all, if Italy completes a NO, then Germany would still get the +1, likewise if England gets France then America would get a +1 as well.)

+1 For every technological break through you have completed. (Hey, soldiers feel good knowing their equipment is better than the enemies!)

+1 For every three enemy territories conquered. (Only applies if you are attacking that specific enemy.  For instance, if Germany has Baltic States, East Poland and Ukraine, they would get +1 when attacking Russians.)

+1 For each victory city you control

-1 For each victory city you have lost

-1 For every three territories you have lost to the enemy currently attacking/defending against you (ie, if Germany had those three territories and you were attacking with Russia, you would incur the penalty.)

For every 6 morale points more than you have than your enemy, you get one automatic “kill” in the opening fire step of combat (ie they cannot return fire.)  Your defender chooses what unit is “killed” (read: runs away.)  The killed unit does not “die” but is relocated one territory to a friendly territory as if retreating. (note, if no valid territory exists to retreat to, the unit is removed from the board.  Basically, same rules as a submarine shooting a carrier out from under a fighter, it gets a chance to land, if it cannot, then it dies too.)

• @Imperious:

I dont think national morale should be associated directly with IPC production

well IPC is directly related to how well a nation is doing, plus the US player has perhaps the greatest historical resolve to win the war and had the best morale. Rate the nations in rank according to how you feel they wanted to win the war and you will see a more or less correlation of this based on how many IPC they had.

for the axis Germany had the high morale

for the allies USA UK

least was Italy and possible the Soviets who could have lost it and had Russian units fighting against the Soviets!

I dont see how that is true at all, if national morale is the resolve of the people, government, and the military to fight a war, then what shoes the US having the highest morale. I think the US player should have to think about all of his battles very carefully and determine what this would do for the home front. What do think would have happened if 1 million Americans were killed attacking Japan. What if 1 million Americans were killed and the attacked failed. Sure you might still control fifteen victory cities, but that is not how politicians are elected.

Just look at Korea, Veitnam, Iraq. the effect on National Morale by how many bombs you make or how well you do on the battlefeild, is dwarfed when compared too the lives that are being lost

Lets look at the Soveit Union. sure maybe they could have had a seperate peace when Stalin was having his mental breakdown during 41 or if Moscow was captured, and I argee the outcome of battles should have a big effect on national morale, but once the Russians started fighting back and Stalin made it clear that it was his goal to destroy Germany, the Russians were prepared to lose millions and millions, which they did.

Also stratigic bombing should have an effect on national morale

I agree, IPC production shouldn’t be part of the computation, but for a different reason than Taiki.

Morale should be linked to major objectives because that’s what the feet on the street would be looking at.  They wouldn’t give three shiites to the wind if Russia build 400 tanks if they lost Stalingrad!

• So you would Divide by 10 for each Nation?,and if so where did the 10 come from?,or am i just not reading you right?

yes so if Germany has 32 IPC they generated 3 national morale points that turn, but lets say the next turn they lose 3 spaces so they lose 3 MP, but have a new adjusted total of 28 IPC, so the new total is 2… of course a few first turns will be building up the points.

AS far as VC being used as National morale points… you can use this as your counting basis rather than the IPC divide by 10 thing but the allies will have the advantage and i feel the points generated for these VC would create too large a point total to ever get into negative.

I suppose you collect 1 point if you hold each turn and lose 3 points if its captured to compensate, but for modeling its entirely possible to capture lots of IPC and have no morale points to speak of. This is because the VC were not designed or assigned for any “morale rules” so it does not make an accurate model as would the general volume of conquests…again coming from IPC.

In rank of national resolve …e.g. Morale i rate the following order:

USA
    Germany
    UK
    Soviet Union / Japan about equal
    Italy

so if you look at IPC you see also that this ranking is more or less equivalent to the morale, so thats why i use that model

The other thing would be to add unigue military points to the map like Polesti oil fields, Tobruck, or Singapore because these have great impact of the war effort and national resolve… so the issue would be if you follow this method, you NEED to add more cities and rate them for both balance and what historically had an effect on the will to resist or fight.

Anyone know how to modify the map file in battlemap so you can edit the picture and have the space usable for toolpieces?

I fixed up the 1941 map, but no idea how to fix it so you can put flags on it!  ARGH!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m