Question regarding Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

• Will it replace the Revised edition like the second edition replaced the Revised edition?

• No way, this will be an entirely new concept, and Revised aint broken

• It is hard to say. It doesn’t seem likely AH will quit printing the Revised edition not with Anniversary at a price point of $100. But they do have Battle of the Bulge and Guadalcanal at the lower $50ish price.

If they stop printing Revised then Anniversary will have replaced it but I think that will be the determining factor in Avalon Hills regard as to replacing.

As far as we the fans go it will likely be about the same curve as Revised displaced Second (Classic.) There will be those quick to give it up and those who won’t ever give it up. I expect that as far as the sort of organized events around here go it will be solely upon interest whether Revised gets replaced.

• well the new game is down to $69.00 on preorder.

Also, I do feel in the minds of many it will replace Revised in terms of playing INTEREST, which is a good thing because its like reading the same book every night. However, If people keep playing it with 2 people ONLY, it will just be a competing game in the series and the only reason why that would work is if it proved that it was too burdensome to set up or had to many pieces to deal with. It it adds no more than 20% more territories i think it will definatly replace Revised. Now of course Revised will always be played but it will decline in importance and countless masses will be creating house rules and larger maps and ideas for this new game. And of course this is a healthy thing because it brings new life to us like a new child in the family.

Also, the price point may effect its popularity, but $69.00 is a drop in the bucket, very cheap for what you get. I am positive that every self respecting AA fan will own a copy. I just hope they flood the market with these games and get the interest back to more Avalon Hill historical games

I miss the old days when the Milton Bradley version was the ‘Main thing’

• @Imperious:

Also, the price point may effect its popularity, but $69.00 is a drop in the bucket, very cheap for what you get. I am positive that every self respecting AA fan will own a copy. I just hope they flood the market with these games and get the interest back to more Avalon Hill historical games

How do you know what you are going to get?  Do you have any further details that you can provide?

–-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally I think there is a saturation point for A&A games.  I only have some much time/money to invest in playing A&A.  I like becoming very good at a specific game as opposed to playing a few games of many different A&A styles.

I have A&A pacific that I have won due to winning an online A&A tourney but have only played it once.  Perhaps I am just not the ultimate A&A fanatic.

• The first news said $ 150, then it dropped to $ 100, and now it is $69

I was happy when the price was $ 150 because then I would expect high quality, but now I dont know. At $ 69 we get skinny tanks and cruisers in wrong colours, and a rulebook with plenty of flaws, so no sir I am not happy. I will buy it anyway.

• My experience says higher prices not always means higher quality. Remember what Games Workshop does… sure, they’re not AH, but you can get the idea. And I love burnt orange japaneses and limey british  :lol:

I prefer they stay in the 60-70 $ and hope they traslate the price in euros right (euro cost more than US dolar, but lately the companies are pricing 60$=60€  :-P)

• Customizer

150 $ !!! Are you crazy? That would be like a Ferrari… only for the elite. Those that can spend 150 $ in a game represent about 5% or LESS in the Axis & Allies consumers. Such price would NEVER bring profit… Thats why you dont see many people playing The WWII Game…

Avalon Hill wants profit and makes games for the general war gamer public, even at 100$ might be too much, they will only “double” the plastic pieces, and you know what they say: The more you buy, the less you pay… so Why should this game be 100$, more than double price of general Axis & Allies games?

Another possibility is that this game is ONLY anniversary edition with limited numbers, as revised was launched in 2004 and cant be considered OLD in 4 years… if not, expect to see another Super ReRevised Deluxe Edition in 2012 or sooner… you are paying for it… not me for sure.

Also, I hope not to see 100$ = 100€ or 69$ = 69€…

• anniversary edition with limited numbers

This is not limited edition. Its a built up aesthetic remaster of Revised and of course its going to be different because it must evolve with each edition. Now we get another standard version of Revised with a few more bells and whistles and an end of some of the problems that were not resolved. An improvement of the Victory conditions, Sub stall, Defender retreats, German bid and other issues should all be addressed because Revised was also a flawed design.

I hope they remake AAE and AAP into deluxe versions as well and fix them.

AAE would be awesome with Italy in the game.

• I’m okay with the $100 price point and don’t think it is an “elite” price point. It is a lot but then when you set your mind to it it isn’t hard to set aside that money over the course of a summer.

Give up lunches out, depending on how often or if you do eat out, and you can save it up in a hurry. I’m over a quarter of the way there just giving up lunch out on Fridays since I heard the game was coming out.

I’m sure it will be too much for some people but they will be welcome to play a game with me.  :-)

• Well I for one am very excited…and I’ll pay $69 or $169 as long as the board can stand a little more abuse than my Revised board.

We had a Lord of the Rings Risk board that had RED WINE spilled on it, and it came off clean. Get even a little water on the Revised board, and watch your worst nightmares come true!

I don’t need the best quality, I just need an improved game with a slightly better board.  :-P

• @Aretaku:

Well I for one am very excited…and I’ll pay $69 or $169 as long as the board can stand a little more abuse than my Revised board.
    We had a Lord of the Rings Risk board that had RED WINE spilled on it, and it came off clean. Get even a little water on the Revised board, and watch your worst nightmares come true!

The Enlarged Gameboard for revised edition 2004 takes both wine and water ;)

• @Funcioneta:

tay in the 60-70 $ and hope they traslate the price in euros right (euro cost more than US dolar, but lately the companies are pricing 60$=60€  :-P)

If that is true, why the hell dont You buy it in Dollars then???
    I do that when buying in US.

• Because I buy things in EU, even A&A games. Say, I’m Spanish  :-P. The bad thing is that it is a trouble even with European Union companies games, as Games Workshop. Imagine when you see: box of space marines in Europe 30 €, in US, 30$  :? (GW is british, sending cost should be lower to EU than to USA).

For that I’m a bit frightened AH make the same  :|

• just buy the game and stop being so cheap

• @scheidelin:

The Enlarged Gameboard for revised edition 2004 takes both wine and water ;)

Er du Jonas eller Kenneth ?

Og hvorfor er forumet til aaclubdk.dk alltid stengt ?

• @Adlertag:

just buy the game and stop being so cheap

The companies are the cheap ones… wait… they are not cheap, they are expensive …  :-D

• @Funcioneta:

My experience says higher prices not always means higher quality. Remember what Games Workshop does… sure, they’re not AH, but you can get the idea. And I love burnt orange japaneses and limey british  :lol:

I prefer they stay in the 60-70 $ and hope they traslate the price in euros right (euro cost more than US dolar, but lately the companies are pricing 60$=60€  :-P)

In my experience, Games Workshop plastic models are easier to work with than pewter models, and although a fair number of the plastic sculpts (pewter too) are of questionable quality, some are quite good.  Also, Games Workshop has excellent customer service in the United States as of my last experiences.

However, I have to admit my opinion is also that Games Workshop has absolute garbage for organization as far as writing rulebooks goes, and that their approach to independent retailers and trade sales in the United States requires a lot of improvement.

^^

As far as the Avalon Hill game goes, I find that it is already a bit difficult to find real-life players to play Axis and Allies Revised (the online community is pretty good, but that’s another story).  The game requires a lot of setup time, is repetitive, and runs into problems with cooperative play when your comrades don’t share the same plan as you (whether they’re just not into the game, or whether they have their own strong but wildly fluctuating ideas).  For that reason, I am not sure a price tag of 100-150 is something I would be willing to meet.

I would spend 100-150 no problem if I could just PLAY the d*** thing.

Oh wait . . . someone on these boards (you knoes who you are) already said he’d send me one for free . . .  :-D so I guess i don’t need to worry about the price after all . . .  :lol:

• @Bunnies:

Oh wait . . . someone on these boards (you knoes who you are) already said he’d send me one for free . . .  :-D so I guess i don’t need to worry about the price after all . . .  :lol:

Well lets see, its April 1 today, you aprils fool, so much for a free game he he he

• @Bunnies:

Also, Games Workshop has excellent customer service in the United States as of my last experiences.

Then, it’s far better than customer service in Spain. And better if we don’t talk about translations. They translate books to catalan in Poland and to spanish in Catalonia  :-P

I must agree with all the other things you said  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m