• We need some assistance in clarifying an amphibious assault situation, Axis & Allies Anniversary edition, Spring 1941

Gibraltar currently is occupied by the Axis with 2 German infantry and 1 Italian fighter and 1 German destroyer is in sea zone #12.
    Sea zone #7 is occupied with 2 British Aircraft carries with 4 fighters aboard, 3 destroyers, and 2 transports.
    The British are conducting an amphibious assault on Gibraltar, they load 2 infantry and 2 tanks from the UK onto their transports in sz #7, and move entire navy into sz #12.
    Per the rule book: “Step 1. If there are defending warships, sea combat must occur.”(Germany has 1 destroyer in sz #12)
    “If sea combat occurs, all attacking and defending, sea and air units present must participate in the battle.” use “the rules for General combat”
    General combat " Combat in each space takes place at the same time, but each affected territory or sea zone is resolved separately and completely before resolving combat in the next contested space"
    Since there is a defending sea unit, sea combat must occur and all attacking sea and air units participate in the battle thus a combat phase for those units occurs.
      “Step 2 Battleship and Cruiser Bombardment”, this step does not apply since the attacking allies have neither units.
    “Step 3 Land Combat If there was no sea battle or the sea zone has been cleared off all defending enemy units except transports and submerged submarines, and the attacker still has land units committed to the costal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle board and conduct combat using the general combat rules”.

DOES THIS ALLOW THE FIGHTERS, WHO HAVE ALREADY PARTICAPTED IN A SEPERATE COMBAT PHASE, TO ALSO ATTACK IN A SECOND COMBAT PHASE WITH THE LANDING AMPHIBIOUS UNITS IN THE SAME TURN?

The allies are arguing that this paragraph at the bottom on the Amphibious Assault rules allows them to designate that all the fighters don’t need to participate in the step 1 phase of the combat sequence.
    “If no land units (carried as cargo) survived the sea combat, or if the attacking sea units withdrew from the sea combat, then any other units that were designated to participate in the land attack (including air units) must still conduct one round of land combat in a regular attack on the intended hostile territory before they can retreat”.

So, do the fighters get to split apart and disregard step 1 rules “all attacking and defending sea and air units present must participate in the battle” against the destroyer or do they get to participate in two separate combat phases in a single turn?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

• Air Units: Each attacking air unit may participate in the sea battle or the attack on the coastal territory; it cannot do both. The attacking player must declare which air units are involved in each part of the attack and cannot change their assignments later. At the end of the amphibious assault, all aircraft remain in place; they will land during the Noncombat Move phase.

This is what I found in rules. This is for AA 50
    Anniversary edition.  You may have posted this in wrong thread if that is the game your playing. Or is it just the 1941 game ?

• We are playing the anniversary edition, spring 1941

But the amphibious rules state, that all attacking sea and naval units must participate in the naval combat to clear the sea zone?

• @jyrenger:

We are playing the anniversary edition, spring 1941

Ok then next time you have to post your questions in the anniversary thread. This thread is for the 1941 AA game. Yes that is the rule.
    Welcome to site.

• @jyrenger:

We are playing the anniversary edition, spring 1941

But the amphibious rules state, that all attacking sea and naval units must participate in the naval combat to clear the sea zone?

Read further down rules. I think it was page 10

• I am reading the Amphibious Assault rules, my booklet has them on page 17, are you saying to read in the Step 3 Land Combat section?

• Also i will repost this original question in the right section, oops my bad.

• @jyrenger:

I am reading the Amphibious Assault rules, my booklet has them on page 17, are you saying to read in the Step 3 Land Combat section?

Sorry page 18 at top of leftside

Moderator will just move it if they want

• Well i am a dumb a** , ty for the information,  i cant believe i didnt turn the page and read on, i thought it was done at the bottom of page 17, total idiot here today. U may move the post if u want, but honestly I prefer to jyst delete my stupidity today. Lol

• Not to worry I did it probably and so have others. Even though you may think its  stupid ask any question you want. Plenty of people will give you a reply.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m