• Hi everyone, I have just bought my copy of A&A anniversary edition and this is my first time playing the game :). I must admit, this board game is really huge and I had a great time playing with my friends but I would like to clarify with you guys regarding some rules as our first game was pretty “messed” up  :-D.

1. If there are only air units(fighters, bombers) attacking a territory consisting of only land infantries(infantry, tanks), will the land infantries be able to defend against the air units by themselves without an AA gun?

2. During an amphibious assault, will my cruisers and battleships take any damage during the opponent’s “defense” turn?

3. How do I tell between the naval ship pieces? Its really really hard to distinguish the pieces from each other if your a first timer!

Thanks! :)

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Hellamatrix!  I’m glad you’re enjoying the game.

@hellamatrix:

1. If there are only air units(fighters, bombers) attacking a territory consisting of only land infantries(infantry, tanks), will the land infantries be able to defend against the air units by themselves without an AA gun?

Yes, they will.  Unless the rules specifically state otherwise, any unit can hit any other unit.  An example of a specific exception is that subs can’t hit planes.

@hellamatrix:

1. During an amphibious assault, will my cruisers and battleships take any damage during the opponent’s “defense” turn?

No.  They are not eligible to be chosen as casualties, as they are not on the battle board.

@hellamatrix:

1. How do I tell between the naval ship pieces? Its really really hard to distinguish the pieces from each other if your a first timer!

This image should help you out.

Also, if you haven’t seen the FAQ yet, you really need to check it out.  It’s full of important rules errata and clarifications.

• Krieghund: Thanks for the pictures of the units.  I try to tell the units apart by size.  The biggest naval unit is the battleship, the other one that looks like a battleship but smaller is the cruiser, the skinny one is the destroyer, the aircraft carrier and submaries are the easiest to tell apart, and then you have transports left.  With the picture it will be more helpful.

• Thanks alot Krieghund, I did read the FAQs and rulebook multiple times already :)

• +1 to everyone!

• hellamatrix,

Welcome to axisandallies.org!

Jump right in and join the discussions!

If you have the free time, try out the PBF (Play by Forum) section and start playing here online.

• @Bardoly:

hellamatrix,

Welcome to axisandallies.org!

Jump right in and join the discussions!

If you have the free time, try out the PBF (Play by Forum) section and start playing here online.

Hey there! I might try it sometime soon :). Oh yes, I have two more rules clarification questions to ask!

1. For the 1941 setup, during Japan’s first turn, is it possible if I send my CV along with my fighters to engage pearl harbour (SZ57 -> SZ53) and if they survive, can I still move my CV from (SZ57 -> SZ51) during the non-combat move since it has one more move remaining?

2. If my navy fleet consisting of battleships and transports engage an enemy navy fleet within a seazone that has a island in it e.g. Pearl Harbour, can I still unload my transports during the same turn if my navy fleet defeats the enemy navy fleet?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

1 - No, once a unit moves into a combat zone, it cant move again that turn unless you are retreating. the only other exception, is that Aircraft can move in Non combat to land.

2 - Yes, if you win the naval battle, you can do the land battle.  but if your attempt fails at sea, then your units will not unload.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I have a Question!

1. 1 crusier 1 destroyer and 4 loaded transports attack 3 subs in sz 6, the intent being to win the sea battle, then land 8 units in NWE.

the cruiser hits, the destroyer misses, BUT! all 3 Subs hit!

does this destroy the Entire attacking navy? or just 1 crs 1 dst 1 trn, allowing the other 3 trn’s to escape?

My gut tells me, I can retreat the remaining trn’s but is my gut wrong?

• @Gargantua:

does this destroy the Entire attacking navy? or just 1 crs 1 dst 1 trn, allowing the other 3 trn’s to escape?

As these 3 surviving transports are attacking transports they can retreat. It would be different if they were defending transports… then they would be autodestroyed (p19).

HTH :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m