• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I wonder how much it would cost us?  After all, if WOTC is claiming that the profit margin on Axis and Allies is so pitiful, they wouldn’t charge us too much for the rights, eh?

• @Cmdr:

I wonder how much it would cost us?  After all, if WOTC is claiming that the profit margin on Axis and Allies is so pitiful, they wouldn’t charge us too much for the rights, eh?

Well, we won’t know until we ask, right?

• @Cmdr:

hmm if, the profit margin on this game is so pitiful, older versions of the game must have lost money.

@AxisOfEvil:

@Cmdr:

hmm if, the profit margin on this game is so pitiful, older versions of the game must have lost money.

Da komrad!  WOTC should pay US to take the rights to the older versions!  That way they will stop hemorrhaging cash from the Board Game industry!

I like the way you think!

• Customizer

The problem is that Hasbro owns WOTC and Hasbro and makes more money off action figures and dolls than they can on our ‘Holy Grail’ of a boardgame.

The only reason WOTC is a household name is due to Magic the Gathering. How famous is AD&D ?, TSR was bought out by WOTC. Remember the old WEG Star Wars RPG? A huge license like Star Wars wasn’t enough to save them either. Guess who got that license? WOTC.

I’ll make the prediction that within 2 or 3 years the whole A&A line up will disapear. So my advice is to stock up on A&A products while you still can.

Hasbro’s atittude is that these are toys the same as GI Joe, and if it doesn’t make money it doesn’t get made.

• This is an interesting notion; What is the value of a brand such as Axis & Allies.

Here’s a rumor I know - Hasbro owns Avalon Hill and Avalon Hill owns the Advanced Squad Leader Brand but they license the rights to Multiman Press for $50,000.  So if ASL is worth $50,000 then A&A is a whole lot more.  After all ASL is no where near as popular.

I’d guess Hasbro would look at $500,000 or more for the A&A brand.  My best guess.

Remember Star Wars RPG?  I still play it, have played it since 1995 on Starwarsclub./org which is longer than I’ve been here!  I used to command 40 players in the Imperial Star Fighter Corps (which is what the isfcco means in my email address.  Imperial Star Fighter Corps, Commanding Officer.)

As for AD&D it’s also hugely popular.

Magic?  Well, just like Cabbage Patch Kids and bras made in the shapes of cones, it was a fad that has died out to great extent.  Sure, there’s still a few people in backwater nations and areas that still wear cones on their breasts and have bangs 40 feet into the air, but that’s hardly mainstream anymore. :P

(Yes, I just insulted the 80’s, DEAL WITH IT! Mwhuhahahahaha!)

• On a serious note, it is embarrassing for a large company to have such a useless website.

• Magic?  Well, just like Cabbage Patch Kids and bras made in the shapes of cones, it was a fad that has died out to great extent.  Sure, there’s still a few people in backwater nations and areas that still wear cones on their breasts and have bangs 40 feet into the air, but that’s hardly mainstream anymore. Tongue

(Yes, I just insulted the 80’s, DEAL WITH IT! Mwhuhahahahaha!)

Wow.  You just insulted two of my favorite hobbies: the 80s and Magic.  All in one post.  I don’t know whether to feel offended or admire the fact someone could evoke such negative feelings from me.

I disagree.  Magic is incredibly popular today and Wizards continues to sell more product than when Magic was just a fad (I suppose you’re referring to the mid-late 90s).  Without Magic, I highly doubt WOTC would exist today; certainly not to this extent anyways.  Without WOTC, Hasbro becomes the sole proprietor of Avalon Hill and Axis and Allies.  And as bad as Wizards neglect us, can you imagine Hasbro under full control of Axis and Allies?  Chances are A&A would not have the longevity or new expansions it consistently receives – including A&A:50.  If anything Hasbro would dumb the rules down, make it more Risk-like, and introduce a “Junior’s Edition” like Monopoly.  So be glad Magic kept WOTC alive.

(Originally, I was going to respond with something negative about Star Wars RPG, but I can’t.  The truth is, I love that game too)

Secondly, most of us are products of the 80s.  Were you beaten as a child?  Wait don’t answer that question.  I don’t want to know.

• Customizer

Actually, I never played the WEG version of Star Wars I just like the books.

• Also as far as Jenn’s Idea goes  Atari owns all the electronic rights to the old Avalon Hill board games. They will not release these to MMP and they have no intention of doing anything with Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader. They did put out a joke of a an Axis and Allies RTS game. So forget about anything digital.

Calm down.  My insult of the 80s was in jest, never fear, I remember much of it fondly.  (Ankle warmers and big poofy hair I am glad are gone!  E-gads that was a pain to deal with!)

• I guess the D&D game went into overtime their site still has AA50 as upcoming.  :|

• @LT04:

I guess the D&D game went into overtime their site still has AA50 as upcoming.   :|

Pretty stunning isn’t it? I almost wonder how anyone knew when it would come out considering the publisher doesn’t seem to care.

• Congrats to Avalon Hill.  ONE MONTH after releasing the game, it has been removed from the “Upcoming” section of the website.  AA Anniversary Edition now officially exists.

• As a former US Army NCO I would like to award Avalon hill with the Army’s coveted Failure to Achieve Medal for not only failing to meet the Avalon Hill / WOTC standard but also the low standards they set for them selves.  :evil:

LT

• Congrats to Avalon Hill.  ONE MONTH after releasing the game, it has been removed from the “Upcoming” section of the website.  AA Anniversary Edition now officially exists.

you gotta be kidding. They didn’t update the site at all. They removed AA50 completely! Its not upcoming nor new, nor any direct link to the game from the main site.

Its worse than before!

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Maybe their marketing budget was all wrapped up in mortgage backed securities and Bernard Madoff investments. :D

Seriously though, Avalon Hill’s marketing of this game has been a total joke. They should have given half the money to us, since no one at AH seems to be very interested in promoting their product. Or maybe they don’t even have a marketing budget, just a distribution one.

Yawn

• @Black_Elk:

Or maybe they don’t even have a marketing budget, just a distribution one.

Yawn

Why do they need a marketing budget when there or sites like this to promote the game for them.They new that people that play the game would tell thier friends and they would tell thier friends ands so on.And when there are say 500 hundred people from all over the world reading the fourms at a&a.org the word will spread.

just my 2 cents.

• More like over 10K unique visitors over each month.

AH needs to support products. $100 games don’t sell themselves in a troubled economy.

Its takes us and us alone to safeguard its success, we need to bitch and complain until something respectful is done to properly accommodate the products in a favorable and proper marketing effort. If they don’t do it we have to do what we can to succeed or our hobby will die. At Board game geek rate it a 10 just to give it exposure so people will buy and keep these games coming.

But to do nothing is a great shame. To say “it will take care of itself” is a disservice to why we are here posting and engaging our ideas.

You must care.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m