• Boy, for us color challenged persons, even the above painted units are a challenge.

I like primary colors the best or at least colors which are very distinguishable from

each other.

Differences in shadings which are so subtle, make it very hard to play at times.

• @Constantinople:

Boy, for us color challenged persons, even the above painted units are a challenge.

I like primary colors the best or at least colors which are very distinguishable from

each other.

Differences in shadings which are so subtle, make it very hard to play at times.

I agree but I also think that’s what seperates this games units from the units in risk.

• It’s trying to get the right balance, I guess; between playability and verisimilitude.

• I agree with Constantinople.  From a distance Japan and UK’s units look the same color.

I much rather stick with British khaki and Japanese yellow.

• I personally don’t have a problem with the colours pictured, but I understand how some people might get confused.  Therefore, I think that FMG should keep this potential problem in mind when choosing colours in which to cast.  This is why I believe they should offer a variety of colours which can be chosen by the purchaser when ordering their molds (as Xeno games does); some people will want to match the current colours for whichever game editions they possess (as I will), others will want historical colours which match WWII-era uniforms, and others will want pretty much any colours which contrast deeply with each other.  A wide variety of interchangeable colours would certainly take care of this, and attract some customers who might otherwise hesitate to make a purchase - just something I believe should be kept in mind.

By the way, Black Fox, why doesn’t your painted Japanese fleet possess any CVL/CVEs (i.e. MB CV molds)? I don’t see one pictured in your image.

• talking about changing the colours of the units is all well and good, but you have to keep in mind that if we change the colours of a nation, then we have to replace every piece that nation comes with in the standard game (instead of just adding to)

• I like the colors.  If I didn’t, nothing a can of spray paint can’t fix.

• '10

By the way, Black Fox, why doesn’t your painted Japanese fleet possess any CVL/CVEs (i.e. MB CV molds)? I don’t see one pictured in your image.

AG124 - I somehow miss placed it when I took the picture.  Only to find it later in another box when I was putting it all way.

When I first started this project I intended copying the colors of the original A&A pieces with the exception of the Japanese since it’s colors were too close to the UK.  So I started to research Japanese uniform colors to find a good contrasting color.  This lead me to researching everyone else’s uniform.  It turns out that the original piece actually do a pretty good job matching those countries uniform colors.

Anyway, I found this Japanese Uniform paint, which is a Khaki/Green and it matches one type of Japanese uniform very well.  I really like this color and it makes a nice contrast.  With the UK I originally chose a Khaki color but it blended a little too well with the original A&A map colors so I chose a brown UK uniform color (commonly used in Europe).  With the US I decided on the Medium Green which I thought offered a better contrast.

Boy, for us color challenged persons, even the above painted units are a challenge.

Constantinople, for those of us who are not color challenged can you give us a better explanation of your problem.  For example what specifically about my colors are difficult for you.  I think this might be useful information for FMG.

I think that FMG should keep this potential problem in mind when choosing colours in which to cast.  This is why I believe they should offer a variety of colours which can be chosen by the purchaser when ordering their molds (as Xeno games does); some people will want to match the current colours for whichever game editions they possess (as I will), others will want historical colours which match WWII-era uniforms, and others will want pretty much any colours which contrast deeply with each other.  A wide variety of interchangeable colours would certainly take care of this, and attract some customers who might otherwise hesitate to make a purchase

I agree with AG124.  This would be the best solution for all if it is economically feasible to do.

From reading the post, there seems to be 2 primary camps.  Those that prefer military colors and those that prefer primary colors.  My choice of course would be for military colors.

Tin-Snip also makes a good point.  If FMG can not replace all the pieces then it would probably be best to match colors that are currently being used.  Not my first choice but perhaps the most practical.

• talking about changing the colours of the units is all well and good, but you have to keep in mind that if we change the colours of a nation, then we have to replace every piece that nation comes with in the standard game (instead of just adding to)

I believe FMG said that he’s looking to replace every unit type in A&A:50.  That doesn’t mean each country specific unit will get a unique mold (I think that’s impractical), but we’re getting replacements for every single unit, Tin Snips. ;)

While it would be nice to change the color of a country (like Italy), at this point it would be more reasonable to stick with what we were given.

If every country kept their colors EXCEPT for Italy, I would be more than happy.  Italy and Russia still look too much alike.

• @ TG Moses VI - Yes, this indeed what FMG is planning to do; replace the entire existing nation sets with new ones.  It remains to be seen how many of these new molds will be unique, and how many will have to be shared; FMG is obtaining a price quote first before relaying this information back to us.

@FieldMarshallGames:

…My Goal so far is the following:  (I am still working with factory on cost)

1. To make a FULL set for each Nation in AA50.  Better quality and greater quantity than provided in the stock game.  These can fully replace the stock units OR complement them.

2. To add two additional colors for expansions ie; BLUE for France and one other color with general sculpts to be used as Neutrals or other nation as required by expansion.

3. To add some new SPECIAL Expansion units to the game.  “Why would some one buy this?” Something new will give the set greater appeal to the general public and and help pay of the cost of the production investment.

@FieldMarshallGames:

…Once I get a decent quote on cost of this project I will finalize the unit types and numbers.

• we’ll just have to see if the goal is actually practical and affordable for FMG then. fingers crossed

• All I can say is that I hope FMG can afford quite a few new molds; I am trying to draft up a list with only 48 new molds, but I can’t get it down past 75 so far (and that is with such corner-cutting measures as cutting out unique molds for the entire Soviet navy, a Japanese halftrack and transport aircraft, and a lot of the Italian Navy). My list also assumes six new unit types; mechanized infantry/half track, rockets, commander, self-propelled artillery, transport aircraft, and bunker, shared molds for IC, AA, rockets, and bunker, and doesn’t include France and a neutral set. I just can’t cut it down much more without any sense of satisfaction. :-(

• I’m with you Craig.  :-D

• @TG:

If every country kept their colors EXCEPT for Italy, I would be more than happy.  Italy and Russia still look too much alike.

I’d be fairly happy with that colour arrangement too.  The brown used for Italy in AA50 isn’t easy to distinguish from the AA50 maroon/purple Russian pieces, and it causes even greater confusion once you start mixing in the dark brown Russian pieces from the original A&A edition and the brownish/olive-green US pieces from the same game.  My own preference for Italy would be light grey.  The colours used for the five main combatants in AA50 would be fine to keep as they are, but it might be a good idea to find another colour for the lime green AA50 Chinese infantry pieces.  Anything greenish will tend to be associated the US pieces.  This was the same problem that the lime green British pieces had in AA Revised: the sculpts were clearly British, but the colour was closer to the American medium green than the usual British tan.

CWO Marc

• Actually, I would go with a full spread of country specific parts for a power like France before coming up with things like leaders or fortifications, but that is just my opinion.

I could go for this except id like neutrals as well and a redesigned scenario for 1939 start date.
    but you still need the technology units like rockets, jets, Heavies, and super subs.

• '10

For the Italians I would light to see a green gray but light gray is okay.

Green-Grayhttp://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms4/italy-Paracadutista.jpg
    Light-Gray

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms4/italian-Sirte.jpg

IL, I miss Klink :-(

• If I was FMG, I’d just start making any pieces in any colors, because its going to be sold out pretty fast anyway for sure. But if we must wait 20 years for a perfect set, that everybody agrees on, nothing will happen. I for once will not be aliwe in 2025 to buy this set.

• Klink is just for Harris site

• Quote from: FieldMarshallGames
    …My Goal so far is the following:  (I am still working with factory on cost)

1. To make a FULL set for each Nation in AA50.  Better quality and greater quantity than provided in the stock game.  These can fully replace the stock units OR complement them.

2. To add two additional colors for expansions ie; BLUE for France and one other color with general sculpts to be used as Neutrals or other nation as required by expansion.

3. To add some new SPECIAL Expansion units to the game.  “Why would some one buy this?” Something new will give the set greater appeal to the general public and and help pay of the cost of the production investment.

First, FMG thanks,
    this would be a great additions to the game;

I would agree with Craig and Moses, build the Italians first,
    you would already be sold out.- immediate action-money-LOL!!

Then, special units, such as tech units or optional units,
    I would buy today-these would also sell well.

Now, with a feel for market, you could add the other nations as well.
    Again, agree with IL, Blue-France would be the second Nation.
    so, this follows your ideas, only suggesting a different priority for the development.

Again many thanks, I hope this goes forward, we buying.

• Yes.  Everyone can agree, Italy First!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m