Opinions of Bad Guy plans for new game

• 1940 2nd Ed German strategy…

I am an in inordinately experienced A&A player, looking for input/exchange on Bad Guy strategy for the newest game

Vielen Dank

• @DermMannInDerHochburg
    Welcome to the forum :-)

For a start you may want to check out this stickied thread:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/19929/germany-playbook-overall-strategy-guide

Have fun :-)

• Out the gate, high praise for the community. Go Falls@!

My main angle is I think G1 ought to begin with full 10 Infantry. On balance, their movement will pair with other available ground-pounders to give you an untenable numbers advantage on a Turn 6 crash into Russia.

They won’t have the numbers, hommie-G will. That simple.

You can do this while pairing with a delay meta against US with Japan. This means that at best, you get a modicum of support fighters from ANZAC and/or India(UK East) that won’t change the calculus.

In theory, US could set up to land up to 10 added fighters in Russia proper before a Turn 6 attack, but that stop leaves them fairly open to a Japan attack, including and especially if Japan never starts the war.

If Japan never starts the war, US path to land fighters in Russia on US Turn 5 follows only one path; and on that path Japan can set up to destroy everything in SZ8…

Thoughts… … . . …?

• And someone should clarify what “DoW” means… Vielen Dank

• DoW means Declaration of War.

Gern geschehen :-)

• @Panther Verdankt

‘little things’ - Walt whitman

• '19 '17 '16

SZ8 - did you mean SZ5? The only way I can see for the US to get fighters to Moscow US5 without a Japan DOW is to camp out in SZ5 and fly from there. Not happening.

They can however get bombers there in two turns via Scotland.

But US help isn’t usually arriving in time without a Japan DOW. Even with one it’s normally indirect by creating another front.

Anyway, back to your Germany plan, 10 infantry is interesting but wouldn’t buying a bunch of artillery be better? Next turn you can add a bunch of mechs. You won’t have any shortage of units attacking at a one for the assault on Moscow.

• I absolutely DID mean SZ5, my bad. Going off of a small Google Image and don’t have my glasses.

Again, bombers will not save Russia, or cost you Germany proper before you take and retain Russia proper… especially if you don’t provoke war with US.

The basic point being you get the best, early shot at Russia proper if you don’t provoke US, and if US sets up for response, it turns out to be a big waste of money and the fighters never reach Russia in time.

Let me know your thoughts…

• @simon33 No, artillery is not better because they have the same movement. The point is to have the best soak stack on Russia sack.

It is necessarily true that you’r best numbers, given a highly predictable set of 3-4 moves is to collapse your G1 buy with all the stragglers from Bulgaria, GSG into Yugo (or not…) into a streamline with your G2 purchase of two-movers. Those are your only new guys getting to Russia Turn 6.

We could debate transports, but movement justifies at most an extra two turn 2 and/or 3. And that begs for a carrier that makes the buy a bad deal for how long those ground-pounders take to hit Russia.

• The idea is you are going for a safety on Tom Brady, and he started at half to the goal.

• '19 '17 '16

If Japan doesn’t DOW, even if the UK don’t fly planes around via the Med you are still adding 3ANZAC fighters, 2UK fighters + a tac.

Plus a bunch of planes which can be built in Persia.

Even worse than that though, Japan just becomes so weak if they don’t DOW.

• '19 '17 '16

But artillery have so much more attack power. Hit soak isn’t everything and attack power isn’t everything but the small compromise in hit works so much better.

Ok, looking at a recent game there was a G1 buy of 6inf 3art and the Moscow battle G6,

There were 52 inf/mechs, 8art 18arm 2ftr 5tac 9bomb
    vs 68 inf/mech, 1arm 1tac 13ftr 2AAA

That was 91% with a +57TUV swing

Changing the 3art bought for 4inf makes it 88% with a +48TUV swing.

And if the G1 buy had been a more conventional 2inf 6art it would have been 92% +65TUV

So art are better.

• @simon33 If You do the Numbers, You could get up to 3-4 ANZAC Fighters, at least 2 UK Tactical, and theoretically 9 UK Fighters… and that would leave India open.

I don’t see why you UK would build Fighters in Persia… that makes zero sense to me.

In theory, there could be a Turn where UK proper first moves all Planes to Scotland, and then move next turn to Archangel/Nenetsia, and then move into Russia proper by Turn 5 UK; moving these Planes into Scotland Turn 3 to make the trip.

Add all That up, Russia would still be short 10 plus units, and You get a Free Hand otherwise.

• '19 '17 '16

If the UK builds fighters in Persia, they can be in Moscow the next turn. That’s the Persia angle.

Going around via Nenetsia may be possible but may not be because Germany can often hit the planes before they reach Moscow.

• @simon33 Artillery don’t move faster than Infantry, and on odds won’t “hit” more stuff to justify taking 7 over 4. I could see going for 7 Mech Turn 1 for movement.

• @simon33 Why waste the $$. Just build in India. Provided UK West hast the Money, you could get that turn 3, but buys you very little. Buy Turn 3, use Turn 4, move Turn 5. Germany goes first Turn 6.

• @simon33 said in Opinions of Bad Guy plans for new game:

If the UK builds fighters in Persia, they can be in Moscow the next turn. That’s the Persia angle.

Going around via Nenetsia may be possible but may not be because Germany can often hit the planes before they reach Moscow.

^^ This

• @simon33 said in Opinions of Bad Guy plans for new game:

But artillery have so much more attack power. Hit soak isn’t everything and attack power isn’t everything but the small compromise in hit works so much better.

Ok, looking at a recent game there was a G1 buy of 6inf 3art and the Moscow battle G6,

And if the G1 buy had been a more conventional 2inf 6art it would have been 92% +65TUV

So art are better.

My last Game had 62 Inf/Mech total. Had 8 Art. Had 17 Tank, Had 3 Fighter after AAA (of 7), Had 10 Tac, Had 5 Strat Bomber attack Turn 6.

105 Units after 3 AAA hits, Russia 95 total units with AA Guns.

Almost cannot lose. 10 Planes will not change it.

• @DermMannInDerHochburg said in Opinions of Bad Guy plans for new game:

@simon33 said in Opinions of Bad Guy plans for new game:

So art are better.

My last Game had 62 Inf/Mech total. Had 8 Art. Had 17 Tank, Had 3 Fighter after AAA (of 7), Had 10 Tac, Had 5 Strat Bomber attack Turn 6.

105 Units after 3 AAA hits, Russia 95 total units with AA Guns.

Almost cannot lose. 10 Planes will not change it.

Over 80 of Russia is Infantry, as Cycles go by you will get More “hits” 99%

That’s 99% vs 'BestBuy’s

• '19 '17 '16

If you assume USSR has 2ftr 2arm 4AAA 1tac in that mix, adding 10 more ftrs changes it from 100% +93TUV to 64% -63TUV. 12 more fighters makes it 42% -135TUV.

Regarding Persia, using the SZ98 TT to activate UK1 means you can get two rounds of buys to Moscow before G6. You can’t spend UK Europe money in India so that’s a bit of a red herring.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m